• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The deadwood chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson scored for Fulham - could be a good signing for them. Thrives in the pace of the Championship.

Agree. He looked the biz for Derby when he played in that division before, and there are other good players in their squad. If it weren't for the fact that they've gone and hired Marco Silva I'd tip them for a quick return to the Prem.

https://www.goal.com/en-ae/news/liv...-exit-fulham-house/16bjo2dzzb8id1e15btrua4n2z

[article]In an exclusive interview with Goal, the Wales international reflects on his 16 years on Merseyside and how his £12m move to Craven Cottage came about
When the end finally came, Harry Wilson knew it.

He could wait no longer. After 16 years dreaming of a career at Liverpool, the Welshman knew he had to move on this summer.

“I’d been thinking that for a couple of years, to be honest,” Wilson tells Goal, reflecting on his £12 million ($17m) transfer to Fulham in July.

“I wouldn’t say it was an easy thing to do, but it is definitely the right thing for me. I know I’ve made the right decision.”

There was a time, not so long ago, when Wilson thought he had a chance of making it at Anfield.

“It was in 2019, when I came back from Derby,” he recalls. “I’d had a really good season in the Championship. We fell at the last hurdle in the play-off final, but my numbers were good, my performances were good.

“That pre-season at Liverpool, we played a few games in England and then went out to America and France. I played pretty much every game, scored a few goals and felt like I was in a good position.

“Then we played Manchester City in the Community Shield at Wembley and I was 19th man. The disappointment of that really hit me.

“I felt that was my chance, and it had gone. I thought I’d done all I could, and I think that was when I started to accept that I’d have to leave.”

Wilson, it should be stressed, holds no bitterness. He accepts it was always going to be difficult to force his way into Jurgen Klopp’s plans, no matter how well he was doing out on loan.

“I’m not daft,” he says. “I know the quality of that Liverpool squad, and I know I wasn’t going to go and play every week like I wanted to.

"The front three rarely miss a game, and their numbers are scary. I was never going to get in ahead of them.

“Even playing as a No.8 or a No.10, they’re pretty well stocked in those areas too!”

Does he feel he might have had more than two senior appearances, though?

“Yeah maybe,” he admits. “Obviously from my point of view I feel a little disappointed I didn’t get more opportunities. And yeah, there were players around who maybe got a few more than I did.

“I go back to that Derby season. When I came back, I had maybe 50 games under my belt at a good level. That was the time for me.

“And looking back, yeah, I am a bit gutted that I wasn’t given maybe half a season at least to prove I deserved to be part of that group.”

He reflects on his time at Liverpool and he counts himself lucky.

“To spend 16 years at a club like that, the club you and your family have always supported, it’s special,” he says.

“I have so many good memories. I look at the coaches I worked under and I think ‘how fortunate was I?!’ People like [Rangers coach] Mick Beale, probably the biggest influence on my career. Neil Critchley, what a coach he is. Look at the job he’s doing now with Blackpool.

“There are so many. Steve Cooper, Mike Marsh, Rodolfo Borrell, Alex Inglethorpe...great coaches and great people.”

He says he will return to Merseyside at some point to say a proper goodbye, having had to rush from Liverpool’s training camp in Austria to complete his move to Fulham.

“They were playing a friendly against Mainz when the call came,” he says. “I got to say bye to Robbo [Andy Robertson], Virgil [van Dijk] and Joe [Gomez], but me and Jools [Ward, the assistant sporting director] had to dash to catch the flight so I missed the rest of the lads.”

He doesn’t hesitate when he recalls his standout memories from Liverpool.

“Getting my debut was huge,” he says. “That was the moment I’d worked towards since the age of eight, so I’ll never forget that.

“But in terms of individual moments, I scored a goal against Everton for the Under-18s, a winner in the 94th minute, which was a bit special. That will always stick out.

“Mick Beale was the manager and he didn’t start me in the game. I was fuming. I remember him telling me I’d have a big part to play and, as usual, he was right!”

Now, the focus is on the memories to come. Fulham is the focus, promotion is the aim. Who knows, maybe Reds fans will see Wilson at Anfield again in the not-too-distant future.

“That’d be nice wouldn’t it,” he smiles. “Surreal, but nice!”[/article]

That interview does Wilson credit - no moaning or self-pity, just level-headed realism and a clear wish to look and go forward from here. Best of luck to him.

Yeah, thought so too. Hope we see him back in the Prem at some point.

Fulham had the youngest squad in the league last year from what I recall. They held onto most of their best players, I'd back them to come back up this season.

What's going on with Ojo, Woodburn, Davies and Rhys?

Surely they're not going to hang around this season.
Maybe the loan offers come later in the window?

I reckon a lot of these are shaping up to be deadline day last minuters

Nice interview from Harry there. One of his biggest challenges is that his role & skill set doesn't fit into the Klopp model, in many other seasons or under different LFC managers he might have had more chance to prove himself but I still can't look at the team and say where he would start. Wide forward? no. Attacking mid in the CM trio? no. Tough on the kid but he's going to stand out for Fulham and still has plenty of time to make his mark on the PL.

Fulham had the youngest squad in the league last year from what I recall. They held onto most of their best players, I'd back them to come back up this season.

Probably hired the wrong manager though..

Klopp and Ljinders continue to praise Woodburn's attitude and workrate throughout pre-season, particularly around his versatility. Whether this is to try and flush out a potential buyer (high risk/high reward), or whether we will genuinely keep him as a bench option, I can't quite work out.

Klopp and Ljinders continue to praise Woodburn's attitude and workrate throughout pre-season, particularly around his versatility. Whether this is to try and flush out a potential buyer (high risk/high reward), or whether we will genuinely keep him as a bench option, I can't quite work out.
I think we're looking for a buyer. His contract expires next year.

I think we're looking for a buyer. His contract expires next year.

Lets be honest, if we offered him a new contract, he'd take it. I'm definitely leaning towards a "he's great... look how many positions he can play... £5m please" scenario though.

Lets be honest, if we offered him a new contract, he'd take it. I'm definitely leaning towards a "he's great... look how many positions he can play... £5m please" scenario though.
Yeah, it's a bit too late for him. Too many players ahead of him in the team as well. He needs to start playing and performing at a high level consistently.

He's only 21
Yeah, Elliott is 18 and Jones is 20 and both are ahead of him.
Woodburn turns 22 in 2 months, he needs games and he's not gonna get them at LFC.
A few League cup games and a few FA cup games that's about it.
Doesn't mean that he doesn't have a future in the club. He just needs to prove himself or its gonna be another Wilson story or worse.

I guess these outgoings are to cover the Konate deal. Don't think we'll be adding any more players .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom