• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The incredible Xabi Alonso thread 2009.

spider-Neil

Well-Known
RAFA BENITEZ insists Xabi Alonso will remain at Anfield beyond this summer.

The 27-year-old’s future has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks with Arsenal, Manchester City and Real Madrid all linked with a move for the Spaniard.

Alonso, who is fit to return to the squad for tomorrow’s clash at West Brom, has enjoyed an impressive campaign at the heart of Liverpool’s midfield.

And the Reds boss has ruled out sacrificing him to fund any squad rebuilding.

“Xabi has been doing really well this season,†Benitez said.

“He’s a key player for us and with him being fit again it will give us a different option in midfield.

“Xabi has been talking about how he wants to stay here and we certainly want to keep him so I don’t think there will be any problems.â€

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...at-anfield-says-rafa-benitez-100252-23635558/

Re: Xabi Alonso will stay at Anfield, says Rafa Benitez

Please god let that be an end to it!

I choose to not to trust Rafa 100%.

I think if Real madrid offer 25M for Xabi? rafa will say yes.

YESSSSS!!!

That's very good news!

If Rafa says 'the player is on the transfer list as of today', it isn't going to do his market value any favours now is it.

Can't be true, the inner sanctum of SCM's boardroom have it on good authority he's gone. So much so it was worth a 200-page "Rafa is a cunt thread".

[quote author=Mors link=topic=33578.msg869532#msg869532 date=1242644597]
If Rafa says 'the player is on the transfer list as of today', it isn't going to do his market value any favours now is it.
[/quote]

Oh come on Mors.

We slate Rafa when he doesn't come out to say Alonso staying and when he does just that you say something like that?

I really wonder what Rafa has to do sometimes.

[quote author=Ong link=topic=33578.msg869529#msg869529 date=1242644481]

[/quote]

Spot on. Did anyone else pick up on this
so I don’t think there will be any problems
?

Almost anyone can go for the right price and RM may well just offer us it.

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=33578.msg869563#msg869563 date=1242646816]
[quote author=Ong link=topic=33578.msg869529#msg869529 date=1242644481]

[/quote]

Spot on. Did anyone else pick up on this
so I don’t think there will be any problems
?

Almost anyone can go for the right price and RM may well just offer us it.
[/quote]

You seem to forget the small hick up. Alonso to Real Madrid would actually makes some sence, and sensible transfers are not the type of transfers the fuckheads are known for!

Thank fuck for that!!!

Please let this be the end of this fucking tiresome saga

[/quote]

So Benitez is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, is that it?

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=33578.msg869634#msg869634 date=1242649484]
[/quote]

So Benitez is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, is that it?

[/quote]

Not really at all. Do you think I'm slagging Rafa here? I'm saying don't read too much into what he's saying, as what others have said - If the right money comes in, then he'll go.

I think Rafa has said the right thing in this case.

On a side note, if Alonso was to go at the right price, and we brought in a replacement that equal/better than Xabi, then I couldn't give two hoots.

he insisted Keane was staying back in January, it means nothing.

:D

This is a positive article, but then again he said we wouldn't be selling Keane, and we did.

Liverpool's Xabi Alonso target for Real Madrid
Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has been linked with a £21 million move to Real Madrid - but only if Florentino Perez is elected president.

By Telegraph staff
Published: 9:22AM BST 19 May 2009

According to the Star, Alonso's agent has been sounded out regarding a move to the Bernabeu, with Perez's camp claiming they will make Rafa Benitez an offer he cannot refuse and beat off competition for the player from the likes of Barcelona and Arsenal.

Alonso still has three years left to run on his current deal at Anfield, but his agent, Inaki Ibanez, said: "Many things could happen in the summer.

"The first is to finish the season and after that to attend to other matters. Xabi has signed for three more years and his future depends on Liverpool."

Alonso has been an ever-present for Liverpool this campaign, as Benitez's men pushed Manchester United all the way in the race for the Premier League title.

However, it was only last summer that Liverpool were reportedly willing to sell the 27-year-old and replace him with Aston Villa's Gareth Barry - a player Benitez could go back in for during the summer transfer window.

Liverpool have also been linked with a move for 20-year-old Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez, although they have baulked at the £20m asking price.

£21mill, cash upfront would be a good deal for Xabi.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=33578.msg870319#msg870319 date=1242723610]
£21mill, cash upfront would be a good deal for Xabi.
[/quote]

Guilleme Ballague for what his opinion is worth reckons that Liverpool will accept an offer of 30m euro.

[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=33578.msg869640#msg869640 date=1242649800]
he insisted Keane was staying back in January, it means nothing.

[/quote]

To be fair, he didn't 'insist'. When cornered on TV and asked if he thought anything would happen before the deadline, he said, 'I don't think so'. It was hardly insisting. That doesn't, however, undermine your basic point. We can't be that sure of any statement at this stage.

For every 'Alonso will stay article', there are another two 'Alonso to Madrid' ones.

It's gonna be a long summer.

Quite. Sky are now saying Madrid are ready with a 21m bid if perez gets elected.

Yeah but sky are quoting the star. Balague was on sky news sayin that madrid had a few pre contract agreements wit some players and that included alonso, as well as villa, ribery and ronaldo.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=33578.msg869635#msg869635 date=1242649517]
Saucer of milk for Ryan's table!
[/quote]

Indeed.

I can see him being reminded of this comment at some stage during the summer.

[quote author=barrymac20 link=topic=33578.msg870838#msg870838 date=1242770981]
Yeah but sky are quoting the star. Balague was on sky news sayin that madrid had a few pre contract agreements wit some players and that included alonso, as well as villa, ribery and ronaldo.
[/quote]

What exactly are 'pre-contract agreements' when someone isn't coming up for a Bosman?? A wink from an agent that their client will not necessarily be disinclined to discuss a move if their club approves a deal? Can it legally be anything more meaningful (meaaningless) than that, bearing in mind the player is still under contract?

Based on what he was saying about ronaldo its an agreement between the clubs. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

From the Mirror:

Aston Villa are offering Gareth Barry a huge new deal in a final attempt to keep him out of Liverpool's clutches.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill is willing to sanction England midfielder Barry, 28, getting a whopping £80,000-a-week to stay.

The star has one year left on his contract at Villa Park and had been widely expected to move to Liverpool this summer.

But O'Neill hopes the proposed new deal, plus the lure of regular first team football, the captaincy and offer of a testimonial, will tempt Barry to stay.

Liverpool, who failed with four bids for Barry last summer, remain interested in the left-footed maestro, who has 29 caps.

But Villa have once again shown their determination to retain their prized asset by offering to break their wage structure in a bid to keep him.

Villa's England prospect Ashley Young is the club's current highest earner on £56,000-a-week.

Yet Villa are willing to top that with an offer to Barry which reflects what he could have earned had he moved to Anfield last summer.

Villa officials are now hopeful Barry may extend his stay in the West Midlands since making his debut in 1998.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/05/20/aston-villa-s-huge-deal-for-gareth-barry-to-keep-him-from-liverpool-115875-21373128/

For what it's worth I don't think we'll sell Xabi

Benitez knows that so long as his team runs United close he's going to keep his job, and Xabi is part of a central midfield which is crucial to our style and manner of play; changing it now, particularly after such a fine season, will represent an enormous risk which he may ultimately be judged for.

Sure we may get an extra £10M from the Barry, Alonso trade but that's one half of Antonio Valencia in today's market.

Do the right thing Rafa!

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=33578.msg870840#msg870840 date=1242771070]
[quote author=Brendan link=topic=33578.msg869635#msg869635 date=1242649517]
Saucer of milk for Ryan's table!
[/quote]

Indeed.

I can see him being reminded of this comment at some stage during the summer.
[/quote]

Fair enough.

And if Alonso doesn't leave, will you retract your completely unsubstantiated 'Rafa's a cunt' attack from a month or so ago?

Back
Top Bottom