• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Konate Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most injury prone team in the premierleague buying an injury prone centre back.

What could go wrong?

The good thing about him is that he's another potential top quality CB we'll have who can rotate with Gomez and Matip for that space beside Virgil.

They'll be able to share 38 games a season, between them.. given each will be out for at least a third of the campaign.

Ah look, we all wanted a CB. Looks like we're getting a tall fast one. Will come in handy as we play a high line and opposition teams surrender possession to us. His injury concerns is an obvious concern but we don't seem to factor this into our thinking do we? Klopp seems happy to take calculated risks on the players he wants. Doesn't always work out for us so it can be very frustrating. Anyway Super NAT will deputise when someone is injured. That should be CB sorted. Fingers crossed we don't lose three at the same time next season.
Lose three and we'll still have two left ;)

I wouldn't get rid of Matip. He could come in handy for 10 games a season when he's actually fit. We don't know how Virgil will react after his serious injury, likewise Gomez, and we don't know how Konate will settle. Nat Phillips has been great, so should play a back up role. There's lots of variables, and we should assume the worst case scenario. We have 3, maybe 4 potentially injury prone centre backs there. We can't run the risk of a crisis again, nor can we take Fabinho out of midfield. I'd even be tempted to sign Kabak, too.

I wouldn't get rid of Matip. He could come in handy for 10 games a season when he's actually fit. We don't know how Virgil will react after his serious injury, likewise Gomez, and we don't know how Konate will settle. Nat Phillips has been great, so should play a back up role. There's lots of variables, and we should assume the worst case scenario. We have 3, maybe 4 potentially injury prone centre backs there. We can't run the risk of a crisis again, nor can we take Fabinho out of midfield. I'd even be tempted to sign Kabak, too.
signing Kabak will be going a it too far but I agree with rest. We are gaining more by keeping them at the club than selling any of them for some cheap €.

@Piedro shared this pic:

187210465_4537358546293709_8894885410507432344_n.jpg

Avvy-esque...

We wouldn't be doing it to raise easy money though. We'd be doing it because we're after more certainty in selection and future planning. I'm torn over Matip because I rate him and don't particularly want to see him leave, but "perm any two injury risks from four" isn't a selection policy I like the look of.

There's no point buying Kabak and keeping Matip and Gomez. Assuming we keep Phillips - which we should - and we're keeping Davies - which we apparently are that would be VVD, Konate, Gomez, Matip, Kabak and Phillips for two spots which Klopp doesn't massively want to rotate. If the argument for signing Kabak is that Gomez and Matip can't be relied on, then surely we should just sell Gomez and Matip, free up some wages, recoup some cash and spend it higher up the pitch on Mbappe?

signing Kabak will be going a it too far but I agree with rest. We are gaining more by keeping them at the club than selling any of them for some cheap €.

Yeah, it probably is overkill, but I think the severity of VVD's injury, and the severity and regularity of Gomez and Matip's injuries, means there's no guarantees those 3 players will reach the heights and consistency of previous seasons.

Then, with my extremely cursory glance at Konate's injury record, plus the question marks over any new signing, means that we should exercise caution with him, too.

That leaves Phillips as the only player without any sort of question mark over, and even he was deemed not good enough by the club right up until 9 months ago.

I don’t think so. But then Klopp made some noises about him “having a role to play” or something didn’t he? Bit odd

Graham Carter, our kit man, just retired, right? And we haven't put out an ad for a new kit man?

So now we have VVD, JoGo, Matip, konate, and Nat. Assuming Konate happens.

Surely someone to leave.

Not to mention Davies and Kabak who I'm sure were just to get us through the season. I feel for Kabak. I thought he did very well.

So now we have VVD, JoGo, Matip, konate, and Nat. Assuming Konate happens.

Surely someone to leave.

Not to mention Davies and Kabak who I'm sure were just to get us through the season. I feel for Kabak. I thought he did very well.
Considering how this season went, and the unseen potential of further disruption (thru pandemic or injuries) I'm very happy to see us with 5 CBs any of which we would be happy with. CL group games (esp. if dead rubbers), Domestic Cups, playing the most suitable CB for the opposition (e.g. Konate or Phillips against high ball teams), substitutions (now possible with such good bench CBs) and cover for injuries should see all get a fair crack.

4 CBs is a healthy amount, plus one CB who is only available ≤half the season due to injury.

That could apply to any of our CBs with the exception of Phillips. And he's never in his career played a full season at senior level so we really don't really know how he will hold up over the longer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom