1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Top 6 - Your Pick

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Kay Age El, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kay Age El

Kay Age El Well-Known Member

The more I think of it the more I'm struggling to pick only 6 teams for the top six spots this Season.

This isn't a thread about who's going to win it all, but more so about whether there's an obvious top to be regarded and what teams you'll include in there? Does a top six pick itself or does the pack look more competitive than ever?

Arsenal - Because they are always there or thereabouts, almost winning something. Difficult if not impossible to exclude them from a top six spot. Right? Özil, Sanchez, Kocielny, Giroud, Ramsey, Wilshere and new boy Xhaka doesn't sound too shabby.

Chelsea - They'll obv be far better than last Season, anything else would be ridiculous with that squad, and with a new manager that many of us rate (I do, at least) and a few proper signings to boot with Kanté looking the pick of the crop they'll be right at the top. Probably.

Man City - Well, more or less what I said above, Pep will make them better overall, more cohesive and better balanced. Nolito and Gundogan will make their extremely large squad even bigger and Kompany will be back. PS Now there's even talk of Leroy Sane joining too, which would make them look even more scary from an opponents view.

Man Utd - Zlatan (& Pogba)

Liverpool - Klopp has assembled a strong looking squad with both talent, grit and power. Still question marks over several players but in overall a team that should/would/could be at the top come May. At least I hope so.

Spurs - They have somehow managed to keep their young squad intact and it's a strong one at that, and one that has also had time to develop another year. Janssen could prove to be a clever pick-up and Wanyama is a marvelous signing for them. A midfield of Dier, Wanyama and Dembele could boss most opponents.

Leicester - The expected/feared exodus has so far been absent, well, apart from losing their splendid anchor in Kante which could prove costly. However, they very much won the Prem as a team why the change of one cog in that well-lubricated wheel won't make it stop spinning. Musa could be another incredible signing for them, him and Vardy both will be more than a handful for many a defense. Only a blinkered fool would dare to write them off completely at this stage. (That said, they might struggle good and end up somewhere in the middle of the peloton, but it's too early to say isn't it).

West Ham - New amazing venue, Payet and Andy Carroll - what can possibly go wrong? Well, a lot probably, but I doubt they'll be weakened in any way compared to last season. Rather the opposite, making them a very hard team to beat again and also a difficult one to keep at bay.

S'oton - Last Seasons number 6th, yet another amazing achievement by a team that's constantly selling their best players to Liverpool. Now they've lost another foursome of stars in Mané, Wanyama, Pellé and manager Koeman so surely now is the season years of sell-out will show? Probably. However, they've once again managed to buy great talent in central midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Anfield bound in 2018), Redmond could be a shrewd signing as well and they've still got Tadic, European Champion Fonte, Rodriguez, Austin and Bertrand. It's a slim squad however so they'll need two or three newcomers yet to once again be able to finish in the top 6.

Everton - Koeman will probably do them a world of good and in Barkley they've potentially got one of the best midfielders in the Premier League imo. Mirallas, Lukaku and Deulofeu adds a lot of spark but they'll probably also need a few new signings still to go all the way to the top.

The Rest

I think we'll be able to put names to the top 6 of next Season via the above mentioned teams, however, if there were someone less backed to pave their way in, unscrupulous-like as Leicester did last year, here's my two dark horses.

Crystal Palace - Especially so if they can land Benteke, as they've then got a pretty decent first XI with players like Cabaye, Zaha and Campbell. Even Townsend could come in handy could they bag our big Belgian as their striker.

Boro - Okay, this is a bit far fetched and slightly biased as I don't know too much abut their fringe players. But I do know that Viktor Fischer and Alvaro Negredo will get them goals, x-factor and flair (both could well end up being mentioned as candidates for bargains of the Season come May 17). Even Rhodes could be a handful for a lot of teams and then they've got Stuart Downing as well - for inexplicable reasons I am looking forward to see him in the Premiership again. Was he perhaps better than what we gave him credit for back then? They've actually also got 'our' Ayala on their books and he's been drawing the plaudits in their defense.

That's about that.. so, what is your guess for a top 6 in the upcoming Season then? I am still struggling to pick only six to be honest.. and whom do you reckon could upset the experts and punch well above their weight?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Mo(ssa)d Administrator

1.  Liverpool
    2.  Meh
    3.  Meh
    4.  Meh
    5.  Meh
    6.  Meh

tombrown, Cerberus, peekay and 3 others like this.
  3. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

Without European football and an injury free season?
    We're definitely contenders.

A lot of unknown factors though.
    City, Man U, Chelsea all with new managers.
    Arsenal basically keeping the same team.
    Same goes for Spurs.

Mourinho often wins the league in his first season.

Based on those factors...

I haven't got a clue. The chance of us getting a top 4 place is about as high as us battling it out for 7th.

Markeh and Kay Age El like this.
  4. Brizzle

Brizzle Well-Known Member

I have a horrible feeling about United. They had some under used players last season (Schneiderlein being the main one) and I can see Mourinho setting the team up optimally. Just need to hope Zlatan gets off to a slow start.

I think Top 6 will be all of the big guns this year:

Liverpool
    United
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Spurs

(not necessarily in that order)

Kay Age El likes this.
  5. Kay Age El

I am thinking along the same lines as you but I have a suspicious feeling that one of the really big ones in us, the two Manchester teams and Chelsea will endure a horrendous Season. I think Arsenal and Spurs will thrive from the fact they are so well knit and hopefully Klopp will be the glue that'll stick us to the top. So maybe one of United or Chelsea?

If that should indeed happen that one would flop I think I'd be tempted to put Leicester in there despite the fact they also have to play in Europe. Or if not them then West Ham.

Yeah, I obviously don't know.

6. Mors

Mors Well-Known Member

Utd
    City
    Us
    Arse
    Chelsea
    Leicester
    Spurs

7. Kay Age El

Yeah, good shout, that's seven though..

8. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

i'm sticking with my predictions that no Euro football for Chelsea / Liverpool have will have a big impact on the final standings this coming season whilst new managers, tactics, formations and players will need time to settle into some teams.

1. Chelsea
    2. City
    3. Liverpool
    4. United
    5. Arsenal
    6. Spurs

I think we have a squad that runs deep now (bar the FB & 'DM' slots) and that there should be plenty of cover for purely domestic competitions. We saw that injuries were a major issue for Liverpool, United and Newcastle last season (a major contributory factor to Newcastle's demise and LFC & MUFC under-performing), (see link 160518.png), we even had 11 players out at one time in January (interesting how Chelsea under performed despite having a relatively low number of injuries), i.e Liverpool 284 match days lost to injury, United 243, Arsenal 239, City 211, Spurs 149, Chelsea 134, Leicester 77.

These two factors (squad depth and injuries) will be key this season, maybe even more so than previously with such strong competition in the PL and with the addition of an extended number of Euro games for some.

A case could be made for any of the top 10 teams in the league to do well (I'm not talking about winning the title). It's a fascinating season ahead and I can't wait for it to start !

LeTallecWiz likes this.
  9. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Mo(ssa)d Administrator

I'll try to be serious since Kristian didn't like my Dumbeldore response ... BAH.

1.  City (They aren't the best team but Chelsea will struggle - their defense is a year older, they lack a top class motivated striker and they'll rely heavily on Hazard - who's head will be turned as ZIdane sweet talks him more and more)
    2.  United
    3.  Spurs
    4.  Us
    5.  Chelsea
    6.  Arsenal

Kay Age El likes this.
  10. Kay Age El

Good man!

I agree with your views on Chelsea, so poor last Season and not that many new faces introduced still. Conte will make them better though.

They could struggle a bit still and I can't see them win it really.

11. Nir.Barak

Nir.Barak Very Active Member

I'd be much more worried if Utd didn't get Zlatan.
    He's old and hugely overrated,  he barely ever proved himself in a big league outside Currupt Italy.
    And he would hopefully keep out Rashford who could this season I believe finish top goalscorer given a lengthy run in a top side,  which he won't get,  thanks to Zlatan.
    In short  I'm calm.

12. ibromurph

ibromurph Very Active Member

I think with no European football, if we get off to a good start (with the front loading of strong fixtures) and the easier run-in (a dream run in, from April, for any title contender), with the players we have, we should be looking at 2nd or 1st.

If we get off to a poor start, we'll finish 4th.

I want to think optimistically ("this is our year" boom-bust cycle in full effect):

Liverpool
    United
    Spurs
    City
    Arsenal
    Chelsea

13. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Very Active Member

Moreno.

tony and ibromurph like this.
  14. The Nomad

The Nomad Well-Known Member

It's a really hard one to call this year. So far Arsenal have disappointed in the transfer market, Wenger appears to have his head stuck up his own arse (ref Lacazette). If they do manage to bag a 20+ a goal striker, they could be top 4 for another season, without it they will struggle for top 6. Leicester will drop to mid table around 9-11

My predictions:
    1. Chelsea (No europe will suit them)
    2. City
    3. Us
    4. Utd
    5. Arsenal (they always finish above spurs)
    6. Spurs
    However there could be less than 10 points between us all.

15. jexykrodic

jexykrodic Well-Known Member

Given how things went last season I would say that you have about the same chance of picking the top six as you have of winning a prize in the lottery.

ibromurph likes this.
  16. Raz

Raz Active Member

Leicester won't be anywhere near the top 6/7 this season, they will be doing very well to avoid the drop.

EchoZulu likes this.
  17. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Sorry but that's ridiculous. They have bought in a couple of good players for the first team, have brought in squad players to deepen the squad for Europe and have so far only lost Kante (important though he was) but replaced him with Mendy. They will comfortably finish top half.

Kay Age El likes this.
  18. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

1st Liverpool
    18th Everton
    19th Chelsea
    20th Man United

Dahuge likes this.
  19. Glen C

Glen C Very Active Member

1. manure
    2. city
    3. arsenal
    4. spurs
    5. liverpool
    6. chelsea
    Mourinho knows how to win the league and has a impressive ability at getting short term results.  He won't give a fuck about the europa and will play a 2nd string allowing him to focus on the league.  Pep's first season will be tough and with the champions league i can't see him winning the league.  We'll miss out IMO as i feel that not improving at LB and not getting a DM or playmaker will cost us.  Conte's first season i think he will struggle, plus i can't see 3-5-2 working in the premiership over the course of the season.

20. RedNinja

RedNinja Not a Bot.... Administrator

1. City - They should of won it last season... but the announcement of the new Manager mid way through the season, set them on a slippery slope.. Pep Guardiola delivered the Title in his first season.. but then losing the Champions League Final to Barcelona
    2. Arsenal - The Signing Alexandre Lacazette propelled them right up there
    3. UTD -  They just didn't have enough to win the title..  Pogba raised question marks over his £100million transfer and after an explosive start Ibrahimovic failed to deliver as expected..  They need far more quality to push on..  to many old players in the squad..
    4. Liverpool -  Out of the blocks the strongest, however, Klopp eventually made 4th place his despite a dip in form after Christmas which seen them slide from 1st to 6th place.... It proved to be a battle with Chelsea for the rest of the season for 4th, but Liverpool's Strength and Depth eventually pulled them through..
    5. Chelsea - Narrowly miss out on 4th place to the hands of Liverpool..  Lack of strikers after an injury to Lukaku, the sale of Costa to A Madrid and a shaky defence proved to be their problem for most of the season..
    6. Spurs - The £70 million sale of Kane to City in January after their Early exit from the Champions League was their undoing, they never really recovered from losing their main man..
    7. Soton - Forever consitant Southampton.. it seems every manager they install works magic within this club...
    8. Everton -  Stronger from Everton this season.. Even after the sale of their two main players Stones & Lukaku, Everton managed a Top 8 finish, Koeman again shows his brilliance as a Manager with some very astute signings....
    9. Leicester - Oh Deary me..  Good finish for a club like Leicester, but way off the pace from Last Season...  a Semi final appearance in the Champions League though a massive consolation to the Leicester contingent.. They almost Dared to dream after beating Barcelona 1-0 at the King Power Stadium, however a Luis Suarez's Hat-Trick at the Nou Camp put paid to that after being eventually Beaten 5-1 on aggregate..  Maybe that was a semi final too far in terms of their Final League Position..
    10. West Ham - It seems they failed to adapt to the new Stadium..  Though some argue losing Payet to PSG on Deadline day was the killer blow..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.