• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top flight* player comes out as gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone remind me again why this is such a big deal? Why athletes in general make such a big deal of coming out as gay?

Can someone remind me again why this is such a big deal? Why athletes in general make such a big deal of coming out as gay?
They're gay, they obviously want attention and look fabulous while getting it.

Last edited:

Because it makes it safe for others who are gay to come out. It reduces the stigma around being gay. It takes a lot of courage to be openly gay in sport, where heteronormative behavior and toxic masculinity are often the expectation.

Considering there has never been an openly gay player in the EPL, or any major league I can think of, while they were still playing its very obviously still a major issue within sport that none of them feel safe enough to come out. Whether that's because they feel that fans/teammates/sponsors will treat them differently I don't know, but let's not pretend it's not a thing.

He’s the only active professional footballer in world footballer who’s come out as gay. So ya kinda a big deal no?

1. I thought you said top flight? I know a bloke in the league of Ireland who's gay. Does this make him a world first?
2. Sounds like this lad has an agent bigging him up for a sponsor

It’s not a big deal unless you are someone who is ashamed of their sexuality.

Its no difference to gender age or race.

Why else? Because there is still a huge amount of homophobia in the world. Most football fans are great. Some are total dickheads who would be really fucking cruel about it. You either already know that though or else you are actually that thick.

Sure don't those gay lads love all that homophobic chanting from the opposition fans.
And those wind ups by homophobic opponents.
Not to mention how they love giving extra ammunition to all those anonymous keyboard wankers on social media to abuse them further.
Frankly I'm surprised that there are not loads more of them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom