• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top of the League..

Status
Not open for further replies.

6TimesaRed

Not a Bot....
Administrator
4 points clear ahead of arguably one of the best football sides to have ever graced the Premier League..

What on earth is their to be negative about.. ??

So much positives from this.. And so much more to come..

Imagine how Great we will become when Keita and Fabinho become regulars in the side... It will happen..

We are top essentially without playing them in most games.. We are only going to get better...

And then their is Gomez return.. as well as the return of the OX in March..

You lot need a regular dose of Prozac..

If you had said at the start of the season that we would be 4 points clear in january i'd have said i'll have what you're smoking. This is arguably our best chance at winning the league in 29 years. I know i'm in the minority when saying this but i really don't give a shit about the bayern game and just see it as a distraction. Would rather we play our B team against them and just focus on the league.

If you had said at the start of the season that we would be 4 points clear in january i'd have said i'll have what you're smoking. This is arguably our best chance at winning the league in 29 years. I know i'm in the minority when saying this but i really don't give a shit about the bayern game and just see it as a distraction. Would rather we play our B team against them and just focus on the league.
Momentum..

What it's all about... We should go in to the Bayern game like we treat every European game..

Momentum builds confidence which builds Momentum. These areas will be key to winning the Title against a Team like Man City..

Is right.

But there is no problem with venting a bit after losing if it isnt any knee jerk stuff.
Most, nearly all, on here are happy as fuck with how things stand. I know I am.

Before the season started you couldnt even imagine about being 4 points clear in January.
Just enjoy the ride and see where we end up.

Momentum..

What it's all about... We should go in to the Bayern game like we treat every European game..

Momentum builds confidence which builds Momentum. These areas will be key to winning the Title against a Team like Man City..
Nah i disagree. Spurs always improve in the league after they get knocked out of the CL because its then just one game a week so they can play the same first 11 and they are always fresh. Less chance of injuries the less games we play.

This is the beauty of the league. It's not a one off or a knock out, we're still in the only position that really matters and it's still in our hands.

We are good. We have a strong position in the League, are qualified for last 16 in CL. But more important is that we have a solid platform for even further progress. We have a real good manager and a strong spine in the team, which should become even better in the second half of the season. We have a few shortcommings, that is true, but it is a real wonderful Journey to be part of.

A few glimpses on Our rivals tells me a lot:
City - Selfproclaimed best team in the world who is struggeling to keep pace With us. Will have a easier ride in the first round of CL, but have other distractions as well. Strong Squad, unlimited funds and a good manager. Will be fiercest domestic rival for years to come.
Spurs - Strong Squad and a real good manager guiding them well. Lack of funds make them less of a force going forward, but this year they will be in the mix all the way in. Depending on individuals more than us and City, although they have coped well without them before.
Chelsea - After a very Bright start under Sarri they have faded away a bit. Was surprisingly strong With a Hazard in superform earlier in the season. However, since I put him captain of my FF team he has stopped producing, and they have a real gap in attack repalcing his goals. Jorginho also seem to have lost his dancing feets after a promising start. Sarri is good and an interesting manager, but there must be huge qmarks over the ownership forward. Very important for them to qualify for CL, which is about their Level now.
Arsenal - Coninuing being a top 6 team who shows up real time on occasions and shuts the lights on other occasions. Emery is decent enough, but I am not sure he has the right mix of players to work With, and will be real dependant on PEA continuing delivering the goods as it seem Lacasette is struggling a bit. Øzil and his monstercontract can be desruptive for the progress as he doesn't put in near enough to deserve that much more than rest of the players.
Man U - A cirkus. Lack of Club structure and organisation will continue to keep them substandard related to their real potential. OGS has had an easy ride so far and that is all good. That will make the life even harder for the New manager come Aug/Sept if he doesnt release the same potential imidiately. Then the fans will sing OGS and Fergies name and not give the New guy any Peace to work. Manager appointment is extremely important for them, and the New guy will have to sort out a dressing room filled With egoistic arses who put themselves way ahead of the club. Lack of leaders on and off pitch will make them continue struggle for a year or two more.

Nah i disagree. Spurs always improve in the league after they get knocked out of the CL because its then just one game a week so they can play the same first 11 and they are always fresh. Less chance of injuries the less games we play.
We have the squad depth to cope..

I really don't see it as an issue... No way I'd want to 'throw' a Champions League game, by fielding a weaker side in favour of anything..

Maybe play the reserves in the FA cup.. But that about as far as I'd go..

The last 16 is spread over 4 week period too .. We will be fine... We have coped extremely well so far with the demands that have been thrown at us this season...

Momentum..

Yeah I think injuries and fatigue take precedence over momentum any day.

50b16fa2d0ca0c74a17f6f8f192f2ede.jpg

Let’s be honest now, we were 3 pts ahead with 3 games to go in 13/14. That was our best chance in the last 29.

If we bomb out against Bayern while continuing to win the league games we have a real chance but I still think City will grind us down.

There’s a reason they got 100 pts last year and nobody else has ever.

We have been amazing but we have rode our luck at times with both performances and injuries.

I can’t see that lasting through the business end of the season.

Let’s be honest now, we were 3 pts ahead with 3 games to go in 13/14. That was our best chance in the last 29.

If we bomb out against Bayern while continuing to win the league games we have a real chance but I still think City will grind us down.

There’s a reason they got 100 pts last year and nobody else has ever.

We have been amazing but we have rode our luck at times with both performances and injuries.

I can’t see that lasting through the business end of the season.

For City to get 100 point this season they will need to win every game bewteen now and the end of the season. That simply isnt going to happen, I dont even tbink they will unbeaten let alone win every match. Their focus will switch to the CL once it gets to the quarter finals as thats the trophy they want most of all.

I think 94 points will win it this year which means we need another 40 out of a possible 51 points.

13 wins - 39 points
2 draws - 2 points
2 defeats - 0 points

Would get us over the line I think as I cant see City taking 45 points in the remaining games.

For City to get 100 point this season they will need to win every game bewteen now and the end of the season. That simply isnt going to happen, I dont even tbink they will unbeaten let alone win every match. Their focus will switch to the CL once it gets to the quarter finals as thats the trophy they want most of all.

I think 94 points will win it this year which means we need another 40 out of a possible 51 points.

13 wins - 39 points
2 draws - 2 points
2 defeats - 0 points

Would get us over the line I think as I cant see City taking 45 points in the remaining games.

I doubt they will win every game but it’s not impossible for a squad of their quality.

I certainly don’t see them dropping many points unless they suffer more serious injury woes and don’t strengthen in Jan.

It would fantastic to win it with 94 but I think 97 is more likely.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that city is suddenly going to play at the level that they played against us, when the evidence of this season suggests strongly quite the opposite. they had to raise their game several levels to barely squeak by, relying on a whole lot of luck.

This is the same team that just lost a couple of games to some decent but not great clubs. I don't believe for one second that they have now suddenly and mystically found their swagger and are going to steamroll the rest of the league.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that city is suddenly going to play at the level that they played against us, when the evidence of this season suggests strongly quite the opposite. they had to raise their game several levels to barely squeak by, relying on a whole lot of luck.

This is the same team that just lost a couple of games to some decent but not great clubs. I don't believe for one second that they have now suddenly and mystically found their swagger and are going to steamroll the rest of the league.

They have their best player back and the player that makes their team tick.

If those two stay fit they can easily do it and they don’t need to play at that level to beat everyone else.

I doubt they will win every game but it’s not impossible for a squad of their quality.

I certainly don’t see them dropping many points unless they suffer more serious injury woes and don’t strengthen in Jan.

It would fantastic to win it with 94 but I think 97 is more likely.

97 points would require City to take 47 from 51, thats an insane level to sustain over a prolonged period especially when you factor in that by the tail end of the season some of their key players will have played over 55 games in a post world cup season.

Bear in mind last years 100 point total was an anomaly, no other team had gone above 95 previously. And perhaps more importantly of the 4 other occasions a teams got more than 90 points in a season the title chase was over early. Theres never been a season where 2 teams got 90 or more points.

97 points would require City to take 47 from 51, thats an insane level to sustain over a prolonged period especially when you factor in that by the tail end of the season some of their key players will have played over 55 games in a post world cup season.

Bear in mind last years 100 point total was an anomaly, no other team had gone above 95 previously. And perhaps more importantly of the 4 other occasions a teams got more than 90 points in a season the title chase was over early. Theres never been a season where 2 teams got 90 or more points.

All the more reason to wonder why people think we will get anywhere near that.

Anything over 88 would be a superb season regardless. We don’t have the depth City do. Unless we bomb out of the CL and FA Cup we’ll falter

Honestly I can't be arsed anymore to think about the title after that stupid defeat.

Its back to 'taking it one match at a time' for me now. Less stressful.

All the more reason to wonder why people think we will get anywhere near that.

Anything over 88 would be a superb season regardless. We don’t have the depth City do. Unless we bomb out of the CL and FA Cup we’ll falter
You keep banging on about depth but it didn't help City when de Bruyne and Fernandiho were out ... and Fernandiho is 34 soon, can he complete the season, inc. CL at that level ? City's prior form suggests maybe not. It's possible he only hit that level against us because of the rest he had whilst injured. You are also suggesting KdB will be at his best, whilst previously it's taken him a while to recover from injury and that aside he's still not going to perform at his peak every week, no player does.

If we can keep going mostly as per the first half of the season, and there's no reason why not considering Gomez and Matip will be back and maybe even Ox for added depth from March, our only major concern will be an injury to our forward line but we now have a quality player in Shaq. as cover and who knows, we may even buy additional cover this January (considering what is on the line - I would). When is Brewster back anyone ?

Our toughest remaing matches : Brighton (A - tough because they are good at home and we also need to show we can bounce back), United (A), Everton (A), Spurs (H), Southampton (A - they seem rejuventated so assuming it stays that way), Chelsea (H).

City's toughest remaining matches : Arsenal (H), Chelsea (H), Everton (A), United (A), Spurs (H), Brighton (A) on the last day of the season.

Note that for Liverpool and City 5 of those matches are identical in both the teams we play and the location.

Using Redstar's template but making it 96 pts instead of 94 pts. That means we need another 42 out of a possible 51 points :

13 wins - 39 points
3 draws - 3 points
1 defeat - 0 points
Basically continue to beat every team outside of the Top 6 and we're home even with 3 draws and a defeat in the four Top 6 games remaining.

City would therefore need 46 points (assuming they have a better GD) and that means going 15-1-1, 16-1-0, 16-0-1 or 15-2-0 ....... nothing else works. That's going to very very difficult even for them since they are not on last season's form and are still in 4 cups with a priorty on the CL.

It's going to be tight and will likely go down to the wire but we must still be favourites being allowed 4 times to not win whilst still reaching our target whilst they can only fail to win twice in the next 17 games.

Obviously anything lower than 96 pts gives us even more leeway.

Last edited:
You keep banging on about depth but it didn't help City when de Bruyne and Fernandiho were out ... and Fernandiho is 34 soon, can he complete the season, inc. CL at that level ? City's prior form suggests maybe not. It's possible he only hit that level against us because of the rest he had whilst injured. You are also suggesting KdB will be at his best, whilst previously it's taken him a while to recover from injury and that aside he's still not going to perform at his peak every week, no player does.

If we can keep going mostly as per the first half of the season, and there's no reason why not considering Gomez and Matip will be back and maybe even Ox for added depth from March. Our only concern is our forward line but we now have a quality player in Shaq. for some cover and who knows what may happen this January. When is Brewster back anyone ?

Our toughest remaing matches : Brighton (A - tough because they are good at home and we need to show we can bounce back), United (A), Everton (A), Spurs (H), Southampton (A - they seem rejuventated so assuming it stays that way), Chelsea (H).

City's toughest remaining matches : Arsenal (H), Chelsea (H), Everton (A), United (A), Spurs (H), Brighton (A) on the last day of the season.

Note that for Liverpool and City 5 of those matches are identical in both the teams we play and the location.

Using Redstar's template but making it 96 pts instead of 94 pts. That means we need another 42 out of a possible 51 points :

13 wins - 39 points
3 draws - 3 points
1 defeat - 0 points

City would therefore need 46 points (assuming they have a better GD) and that means going 15-1-1, 16-0-1 or 15-2-0 ....... nothing else works. That's going to very very difficult even for them since they are not on last season's form and are still in 4 cups with a priorty on the CL. It's going to be tight and will likely go down to the wire but we must still be favourites being allowed 4 times to not win whilst still reaching our target whilst they can only fail to win twice in the next 17 games.

Obviously anything lower than 96 pts gives us even more leeway.

It’s stupid talking about tough fixtures as the relegation battles will mean games you see as easy will become hard and vice versa.

For example Brighton away for City will be a walk in the park as they’ll be safe and on holidays already.

It’s stupid talking about tough fixtures as the relegation battles will mean games you see as easy will become hard and vice versa.

For example Brighton away for City will be a walk in the park as they’ll be safe and on holidays already.
Nah. I never go along with that theory. Teams are in the relegation battle for a reason, and it's not that they can just raise their game against the top sides, in fact we've recently seen a trend of relegation threatened teams resting players against the top teams so that they are fresh for games against teams around them. It makes perfect sense for clubs without strength in depth and come the tail end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

I doubt Brighton will roll over, especially with the cameras on them big time if the title is yet to be won.

Last edited:
Nah. I never go along with that theory. Teams are in the relegation battle for a reason, and it's not that they can just raise their game against the top sides, in fact we've recently seen a trend of relegation threatened teams resting players against the top teams so that they are fresh for games against teams around them. It makes perfect sense for clubs without strength in depth and come the tail end of the season I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

I doubt Brighton will roll over, especially with the cameras on them big time if the title is yet to be won.

The teams you want with 5-8 games left are the ones safe but not in the top 6.

History has shown relegation threatened teams cause upsets time and time again.

Brighton won’t give a toss and if it comes to us needed them to get a result then we ain’t winning the title.

It’ll be decided before then anyway.

The teams you want with 5-8 games left are the ones safe but not in the top 6.

History has shown relegation threatened teams cause upsets time and time again.

Brighton won’t give a toss and if it comes to us needed them to get a result then we ain’t winning the title.

It’ll be decided before then anyway.
Time and again, when a title is on the line, we've seen teams with nothing to play for giving it their all. If it comes down to it you can be sure that professional pride will see Brighton up for it. And I can definitely see it going to the final game .. unless City collapse before then ;)

Time and again, when a title is on the line, we've seen teams with nothing to play for giving it their all. If it comes down to it you can be sure that professional pride will see Brighton up for it. And I can definitely see it going to the final game .. unless City collapse before then ;)

I hope it does but if anyone is gonna fade away I fear it will be us especially if we beat Bayern

If we had been humiliated in a 3 or 4 goal battering that would have sent out a statement to us, and the league, that we were pretenders. As it was, they scraped by and were clinging on for a win. They were time-wasting the moment the second goal went in, and their ground staff were complicit in that. It was all a bit desperate. Yes, they got the job done, but they still didn't look like the urbane Guardiola superteam, built to conquer all, and against whom resistance is futile. They edged a game against an off-colour Liverpool, and easily might have come unstuck. They had a very clinical day in terms of finishing. Aguero's goal was their only shot on target in the first half, wasn't it? And Sane took his chance brilliantly. They were both difficult chances that were taken on the day. Karma sez in other games of low scoring opportunities those half chances may be missed.

I'm made up to be 4 points ahead at this stage of the year. I don't think it is overly optimistic to say that this might help push us on. I don't think we'd ever get complacent, but we now know we're in a proper dogfight, and I think we'll respond to that. Bring it fucking on.

If we had been humiliated in a 3 or 4 goal battering that would have sent out a statement to us, and the league, that we were pretenders. As it was, they scraped by and were clinging on for a win. They were time-wasting the moment the second goal went in, and their ground staff were complicit in that. It was all a bit desperate. Yes, they got the job done, but they still didn't look like the urbane Guardiola superteam, built to conquer all, and against whom resistance is futile. They edged a game against an off-colour Liverpool, and easily might have come unstuck. They had a very clinical day in terms of finishing. Aguero's goal was their only shot on target in the first half, wasn't it? And Sane took his chance brilliantly. They were both difficult chances that were taken on the day. Karma sez in other games of low scoring opportunities those half chances may be missed.

I'm made up to be 4 points ahead at this stage of the year. I don't think it is overly optimistic to say that this might help push us on. I don't think we'd ever get complacent, but we now know we're in a proper dogfight, and I think we'll respond to that. Bring it fucking on.

That’s true but ultimately in a game they had to win they did.

Hopefully it won’t matter in the end but I’m sceptical we can maintain our level over a whole season and CL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom