• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top of the League..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends, thats down to each and every fan I guess. Like this table below, regarding going on a cup run and challenging for the league at the same time.
This is interesting to the discussion taking place in the pre Brighton/post Wolves.
Maybe not to you, but a lot of us would find this interesting regarding that discussion.

DwUyvByWsAAPIpR.jpg:large

I remember when we were chasing Fergie's side under Rafa.

After we had beaten them 4-1 at OT, I think they drew/lost their following game away, I thought we had all the momentum.

.. and they were on the ropes..

"It's the hope that kills" has been mentioned.. well yeah, it does.. I remember the next game, watching them go 2-1 down to Villa at home; they look shell shocked and beaten; I was watching them, 80 mins gone, thinking "Yeeeessss, this is our year"..

Ronaldo 2-2. Macheda 3-2. "It's the hope that kills".

From then on, it was game after game of scrawny United wins.. 1-0 Sunderland.. 1-0 Wigan.. "it's the hope that kills"..

And just when I thought my prayers had been answered.. finally a half decent team.. Spurs turn up to OT.. they go 1-0... "yes".. then just before half time, another! "yes".. 2-0 up.. United are choking.. surely the best they can now get out of this is a draw!

Just keep it tight for the first 10 mins Spurs and you'll ride out their wave of optimism. 55mins gone.. "yes" checkpoint 1 achieved.. "nearly there, Spurs.. I will love you forever, if you hold on.. don't Spursy it up now!"

*15 minutes later*.. United 4 - 2 Spurs.. *switches off TV*.. "it's the hope that kills".

It was the most sickening title race I can remember, because I was watching every United game and every United win, with the feint hope that they would slip up. It never happened. I remember getting infuriated with how shite other teams were at beating them.. whenever they played first, if they didn't lose, it was just another week written off (where we had to win knowing it made no difference).. eventually they rode out our momentum/positivity as we were the ones who slipped up against Arshavin's Arsenal, in a mad game where we knew we had to throw the kitchen sink at winning (leaving the back door open for a counter attack). Heartbreak.

Lesson learnt: I would rather be leading, in control and blow it.. than to be the ones behind with "supposed" momentum and hoping for another team to do us a favour. Each victory for us will be a kick in their gut, especially if City are in all 4 competitions and have to juggle their priorities. I'm glad they have got "easy" draws in the League Cup, FA Cup and CL.. let them go far.. each game becomes more important, where they have to rotate. The league shouldn't be a respite for them like it was last year. Eventually, they will crack.

All hope left me when that no mark turned it around for them against Villa.

Sickening.

I meant the goals in scored were belters from outside the box, not that he scored a bucket load.

Which suggests he scored when he had time/space afforded to him outside of the box in potentially dangerous areas. Which players have much less of in the Premier League.

I remember when we were chasing Fergie's side under Rafa.

After we had beaten them 4-1 at OT, I think they drew/lost their following game away, I thought we had all the momentum.

.. and they were on the ropes..

"It's the hope that kills" has been mentioned.. well yeah, it does.. I remember the next game, watching them go 2-1 down to Villa at home; they look shell shocked and beaten; I was watching them, 80 mins gone, thinking "Yeeeessss, this is our year"..

Ronaldo 2-2. Macheda 3-2. "It's the hope that kills".

From then on, it was game after game of scrawny United wins.. 1-0 Sunderland.. 1-0 Wigan.. "it's the hope that kills"..

And just when I thought my prayers had been answered.. finally a half decent team.. Spurs turn up to OT.. they go 1-0... "yes".. then just before half time, another! "yes".. 2-0 up.. United are choking.. surely the best they can now get out of this is a draw!

Just keep it tight for the first 10 mins Spurs and you'll ride out their wave of optimism. 55mins gone.. "yes" checkpoint 1 achieved.. "nearly there, Spurs.. I will love you forever, if you hold on.. don't Spursy it up now!"

*15 minutes later*.. United 4 - 2 Spurs.. *switches off TV*.. "it's the hope that kills".

It was the most sickening title race I can remember, because I was watching every United game and every United win, with the feint hope that they would slip up. It never happened. I remember getting infuriated with how shite other teams were at beating them.. whenever they played first, if they didn't lose, it was just another week written off (where we had to win knowing it made no difference).. eventually they rode out our momentum/positivity as we were the ones who slipped up against Arshavin's Arsenal, in a mad game where we knew we had to throw the kitchen sink at winning (leaving the back door open for a counter attack). Heartbreak.

Lesson learnt: I would rather be leading, in control and blow it.. than to be the ones behind with "supposed" momentum and hoping for another team to do us a favour. Each victory for us will be a kick in their gut, especially if City are in all 4 competitions and have to juggle their priorities. I'm glad they have got "easy" draws in the League Cup, FA Cup and CL.. let them go far.. each game becomes more important, where they have to rotate. The league shouldn't be a respite for them like it was last year. Eventually, they will crack.

We lost that title long before then, when we couldn't beat shite like Fulham and Hull at home, or ten-man Arsenal away, when we were already ahead of the scum, but missed chance after chance to extend the lead while they were idle. I knew we'd not win that league as the Xmas / New Year period ended. It was devastating... Hyypia, Carra, Xabi, Masher, Gerrard, Torres - How did we not do it?!?!?!

We lost that title long before then, when we couldn't beat shite like Fulham and Hull at home, or ten-man Arsenal away, when we were already ahead of the scum, but missed chance after chance to extend the lead while they were idle. I knew we'd not win that league as the Xmas / New Year period ended. It was devastating... Hyypia, Carra, Xabi, Masher, Gerrard, Torres - How did we not do it?!?!?!

Good question, and as I recall there were not that many injuries, but as good as Torres, Carra, Xabi, and Masher were - the creativity aspect was missing. The team had world class players but was very functional in it's approach and susceptible to lapses in concentration. Your comments about not beating the likes of Hull and Fulham at home is what is different this season - we have beaten every piece of shit that we should be beating, nothing but the top sides have caused us an issue so far.

I would also argue that the failed challenge under Rodgers was more down to two things at the final hurdle - the Gerard slip, and Henderson missing games due to his red against City. But we were beating most teams we should have beaten, and yes we leaked goals but we surrendered a winning position after losing to Chelsea. It was strange though that season - if I remember correctly we were winning games by a goal while Suarez was out and Sturridge was amazing, and the defence seemed very stable but when we started banging them in - the defence started to really just let go once we thought "fuck it - we can score more goals than the opposition" !!!!

I'm excited for this weekend to return. I have a good feeling about this game, you can just tell that Klopp has the team in the right frame of mind and that our leaders on the pitch are all pushing their units to do the same.

I'm excited for this weekend to return. I have a good feeling about this game, you can just tell that Klopp has the team in the right frame of mind and that our leaders on the pitch are all pushing their units to do the same.

Yes... Though I'm taking nothing for granted, in this game or any other, I am not the slightest bit worried that our two recent defeats will have one iota of a negative influence on us, now that they're behind us.

Firstly, Klopp won't allow that to happen. Secondly, this team appears to have a mental fortitude that we've not seen in decades, and they'll be hungry to get back on track. And thirdly, those two games were utterly different and neither should affect our confidence... One was a cracking game against the best team in the world that we were a hair from drawing, and the other was a reserve team run out - Neither should hurt the mindset of the regular first team.

It's nice being twelve years old again, getting more and more excited as Saturday approaches... Not sure if we're gonna end up on top in May, but I'm f@#!ing loving the ride!

How our first team players handle the pressure and expectation of being top of the league at a pivotal point in the season is probably the key test of their mental strength.

We all know that they have the skill, fitness and tactical preparedness to win almost all games but do they have sufficient camararderie, confidence and resilience to overcome setbacks and scrap it out?

How our first team players handle the pressure and expectation of being top of the league at a pivotal point in the season is probably the key test of their mental strength.

We all know that they have the skill, fitness and tactical preparedness to win almost all games but do they have sufficient camararderie, confidence and resilience to overcome setbacks and scrap it out?
In previous seasons we didn't (though managers' errors didn't help) but with VvD, Milner, Robbo (Scotland's captain even though young), Hendo and others (Fabs & Becker look to be of that ilk too) and most importantly Klopp, it would seem this season we do. Here's hoping.

With no Son and Moura coming back from injury, they will do well to rely on Llamela, he is rancid.

And they’ve sold Dembele, although he hadnt featured much. Sissoko is also injured.

I think the commentator in the Spurs - Utd game said Winks is their only fit first team central midfielder.

I won't mind this quote if he goes on a run of scoring. I love him and his ability to harass the opposition but this sort of chat needs to be backed up with some immediate Goals or Assists.

Liverpool winger Sadio Mane is fuming over comments attributed to him regarding the Premier League title race.
The Senegal international woke up on Wednesday morning to read that he had apparently 'taunted rivals Manchester City'.
“This is not a team of chokers. We will be champions. I am sure we will be champions of England,” Mane was quoted as saying by a national newspaper which was subsequently picked up by a host of websites.
However, Mane is adamant that he said no such thing and that the quotes aren't genuine.

The S*n claimed he had made the comments in an interview at the recent African Footballer of the Year awards in his homeland but Mane refutes that.

Fuck all the jinx crap. Even if Mane didn't say that I think that's absolutely the right frame of mind to have.
Fucking Leicester won it! How many title winners did they have in their squad?

Also, fuck Spurs. They're not in the race any more. Don't give a flying fuck that Kane is out. Tell me that Agüero or Fernandinho is out and I'll celebrate with you.

Last edited:
Fuck all the jinx crap. Even if Mane didn't say that I think that's absolutely the right frame of mind to have.
Fucking Leicester won it! How many title winners did they have in their squad?

Also, fuck Spurs. They're not in the race any more. Don't give a flying fuck that Kane is out. Tell me that Agüero or Fernandinho is out and I'll celebrate with you.
Clearly the expression "couldn't give a fuck" does not apply to Modo ...

Didn't see quotes attributed to The S*n otherwise I wouldn't have shared. Can only assume at this point that he might have said something similar to someone who then snitched to a journo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom