• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tyler Morton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naturally, Jones is dead.

It's kinda weird with him, eh?

Like he has a bit of a shiner like he'd been fighting and now he's got this mysterious eye injury that's keeping him out for weeks...

Do we think he's on the naughty step for being a bad bad boy, or are we feeling like this eye thing is legit?

Like he has a bit of a shiner like he'd been fighting and now he's got this mysterious eye injury that's keeping him out for weeks...

Do we think he's on the naughty step for being a bad bad boy, or are we feeling like this eye thing is legit?
Maybe he’s had a visit from VADA or whoever and didn’t pass. Maybe.

He's probably been acting the cunt... Because he's a cunt

In at the deep end yesterday. He struggled, didn’t he?

Don’t think Millie or Keita did enough to help him though

He struggled but I think even Fabinho would have struggled yesterday with the way we approached the game. He definitely didn't get enough help from the other midfielders.

In at the deep end yesterday. He struggled, didn’t he?

Don’t think Millie or Keita did enough to help him though
A lot of people, here and in the media, have mentioned it, he was left isolated by Keita and Milner especially. Whenever they broke it was him trying to cover the pitch ... and he still did OK, I wouldn't rate him less than 6/10.

Tough to judge him. He definitely didn't look great but we were set up poorly and all three midfielders looked fairly lost when Spurs had the ball.

Carragher:
[article]"You look at the XG, the big chances they had it could’ve gone either way but the chances Liverpool gave up, Liverpool had a big problem in midfield. Maybe understandable, completely different midfield to what we saw in midweek and I felt at times Tyler Morton, I felt for him a little bit.

"I thought he looked a little bit exposed, left on his own, at times and Liverpool the way they played today was almost two centre-backs and Tyler Morton trying to control Kane and Son and then midfield runners and that’s where the chances came from.

"I thought the midfield was the big problem and they didn’t give help to that young lad, he was left on his own too often."[/article]

Good, and I hope people don't judge him as not being ready because he was isolated by his fellow midfielders. You put him in there with Henderson or Fabs and he excels and does his job well. Keita was a proper coward jumping out of that challenge that led to the goal. Shades of Harry Kewell in the CL final.

Yeah, it's tough to judge Morton against Spurs. He didn't know he was playing until the last minute, the midfield was bodged together, and Spurs, for all their faults, are lethal on the counter attack. Milner and Keita could have done more to support him, and also Klopp could have played less of a high line.

One thing that won't be overcome, though, is his general lack of pace on the recovery. Positionally he's excellent, so it doesn't matter too much, but it was exposed on Sunday.

Last edited:
Klopp said we had to adjust and set up the midfield in a unknown system to play Morton, Milner and Keita together against Spurs 5-3-2. No wonder Morton struggled. I thought he could have been a bit more aggressive when going for the ball at times, but the yellow card didnt help obviously.

Fair points above, for and against Morton's performance, but I reckon he emerged in credit. It would have been a baptism of fire for him even if we'd put a better balanced midfield out on the pitch around him, I wouldn't have been surprised or over-critical if he'd performed poorly and overall I don't think he did. Promising IMO.

Midfield was thrown together but Morton did OK. First half we piled into them after going a goal down but it left us exposed to the counter attack. Risk/reward and it the risk nearly bit us on the arse. Good experience for Morton.

Morton was fine yesterday. thrown in the deep end with a makeshift midfield. I'm not concerned.

Would he benefit from a loan move next season?

[article]The 19-year-old midfielder has made a big impression since moving up into the Reds' first-team squad this season

It’s fair to say that 2021 has been a good year for Tyler Morton.

The Liverpool youngster’s rise was as rapid as it was unexpected. From U23s football in the mud at Southport to Champions League nights in the San Siro, and all in the space of 12 months.

“Pretty impressive,” is how Jurgen Klopp describes the midfielder’s progress. Morton only turned 19 at the end of October, but he already looks at home around the Reds’ first-team squad.

Having made a good impression during the pre-season training camp in Austria, the teenager took his chance in Carabao Cup outings at Norwich and Preston, and has since made four further appearances, including Champions League starts against Porto and AC Milan, as well as Sunday’s full Premier League debut at Tottenham.

Sure, that selection was out of necessity as much as desire.

Liverpool’s midfield options have been decimated by positive Covid-19 tests to Fabinho, Thiago Alcantara and Curtis Jones, while Harvey Elliott is injured and Jordan Henderson has been suffering from a hefty cold.

But Morton was still selected ahead of far more experienced colleagues in north London. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Takumi Minamino, both viable options, remained unused, while Klopp could easily have switched formation to include Roberto Firmino in a four-pronged attack.

He didn’t, though. Instead he trusted the youngster, and while it was something of a baptism of fire, the lessons learned against Harry Kane & Co. will only benefit Morton going forward.

Having played an hour at Spurs, he is likely to feature again in Wednesday’s Carabao Cup quarter-final against Leicester at Anfield, with Liverpool expected to give opportunities to a number of other promising prospects.

Expect to see the likes of Conor Bradley, Owen Beck and exciting winger Kaide Gordon involved, while others such as Billy Koumetio, Jarell Quansah, Harvey Blair and Max Woltman will hope to be included.

Woltman, incidentally, is Morton’s best friend, and it was wonderful to see the pair sharing a pitchside picture after Liverpool’s win in Milan earlier this month.

Woltman had made his professional debut as a late substitute in that game, while Morton played the full 90, battling away against the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Franck Kessie and Sandro Tonali, and looking more than at home doing so.

It was all a far cry from the days when he and Woltman were spotted playing for renowned Wirral junior team Greenleas as a pair of six-year-olds.

They joined Liverpool together and have been inseparable since. Ask academy coaches and they’ll tell you they are two of the hardest-working players you could wish to find.

Klopp has certainly taken to Morton. “The football brain is outstanding,” he said after October’s win at Preston, though with a smile he followed up that it was time to "send him to the gym".

“If he gets a body, he’s a brilliant footballer,” the Reds boss added.

Morton started 2021 playing, and scoring, for Liverpool’s U23 side in a Premier League 2 game at Everton. A few days later he signed a new five-year contract, and gave GOAL an insight into his game.

"I'm more of a box-to-box midfielder,” he said. “I love a tackle. People are always shocked when they see me tackle, but I’ve seen loads of them!

"I'm not just a playmaker. I like to think I can do a bit of everything.”

He and his family have always been Liverpudlians, with season-tickets in the Anfield Road end.

Morton would worship the likes of Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Philippe Coutinho from his front-row seat, but now, improbably, finds himself training and playing alongside another of his idols.

“It’s Thiago now,” he said back in January. “It’s hard to take your eyes off him when he’s playing.

“Sometimes, you find yourself trying to copy the things he does – rolling the ball under your studs, no-look passes, that kind of thing! What a player!”

Fast forward to November, of course, and Morton and Thiago were sharing a midfield in the Champions League against Porto, and sources have told GOAL that the Spanish star has been more than impressed by his younger team-mate’s talent since he began working with the senior group. He, like many others, sees long-term potential there.

Speak to those who worked with Morton coming through the academy and they’ll all say the same thing; it’s his sharpness that stands out, and very little fazes him.

“A model professional,” says U23s coach Barry Lewtas, who has repeatedly spoken of Morton’s “maturity” and ability to “impose his personality” on games.

The biggest challenges are still to come, of course. “We don’t celebrate debuts at Liverpool,” says Alex Inglethorpe, the Reds’ academy manager, and he and his staff will continue to push and challenge and cajole, so that Morton and the rest of this gifted crop of teenagers can achieve their full potential.

So far, so good, though, it has to be said.

“Tyler is in a good place at the moment,” says Klopp. “I’m pretty sure he would give the same answer too!

“Now, let’s work from here.”[/article]

I'm not too sure about Morton any more.

TBF he's still very very raw. Hes more of a thiago than a fab, but he keeps getting played in that position due to necessity. Put him next to fab and he'll be grand

He will be a good player, but people were getting very premature with him. He had a couple of decent games in the mickey mouse cup & European dead rubbers, and all of a sudden there were calls for him to start prem games. I was really surprised Klopp played him against Spiurs, even with the players missing - he has a lot of learning & growing to do before he is anywhere near ready

In all honesty I think he looked pretty ordinary.
At the moment I think he lacks the physicality to play at top level.
I look at someone like Billy Gilmour who is the same age as Morton and they're miles apart in terms of talent.
He looked really good in that Milan game, but he wasn't really tested against them. They gave him a lot of time and space on the ball. Spurs and Leicester didn't and it showed. He doesn't win enough balls in midfield atm. His passing and distribution is fine, but he really needs to improve defensively imo.
I think a loan move would be perfect for him. Do like Chelsea did with Gallagher and Gilmour. Let him shine for another club and then bring him back.

Last edited:
TBF he's still very very raw. Hes more of a thiago than a fab, but he keeps getting played in that position due to necessity. Put him next to fab and he'll be grand
But you kinda have to earn the right to play next to Fabs. It's not like Fabs is going to do everything for him. He needs to be more commanding, more influential. It doesn't surprise me that Klopp has taken him off mid game twice in a row.

Last edited:
But you kinda have to earn the right to play next to Fabs. It's not like Fabs is going to everything for him. He needs to be more commanding, more influential. It doesn't surprise me that Klipp has taken him off mid game twice in a row.
TBF Thiago has looked shite when not next to fab. You need to show what you can do in your best position before being judged surely?

In all honesty I think he looked pretty ordinary.
At the moment I think he lacks the physicality to play at top level.
I look at someone like Billy Gilmour who is the same age as Morton and they're miles apart in terms of talent.
He looked really good in that Milan game, but he wasn't really tested against them. They gave him a lot of time and space on the ball. Spurs and Leicester didn't and it showed. He doesn't win enough balls in midfield atm. His passing and distribution is fine, bit he really needs to improve defensively imo.
I think a loan move would be perfect for him. Do like Chelsea did with Gallagher and Gilmour. Let him shine for another club and then bring him back.
You can’t compare age for age. Compare Rooney to Salah at 18-20. Players peak at different times.

TBF Thiago has looked shite when not next to fab. You need to show what you can do in your best position before being judged surely?
I think Thiago looked shite because of injuries and getting used to the tempo of the Prem. Also, he's not a DM. He's a classic CM.
I don't know if the Thiago comparison does Morton any justice, because let's be honest here, Thiago is world class. Morton isn't anywhere close to Thiago obviously. I think he should just be in there grafting and getting stuck in.
Yes, he gets some leeway because playing in midfield is a lot harder than playing on the wing for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom