• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

UFC

Greatest knockout I've seen in almost 10 years of watching MMA, from UFC 142 tonight:

2.gif

That wheel kick was ridiculous. Aldo's knockout of Mended was savage too. Didn't see the card, just highlights. Palahres another vicious leglock... And Anthony Johnson is a joke coming in 11 pounds overweight. Good on Before for being a professional, accepting through fight and finishing it. Johnson has since been cut.

Munoz is injured so Bisping is stepping in to fight Sonnen. I have Sonnen winning this to set up the rematch, which I think Anderson will take easily. Maia is now fighting some no namer since Bisping moved up. Apparently Palhares was offered the Maia fight but declined, perhaps because it was too soon.

ESPN and Zuffa are in a battle now, with ESPN really pushing on the issue of fighter pay being inadequate. Not sure where I stand on that one really. There are a lot of unreported, discretionary payments and.bonuses, as well as health and medical insurance. Yet the UFC retains the ability to cut any fighter at any time for any reason. There is certainly less stability than in most team sports, where guaranteed contracts are the norm (NFL being an exception) Not sure if a fighters' union will ever happen though. Would be interesting if Zuffa opened their books but since they're privately held there is no requirement for them to do so.

DSE, you may be interested in this: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1940773&forum=1&page=1&pc=44"]How the UFC paid me - Sean McCorkle[/URL]

An insider's look into how his pay was divided up and the sources for it. Seems to me that according to McCorkle, by the time it's all said and done, their pay is roughly double or a little more than double what is reported.

As for Sonnen-Silva II, I certainly don't think it will be easy. Nothing I've seen from Anderson would suggest that he has suddenly become better at dealing with wrestlers. If he approaches Sonnen with the same open stance, trying to deter takedowns like he did last time, Sonnen can certainly land a knockout blow. And takedown defense will be a huge part of his strategy. That's precisely how he got tagged the first time around that led to him getting laid and prayed for nearly 5 rounds. I'm very excited to see how these two approach the strategy for the fight, and how it all unwinds. I think it will either be a Silva knockout somewhere in the first two rounds, or a 5 round Sonnen decision.

Yeah I caught that article about McCouple already and found it interesting. George Room has also stepped up in defending the UFC's pay scale.

I'm kinda of the opinion that Anderson was really having an off night against Sonnen or something was wrong (he reportedly had a cracked rib). It is definitely a fight I want to see though and I hope Sonnen makes it interesting. I love Sonnen's schtick, great trolling.

Hahaha, agreed, I like Sonnen a lot, he's hilarious. And you're correct, Anderson was sporting a rib injury when he entered the cage against Sonnen. I'm of the opinion that even with the injury, his takedown defense is still not good enough to negate Sonnen's gameplan effectively. IMO, Sonnen has the best MMA wrestling skillset, on par with GSP. However, Anderson is still Anderson, and just cause he can't prevent a takedown, it doesn't mean he can't knock Sonnen the fuck out or sub him. He's definitely a solid favorite, but I am not counting out Sonnen as easily as most.

[size=24pt]Spoilers
[/size]

Diaz was robbed. I don't believe in the "smart game plan" angle they're writing about in the press. Diaz was the aggressor and Condit was moving backwards the entire fight. I'd go so far as to say that Condit was afraid of Diaz.
Diaz imo won round 1,2 and 5.
48-47 Diaz.

Bullshit result. However, Diaz is being childish when he announces that he's gonna quit because it was unfair. How about challenging Condit for a rematch. I bet Dana would love that and there's a lot of time between this fight and the real title fight against St:pierre.

I disagree. Condit won it 48-47 imo. Although it was not the fight of the year candidate I had hoped for, Condit stuck to his game plan and outlanded Diaz and Diaz was never really able to.implement his fight. It was much more of a chess match than I had anticipated and rounds 1 +2 were close but 3 + 4 were clearly Condit and I would probably give him 2 as well. I hope this doesn't mark the end of Condit as an exciting fighter but there is no doubt he did what he had to do to win. You can say he never really hurt Diaz and you'd be right but within the context of the rules and scoring system he was a clear winner. (I like Nick Diaz a lot but really despised his post fight interview. It's fine to be frustrated but he wasn't robbed the way I thought maybe Mike Pierce was.)

Speaking of the Pierce fight I thought Koscheck looked terrible. He was really tentative and didn't really do anything in the fight and was lucky not to have a point deducted. Rumour is he has had a bit of a falling out with hiatus camp at AKA and he certainly did not look comfortable in the ring. We all know he wants to load up on that right hand but he did nothing at all to set it up. Or set up his takedowns. He got two of them because he is a freak good wrestler but he wasn't able to hold Pierce down. I like Koscheck but felt Pierce won the first two rounds.

Werdum looked scary good in the first round against Nelson. I said to cobrastatus last night I thought that was maybe the most complete round I've ever seen from a heavyweight. Nelson may be the toughest out in MMA though. He has been shut out in three of his last four fights, suggesting he is not quite in that elite group of heavies but he is impossible to put away. And he's looking more trim and muscular each fight. Back to Werdum, he looks ready to contend for the belt. My only complaint is that he looked content in the third to take the decision instead of finish.

Barao is ready for a title shot. I want to see him against Cruz. Too bad the Cruz-Faber fight is so far away. Forenoon is a games but is hampered by his reach. He will never be able to defeat rangers fighters like Barao or Cruz.

Stokes looked great on the feet against Herman but his inexperience showed in getting caught. But he should learn from that and come back better. Herman is going to be a tough fight for anyone at 185.

I'm glad you posted your analysis of the Diaz-Condit fight, cause I figured that as soon as I clicked "show post" on Modo's post, something retarded about Diaz being robbed was going to follow, and I had to fight every urge not to deconstruct it because I've had the same conversation 4 times in the last 24 hours. Good job.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1477760#msg1477760 date=1328471613]
I disagree. Condit won it 48-47 imo. Although it was not the fight of the year candidate I had hoped for, Condit stuck to his game plan and outlanded Diaz and Diaz was never really able to.implement his fight. It was much more of a chess match than I had anticipated and rounds 1 +2 were close but 3 + 4 were clearly Condit and I would probably give him 2 as well. I hope this doesn't mark the end of Condit as an exciting fighter but there is no doubt he did what he had to do to win. You can say he never really hurt Diaz and you'd be right but within the context of the rules and scoring system he was a clear winner. (I like Nick Diaz a lot but really despised his post fight interview. It's fine to be frustrated but he wasn't robbed the way I thought maybe Mike Pierce was.)

Speaking of the Pierce fight I thought Koscheck looked terrible. He was really tentative and didn't really do anything in the fight and was lucky not to have a point deducted. Rumour is he has had a bit of a falling out with hiatus camp at AKA and he certainly did not look comfortable in the ring. We all know he wants to load up on that right hand but he did nothing at all to set it up. Or set up his takedowns. He got two of them because he is a freak good wrestler but he wasn't able to hold Pierce down. I like Koscheck but felt Pierce won the first two rounds.

Werdum looked scary good in the first round against Nelson. I said to cobrastatus last night I thought that was maybe the most complete round I've ever seen from a heavyweight. Nelson may be the toughest out in MMA though. He has been shut out in three of his last four fights, suggesting he is not quite in that elite group of heavies but he is impossible to put away. And he's looking more trim and muscular each fight. Back to Werdum, he looks ready to contend for the belt. My only complaint is that he looked content in the third to take the decision instead of finish.

Barao is ready for a title shot. I want to see him against Cruz. Too bad the Cruz-Faber fight is so far away. Forenoon is a games but is hampered by his reach. He will never be able to defeat rangers fighters like Barao or Cruz.

Stokes looked great on the feet against Herman but his inexperience showed in getting caught. But he should learn from that and come back better. Herman is going to be a tough fight for anyone at 185.
[/quote]

After watching the fight again, I do admit Condit did win. Ugly way to do it though. I've got nothing against avoiding getting hit but CC was literally jogging inside the octagon.
Doesn't matter though St: Pierre is gonna demolish him in the most boring fight of the year.

You should consult darkstar before all of your posts in future. It would save us all the merry-go-round.

I do agree that, based on that performance, Condit won't have much for GSP. But it will be interesting what kind of game plan he goes with, especially considering Greg Jackson has said he won't corner either fighter in that one. I assume he will still train Condit for the fight but he won't be at ringside.

I do agree that, based on that performance, Condit won't have much for GSP. But it will be interesting what kind of game plan he goes with, especially considering Greg Jackson has said he won't corner either fighter in that one. I assume he will still train Condit for the fight but he won't be at ringside.
Yeah he said the same before. We'll see.

The Rashad - Jones situation is different though, since Evans actually chose to leave the gym. Even still he only says he is "leaning towards" cornering Jones and has no animosity for Evans. I haven't been too impressed with Evans' Blackzillian camp so far. Not the greatest of starts so far.

[quote author=darkstarexodus link=topic=41902.msg1478894#msg1478894 date=1328639184]
The Rashad - Jones situation is different though, since Evans actually chose to leave the gym. Even still he only says he is "leaning towards" cornering Jones and has no animosity for Evans. I haven't been too impressed with Evans' Blackzillian camp so far. Not the greatest of starts so far.
[/quote]

Of course it's different, Evans had a hissy fit and quit the gym IMO.
I don't get the whole friendship thing especially between Rahaad and Jones, I mean how could they have known each other to make it impossible for them to fight?

I also think it's too early to judge his newly founded camp/gym.

Enough about that event, I'm looking forward to Bendo vs Edgar. It's gonna be one hell of a fight and I really hope Benson wins.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=41902.msg1478769#msg1478769 date=1328623733]
You should consult darkstar before all of your posts in future. It would save us all the merry-go-round.
[/quote]

hahahahaha

Was shocking. I don't rate Weidman at all, undefeated or not, and the gulf in class was really obvious.
Be a shame if Silva doesn't go for a rematch (which he's said he doesn't want to do).
I think he's a classless dickhead but he's one of the most entertaining fighters ever in terms of his skills and movement.
Hope he doesn't retire...

Was shocking. I don't rate Weidman at all, undefeated or not, and the gulf in class was really obvious.
Be a shame if Silva doesn't go for a rematch (which he's said he doesn't want to do).
I think he's a classless dickhead but he's one of the most entertaining fighters ever in terms of his skills and movement.
Hope he doesn't retire...

Captain cockhead has agreed to the rematch now, changed his mind. I will love it (keegan style) if he gets ko'd again. It's happening Dec 28th.

Captain cockhead has agreed to the rematch now, changed his mind. I will love it (keegan style) if he gets ko'd again. It's happening Dec 28th.
Cheers, good to know.
I think there's absolutely no chance he'll lose next time.
I see it going the same route as Sonnen vs Silva2.

I don't know, a roadmap to beat Silva has been put out there - don't fear him, pressure him, and if possible, take him down (most people that have tried have succeeded). Most people that go up against him usually fall for his arsehole clowning so he can counter, or are struck with fear. The two that have got in his face have dominated him.
I don't think Weidman will change his gameplan, and if he beats him again, silva is knackered. Which I'll love. He's blessed with the most amazing talent I've seen, but refuses to use it and doesn't take hardly any fight seriously.
If he loses for a 2nd time, there's nothing really for him at 185, if he goes up to 205 the big guys in that division will murder him, and GSP isn't to keen on doing a catch weight fight, and I don't blame him.

He's blessed with the most amazing talent I've seen, but refuses to use it and doesn't take hardly any fight seriously.
Nah, being unbeaten for 10 years in the UFC means he's shown exactly what he's capable of doing.
If putting some pressure on and tackling him is all it takes to beat him, he'd have been beaten plenty of times during that period by the many wrestlers he's faced.
Sonnen got the better of him in their first fight, yet when he decided to turn up in the following fight, he destroyed Sonnen.
I can't see anything different happening against Weidman in December.
But then we saw a nervous Weidman step into the octagon the other night. Wonder how an ultra confident Weidman would fight?
Can't wait!!

He's been undefeated for 7yrs in the ufc as he mainly fought cans that make him look good, he fought henderson about 5yrs ago, and hit belfort with a wonder-kick that he'll never repeat, and that's about it. On the other hand, look at who jones has fought already and beaten - shogun, rampage, machida, rashad, belfort. All that inside 2yrs when silva has fought nowhere near that level of opponents since he's been there...
He's very good, but the majority of his opposition are rubbish and roll over for him. When he's confronted and put under pressure, he doesn't look so good.
I'd like to see him lose again to weidman and move to 205 and get destroyed a couple of times then retire.

You see champions like gsp, jones, aldo, cain leave it all in the ring everytime they fight, not silva.

Back
Top Bottom