• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vaarwel Gini

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a strange one.

I'd rather he stayed, although we do have options. I think there are arguably question marks over the futures of Ox, Shaqiri, Keita and maybe even Milner.

Gini is becoming a bit of an experienced old head and that's exactly what we need to maintain, to keep that continuity and composure on the pitch in big games and alongside the likes of Jones.

I'm not fussed about Keita, we haven't seen nearly enough of him at his best and his injuries are as bad as Matip's. While I wouldn't be devastated if we lost Ox, only due to injuries, he's been decent for us. Shaqiri is a real talent and you know what you get with Milner, even though his best years are behind him, so I'd prefer we kept both of them. Shaqiri's attitude has been top-notch here and he's fought his way back into the side, which to me is always the sign of a winner.

Preferably we keep all of them, but with Jones and Thiago also in the mix, before we even think about Fabinho and Henderson, we're well placed should we have to lose someone.
Agreed, next season we're looking at Hendo, Thiago and Fabinho being our main trio. I bet Gini is trying to figure out where he'd fit in that team. Of course there will be rotation, but judging by Klopp's comments today, his plan is to continue playing Fabinho at DM with two other midfielders just ahead of him.
Personally, I think the Ox experiment has to end in the summer. He just hasn't performed to the level his price tag dictated and he's not a kid any more.
Shaq looks much more comfortable on the wing and Keita is never around, making Curtis and Milner our go to's.
I believe the focus this summer is getting a top class young striker. I wouldn't say no to another attacking midfielder to replace Ox, but I doubt that it'll happen.

Last edited:
I know very nothing about this guy other than this youtube clip. He is very Gini-esk in his play and would be cheap

Ox is a waste of time and money. He's not good enough to get into the side in midfield or out wide and he's always injured so can't be relied upon. He'd be one of the first names of my players to get shot of in the squad.

I've also lost my patience with Keita. He's never available for longer than a couple of weeks and bar a few games and some nice touches has largely been an irrelevance.

Ox is a waste of time and money. He's not good enough to get into the side in midfield or out wide and he's always injured so can't be relied upon. He'd be one of the first names of my players to get shot of in the squad.

I've also lost my patience with Keita. He's never available for longer than a couple of weeks and bar a few games and some nice touches has largely been an irrelevance.

I’m not going to sit here and say i haven’t seen Ox play well or that he doesn’t have talent or he’s not a good lad but we shouldn’t have signed him.

I haven’t seen a such an obviously flawed transfer since Balotelli.

Last edited:
153851445_10157629076742251_3134327672804839335_o.jpg

Won't be missing him.

Very passive player who takes forever to release the ball.

Sure he doesn't lose it often and plays virtually every game but I'd be far happier seeing someone who can come into our midfield and add another
dimension to our play (hopefully alongside Fab & Thiago)

I’ve still not quite worked out why Ox wasn’t tried out at right back when TAA slumped in form. He certainly can’t defend any worse than Trent, and had he made a decent job of being a backup you could argue that he’s worth his place on the bench and in the squad to cover over half the positions in the side (not as safe a pair of hands as Milly, but sort of same vibe)

I’ve still not quite worked out why Ox wasn’t tried out at right back when TAA slumped in form. He certainly can’t defend any worse than Trent, and had he made a decent job of being a backup you could argue that he’s worth his place on the bench and in the squad to cover over half the positions in the side (not as safe a pair of hands as Milly, but sort of same vibe)
Maybe they have. In training.

I have a vague memory of his having played the (very) occasional game there for the Arse and by general consent (his own included) not having done well. If I remember rightly the problem wasn't so much having to defend as having to play wide, which he's always wanted to get away from, even in midfield.

Yeah, I love Gini but he's not worth that at this point of his career, turning 31 this year.

Ditto. I'd also be surprised if either Barcelona or Inter were even able, let alone willing, to stump that much up, but that's Gini's (and his agent's) problem.

If he can get a massive pay day like that he should jump at it. Can't really blame him for asking either, he's a been a constant throughout the last 3 years but he's dreaming if he thinks he can get that money here.

I've thought Gini was a very important part of our success but, equally, he's been a non-entity during this period of malaise. I'm not looking to push him out the door but I wouldn't be keen to break the bank to keep him at this stage of his career either.

Also in the not willing to break the bank to keep him camp but one question niggles at that stance- how fucked would we have been this season without him?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom