• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this clickbaity article https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-fsg-pay-boston-17067161 and sadly I clicked.

Are some of those figures real for our players?

(https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-f.c/payroll/ another link from google).

If so, Mane needs to hit Lallana up for his agent's details.
I read somewhere that we have tons of bonuses. I think Mané makes a lot more than that.
Also, Lallana is worth every penny "cause he makes shit happen" remember that one?

Pretty sure Mane is on 150+ based on the new deal we gave him. Read also that he's up for a further hike, putting him at par with Salah.

I read somewhere that we have tons of bonuses. I think Mané makes a lot more than that.
Also, Lallana is worth every penny "cause he makes shit happen" remember that one?

Modo was going to stop being a repetitive bore who was always fishing for a bite about the same topics, year after year.

Remember that one?

Mark was going to stop being the first person to bite about the same topics, year after year. Remember that one?

What you mean year after year guys? This is week after week isn't it?

Our wage bill will be getting higher every year.

That's a down side to being successful & being able to keep a core of top quality players together. We've not been in this position in the modern era until now.

The other big negative is the increasing age of the players, seems obvious, but they're all getting a year older every year, & the average age continues to follow suit cos we aren't bringing in younger players.

Tbh this all needs further discussion & it's own thread, cos it's fascinating looking at how that new (to us) dynamic creates issues, like bringing younger players in to the side being so much harder in many ways & the issues noted above.

That's a down side to being successful & being able to keep a core of top quality players together. We've not been in this position in the modern era until now.

The other big negative is the increasing age of the players, seems obvious, but they're all getting a year older every year, & the average age continues to follow suit cos we aren't bringing in younger players.

Tbh this all needs further discussion & it's own thread, cos it's fascinating looking at how that new (to us) dynamic creates issues, like bringing younger players in to the side being so much harder in many ways & the issues noted above.

I dont think we have an old side, certainly not to the extent that City are now and Chelsea/ Utd were a couple of years ago. Id say by and large most of pur core first XI are in their peak years. But will have to start moving on some of the older players in the next season or two. Milner, Lallana and Lovren are really the only ones clearly past their best and none of them are first teamers.

In a year or two Henderson, Gini, Shaq and Firmino will likely be post prime. Midfield is clearly the biggest concern as the younger recruits (Keita, Grujic, Ox) dont seem capable of displacing the establiahed players based on what weve seen so far.

Allowing a squad to age out is very much a sign of short term management. When Utd were at their best Ferguson ruthlessly culled players who had lost a step to keep the team evolving and make sure nobody got complacent. In the last 5 years he stopped doing that persisted with his stallwarts and stuffed their squad with established expensive players that didnt have much long term value. The result is what you've seen over the last few seasons, he hollowed them out. Same is now happening at Madrid.

Its a lesson worth paying attention to, we should refresh from a position of strength over the next 2 years while slowly building up promising young players like Hoever, Kelleher, Eliot etc

Yes, age is a concern. At the minute this team is ripe, but pretty soon it will look overripe. We definitely need to be shipping out the likes of Lallana asap, but on that money, who is going to want him?

The squad has an average age of 26,7 years, and our starting eleven (most used) this season is the 14th oldest in the league.
It would have been the 10th oldest if Alisson had played and not Adrian.

So its not a young nor an old team, but a team in its prime and peak years, set up to achieve success in the coming years.
The important bit will be how we replaced Lallana and Lovren this summer, and possibly Milner next summer and probably Shaqiri.
Getting in young players with potential to be starters and evolve this team even further.
We have to get those transfers spot on.

I suspect you listened to the Anfield Wrap free podcast this week.

They made a good point on there - we have a superb team with the bulk of the top players in the 26-29 age range, then a gap in the 21-25 range with very few (Trent & Gomez), then a bunch of promising youngsters in the 16-20 range.

As Klopp said in the summer it is difficult to bring in established players in the mid age range to plug that gap as you have to sell to them that they wont get much game time. So either we continue for another 2-3 years with the current main players and then hope the younger group is ready to take over, or (more likely) we start to move some of the first team players on and buy top class 22-25 year olds to replace them, while bringing in a few of the kids.

Also we do have a few of the players in the mid age range on loan (Wilson, Grujic) who may come into the fold next season

I suspect you listened to the Anfield Wrap free podcast this week.

They made a good point on there - we have a superb team with the bulk of the top players in the 26-29 age range, then a gap in the 21-25 range with very few (Trent & Gomez), then a bunch of promising youngsters in the 16-20 range.

As Klopp said in the summer it is difficult to bring in established players in the mid age range to plug that gap as you have to sell to them that they wont get much game time. So either we continue for another 2-3 years with the current main players and then hope the younger group is ready to take over, or (more likely) we start to move some of the first team players on and buy top class 22-25 year olds to replace them, while bringing in a few of the kids.

Also we do have a few of the players in the mid age range on loan (Wilson, Grujic) who may come into the fold next season

Guilty as charged, it was an excellent point, & really got me thinking.

As much as I hate to give the cunt credit, Ferguson did at Utd what no one since us in the 80's had done, built a side & played them into their peak years, then replaced them with younger players in such a way as that they rarely dropped in overall performance for more than a season, & changed styles to do so when necessary.

It's almost certain Klopp is leaving in 2022, but by then we already need to have been replacing a lot of our key players, & that process must really start next summer to be done in any kind of coherent way that doesn't dramatically damage the side overall.

That swathe of 'missing' players between 22-25 is possibly an indication that next summer I think we'll buy at least two players in that age range, probably see two of our established players leave, & maybe begin to bed in one or two of the younger players as well, & then look to continue in that vein over the following year & next summer.

I think it's a clear strategy to do it this way, because had we bought quality players of that age now, they'd be massively frustrated at their pathway to the first team being blocked, whereas the younger players are less so, & when we bring in players of that age, we need to be able to play them regularly to develop them further, keep them happy, & avoid ruining the harmony that we seem to currently enjoy & benefit from.

I dont think we have an old side, certainly not to the extent that City are now and Chelsea/ Utd were a couple of years ago. Id say by and large most of pur core first XI are in their peak years. But will have to start moving on some of the older players in the next season or two. Milner, Lallana and Lovren are really the only ones clearly past their best and none of them are first teamers.

In a year or two Henderson, Gini, Shaq and Firmino will likely be post prime. Midfield is clearly the biggest concern as the younger recruits (Keita, Grujic, Ox) dont seem capable of displacing the establiahed players based on what weve seen so far.

Allowing a squad to age out is very much a sign of short term management. When Utd were at their best Ferguson ruthlessly culled players who had lost a step to keep the team evolving and make sure nobody got complacent. In the last 5 years he stopped doing that persisted with his stallwarts and stuffed their squad with established expensive players that didnt have much long term value. The result is what you've seen over the last few seasons, he hollowed them out. Same is now happening at Madrid.

Its a lesson worth paying attention to, we should refresh from a position of strength over the next 2 years while slowly building up promising young players like Hoever, Kelleher, Eliot etc

Good post, I've often said that Ferguson in his last few years just desperately wanted a last bit of success, at all costs, & ruined Utd's future as a result, he did very little (if any), building or preparing for their future, & left them an old squad on huge wages, making a job which was already a poisoned chalice, even worse. I actually said this repeatedly in their last season when it became clear he wasn't prepared to swap out any older players, (& made arguably the most corrupt transfer ever, for that young useless lad whose name escapes me on a massive fee from an agent & club that had previous for paying bungs) & had long discussions with my one close manc mate about it, & at the time he thought I was overreacting, he's since changed his tune!

Good post, I've often said that Ferguson in his last few years just desperately wanted a last bit of success, at all costs, & ruined Utd's future as a result, he did very little (if any), building or preparing for their future, & left them an old squad on huge wages, making a job which was already a poisoned chalice, even worse. I actually said this repeatedly in their last season when it became clear he wasn't prepared to swap out any older players, (& made arguably the most corrupt transfer ever, for that young useless lad whose name escapes me on a massive fee from an agent & club that had previous for paying bungs) & had long discussions with my one close manc mate about it, & at the time he thought I was overreacting, he's since changed his tune!
Bebe.

Very good points above.

It will beinteresting to see the recruitment going forward. We have done well in renewing the squad so far with quality but we need also to look ahead and ensure the right quality at the right age is coming through. Can Grujic and Ox cement their places? Will Keita shake of his bad experience so far and do what we expect? Do we have sufficient attacking talent on the radar to replace the golden three up front?

Great points Insig- we do seem to have a younger team waiting in the wings in midfield, all being well. When we bring in Mbappe for Salah as part of the Nike deal, that will lower the age in the attacking third, and young Harvey looks like he has a really bright future. He could be our new Sterling.

There's a lot of truth here, and certainly I wouldn't at all blame Baconface for wanting to go out on a high, but where I do draw the line is the idea that he actually sabotaged United on purpose and left Moyesie to sup from The Chosen One poisoned chalice, thinking "haha fuck it, this will show everyone how great I am when United fucking collapse without me!"

Because that taints his legacy, and he does care about that.

As for the expensive signings of players like RVP, with little sell-on value, again, so fucking what? I wouldn't give a shit if he was top scorer and won us another title.

There's a lot of truth here, and certainly I wouldn't at all blame Baconface for wanting to go out on a high, but where I do draw the line is the idea that he actually sabotaged United on purpose and left Moyesie to sup from The Chosen One poisoned chalice, thinking "haha fuck it, this will show everyone how great I am when United fucking collapse without me!"

Because that taints his legacy, and he does care about that.

As for the expensive signings of players like RVP, with little sell-on value, again, so fucking what? I wouldn't give a shit if he was top scorer and won us another title.
I don't think he intentionally sabotaged it by any means, but I do think he knew that approaching it with that 'one last title' attitude would have ramifications.

I also think that he was massively pissed off with the glaziers, but could see how much money they had & knew they could throw loads at the problem to fix it.

With hindsight that rebuilding obviously wasn't that easy, even with their huge resources, but there are a multitude of reasons for that, & the fact that so many of the team needed replacing is just one of those reasons.

Regardless, I think both they, & arsenal, are a good example of how top clubs can struggle massively when they don't gradually replace their older players at the best time for them & the club, which you have to play off against the fact that sides almost always seem to be at their best after around three seasons of having their core stay together.

It's a high wire balancing act, & not one we know whether we will be able to successfully traverse yet, & if we do fall, it'll likely be a long slow fall but the effects could be hard to recover from.

Oh come on it was an old squad on huge wages - but it was still 10x better than the hand that most managers are dealt.

A squad that won the previous season, plenty of money in the bank.. Bless the poor soul.

The finger of blame can be legitimately pointed everywhere; the players, Baconface, the subsequent managers, the owners, Woodward, Judge, the entire lack of a coherent transfer strategy or team ethos (the last of which is impossible when you employ so many different managers in such a short period of time)

But for all the rapacious nature of the Glaziers, and their obvious focus on revenue, they have made plenty of money available for transfers and wages, which is they have one of the highest wage bills and most expensive squads in the world.

But the upshot of all of those missteps is a a quite frankly astonishing roll call of fucking DISASTROUS signings since Slur Alex left:

Mata
Fellaini
Di Maria
Shaw
Schneiderlin
Depay
Rojo
Blind
Darmian
Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Fred
Matic
Mikytikytaryan
Sanchez
Dalot
Bailly

You can't make that many fuck ups and not suffer badly.

As for the age of our team, who gives a fuck? If we don't win it this year we never will, and if we do then football can stop forever for all I care

Yeah. We need to win the fucking league. Nothing else matters and I don't give a fuck how we do it, who is playing for us, how much they cost or how old they are.

We haven't won the title since 1990 for fuck's sake.

The finger of blame can be legitimately pointed everywhere; the players, Baconface, the subsequent managers, the owners, Woodward, Judge, the entire lack of a coherent transfer strategy or team ethos (the last of which is impossible when you employ so many different managers in such a short period of time)

Bit harsh on @Judge Jules, but I guess we owe him a debt of thanks for the role he played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom