• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where will City drop points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
A lot has been made of City only playing Spurs so far of the usual top 6 while we’ve played everyone else.

However when you look at City they have generally slipped up against ‘weaker’ or unfancied sides.

Last year it was Palace, Leicester and Newcastle, this season Norwich and Wolves.

They beat all the top sides.

Are hoping/looking for slip ups in the wrong place and if so who are best suited to shock City?

A lot has been made of City only playing Spurs so far of the usual top 6 while we’ve played everyone else.

However when you look at City they have generally slipped up against ‘weaker’ or unfancied sides.

Last year it was Palace, Leicester and Newcastle, this season Norwich and Wolves.

Are hoping/looking for slip ups in the wrong place and if so who are best suited to shock City?

They have two upcoming games home to Saints, so if Hazelnut still has a job after those I will be very very happy. I can't see that.

Then they go into a tougher patch with Atalanta away, us away and Chelsea home. Hopefully they come out of those two league games with a single point. Worst case is 4.

We fell into this trap last year thinking City would drop points playing the traditional strong teams like United, Chelsea etc, they never did. They are a weird team like that, when they're on their game they'll beat every other team at their best, besides from us, however when they aren't on their game, almost every team can take points off them, that doesn't happen very often though.

tldr; they'll drop points, but it'll be against random teams you wouldn't expect.

We fell into this trap last year thinking City would drop points playing the traditional strong teams like United, Chelsea etc, they never did. They are a weird team like that, when they're on their game they'll beat every other team at their best, besides from us, however when they aren't on their game, almost every team can take points off them, that doesn't happen very often though.

tldr; they'll drop points, but it'll be against random teams you wouldn't expect.

They have deep defending, hard to break down midtable teams coming up the first week in December in Burnley and Man United.

They now have injury issues so although they'll always score they could be more susceptible for at least the next month. And they have already dropped 8 points with a near full squad.

I doubt they will be perfect against the other Top 6 teams this year and they have already dropped points at home to Spurs despite dominating. Hopefully with Laporte and Rodri out for a while they'll slip up somewhere.

Easier said than done but if we don't lose to them this season then it's going to be really tough for them to claw back those 6 points. The fact we have got 5/6 games against Top 7 sides out of the way already (whilst they have played 2) is really almost as big a deal as the 6 point lead.

Last edited:
After city play us, they have Chelsea, arse, united, wolves. they could drop a couple of points here. For us its basically win every game

Teams that can defend well and counter attack quickly.

Again, it'll be the same type of team who will beat them.

Key thing is that we win the next two and get a 9 point lead going into a period where they play a lot of the big guns.

I’d definitely say if we win every game between now and the end of the season we stand a good chance of winning something.

Winning the next 25 should do it. We’d have beaten city twice in that time.

It was more how we as fans kept thinking about their performances and games.

But that is the life of a football fan. Of course we would follow Citys results last spring? I still remember how bad and hopeless life felt when Kompany scored that fluke. And how life started to spread to my fingers and toes just 22 hours later.

I think we need to take 4 points from our fixtures from them this season. Not saying that will win us the league, but it will be an important hurdle to get through.

Not really worthy of a new thread, but I was just thinking of the Carabao cup and how City are set to face the hapless Southampton, while we face Arsenal. I can't remember the last time they had a tough draw, especially in the domestic cups, and their Champions League group looks like something the Europa League would cough up.

Preston
Southampton
Watford
Brighton
Swansea
Chelsea (okay, one)
Newport
Burnley
Burton x2
Rotherham
Leicester
Fulham
Oxford

That's the list of teams they've played this season and last season in the domestic cups.

In the Champions League, they've played...

Zagreb
Atalanta
Shakhtar
Spurs
Schalke
Hoffenheim
Lyon
Shakhtar

And they think everything is a conspiracy against them? Nutters.

For comparison, our CL fixtures have been...

Genk
Salzburg
Napoli (not the toughest group)
Spurs
Barcelona
Porto
Bayern Munich
Napoli
PSG
Red Star

In the cups, we've faced...

MK Dons
Arsenal (Wednesday)
Wolves
Chelsea

Christ, we're poo in the domestic cups, but we put out a second string against strong Wolves and Chelsea sides and got beat.

Chelsea / Leicester hopefully. I feel very differently about playing them compared to last year, the realisation of what we need to do to win the league seems to have sunk in.

Their defence is in pieces. Surely they’re more likely to slip up against stronger teams now. a team as good as City can defend against weaker teams by just constantly attacking them and keeping the ball. Not so easy against top opposition with decent finishers.

But that is the life of a football fan. Of course we would follow Citys results last spring? I still remember how bad and hopeless life felt when Kompany scored that fluke. And how life started to spread to my fingers and toes just 22 hours later.

Wasn't this a day or two before the Barca game too? I remember (and keep getting reminded by my missus about) having a chat to basically say 'man i take this shit too seriously. I think I need to start dialling down my emotional ties to this club'.... then Origi & Gini came to town!

Wasn't this a day or two before the Barca game too? I remember (and keep getting reminded by my missus about) having a chat to basically say 'man i take this shit too seriously. I think I need to start dialling down my emotional ties to this club'.... then Origi & Gini came to town!

That was my reference to those 22 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom