1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Will the real Mo Salah please stand up?

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by LeTallecWiz, Aug 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Administrator Administrator

He's been a decent, mostly average, player since AFCON.
    We gave him the contract of a player who should be a dominating player every single game.
    Is this the reality of a team that can no longer cater to his talent due to various variables?
    Class is permanent, form temporary but we need Mo firing on all cylinders if we want to win the league.
    Where do we stand on this talent?

2. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

He’s fucking ace and will bang soon enough.

3. moron

moron i am legend Member

Well you could say he was in the right position tonight to provide assists that led to both goals.

binomial and mark1975 like this.
  4. LeTallecWiz

LeTallecWiz Administrator Administrator

He's not been ace for months mate - and I'm not as fussed about the goals if he was dominating the right flank and thus, opening up the pitch more for diaz & nunez.
    I just think something is up ... Hopefully you're right but I'm concerned.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    peekay and SaRed like this.
  5. momoWASboss

momoWASboss If you take me seriously then you’re an idiot Member

Loads on here complain about not investing in the squad. Then we give Salah’s prick of an agent MILLIONS in commission, pay his client MILLIONS in a signing on fee PLUS £300-350k/week for that fucking garbage.

Should’ve sold him for mega money and bought in talent.

6. localny

localny Well-Known Member

He's had a dismal 2022 performance wise for Mo - above average for others - 10 goals in about 28 games.

7. iseered

iseered Well-Known Member

What do people mean when they say 'class is permanent'? Will Salah be an amazing footballer until the day he dies?

tomasjj and momoWASboss like this.
  8. binomial

binomial I'mma sexy bastard. Member

Salah is human.

Fans too quick to question and come to conclusions. No player can be world class from day 1 of signing to day end of contract (whenever that may be).

The guy played a pivotal part in both the goals today but because he’s not scoring back to back hattricks like 1 other person I know let’s all jump on his back and put him down.

Stevesquash likes this.
  9. Farkmaster

Farkmaster Very Well-Known Member

I can't be arsed saying the same thing over and over again, but I said it was a mistake to sign him up again if we could have got a wodge for him. It's even dumber since we aren't willing to invest in the squad. All that said, he's been even worse than I had imagined. I thought a bit of a rest would see him get that little bit of pace back for a few games, but no. He will score more when we play better, and create loads of chances, and especially when Trent is on song, because that's what he's always been. He's not going to turn games when we are shit. He's mostly not a game changer. He's not some phenomenon. He's a shitter version of himself, and he's been on a team that was a giant fluffer for his ego. If he was better he could adapt and play centrally, but he isn't. We need every bit of his diminishing form, but don't fool yourself, it won't prove good value.

MaBigTip, Big Papi #34, SaRed and 2 others like this.
  10. RedStar

RedStar Very Well-Known Member

Salahs game is about running into space, isolating a defender 1v1 and taking them on. He's not a 6 yard box poacher.

If we keep giving teams a 1 goal headstart so they can sit deep and defend a lead with 11 men then we really aren't going to get much out of him.
    Hes also becoming isolated by Trent wandering infield and leaving him 1v2 or 1v3 on the right hand side of the pitch.

Stevesquash, SaRed, Fallon and 4 others like this.
  11. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Well-Known Member

I think opposition teams have sussed him out and know how to defend against him.

It's not rocket science tbh, if you stick a player like him out on the RW, his only choices are to either beat the defender for speed, but that would require us to release the ball early to him to give him space to run onto, but if defenders sit a little bit deeper, you limit his space, so he has to rely more on his explosive turn of pace and his dribbling skills to beat them, but both of them have dropped a notch since Afcon. His other option is to cut into the centre, and unleash that lethal left foot of his, but how many times have you seen Mo done this last season ? I can only think of a few. Defenders know when he cuts in, he'll try to shoot on his left, and it's not difficult to anticipate and defend against that.

So his only other option left, if all of the above fail, is to try to chip/cross the ball when he cuts into the middle, or play the overlapping fullback or whoever, on his right, onside. Which is probably why you're seeing Mo being more of a provider in the last few games. It could also be down to a change of tactics to accommodate Nunez or it could also be because Mo realizes his territory on the flanks, which he has dominated for years, is getting more congested and tighter, and he's being told to switch things up, instead of trying to beat his man every single time.

I can think of a few tactical changes to create more space for Mo to run and hopefully get back to his scoring best, but that would also mean focusing the team's play on one player, and i dont think Klopp and co wants that long-term. One thing noticeable is that Mo plays better when Mane was around, because Mane's runs on the left, creates space for Mo too, especially when we counter attack with speed. Defenders are forced to spread wide to cover both flanks. We're hoping Diaz will do the same too, but he doesn't really run the same lines like Mane (yet) and you can see he's clearly being told to occupy the same sections of the pitch like Mane, so maybe he's still learning but i've yet to see the same wavelength and partnership that Mo and Mane once had.

Another thing i can think of, is to get a midfielder - not just any midfielder, but someone who can dribble, and buy you that extra 1-2 secs, one who can dictate the tempo of the game comfortably. Someone like a Viera. Players like these open up spaces all over the pitch, which Mo thrives on. That's probably why i think Klopp finds Jude a very attractive option because he fits that mold.

darkstarexodus likes this.
  12. RedStar

RedStar Very Well-Known Member

We got €35m for Mané in the same circumstances, we wouldn't have gotten the sort of money for Salah that would allow us to go out and buy a world class forward. You can argue we gave him too good a contract, in fact you could argue that for a number of players. But we weren't going to get a Coutinho like fee to rebuild the team.

Frogfish likes this.
  13. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

This.

Good observation about Trent wandering infield, and leaving Mo out-marked on the flanks.

Opposition teams are trying to nullify Mo's threat by ganging up on him and bully him off the ball. They've been doing this last season, doesn't take a genius to see this. Yet, he ended up as the league's 2nd best top scorer.

If we could just figure out how to free up space for Mo, he'll be back to his best again. I'm pretty sure about that. The Nunez-Mo partnership will be interesting to watch, i reckon.

Frogfish likes this.
  14. FreshRed

FreshRed Well-Known Member

Nunez will help draw more attention from CBs, but I think giving Mo some time in the middle would have same impact it had on Mané.

Not where we really want to use them, but harder to double team and mark out of the game than out wide, sometimes. He would need an Elliott or Carvalho playing behind to get the most out of him there.

mwake likes this.
  15. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

I'm not so sure about playing Mo centrally. Don't think he has the finesse and upper body strength like Mane does, plus it will be a bit of a waste of his talents. Still think he's most effective as a wing-forward.

Take City for example. Haaland isn't your archetypal CF - he can play the battering ram role, but is equally mobile, fast and clever in timing his runs and running into spaces. When he does that well, he creates a lot of space for Foden and Alvarez, both wing-forwards.

We have a slightly similar setup too, in Nunez, Mo and Diaz.

Here's hoping Nunez becomes better than Haaland, and Mo returns to his best.

Frogfish likes this.
  16. King Binny

King Binny Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

17. darkstarexodus

darkstarexodus Very Well-Known Member

This is so true. It's fair to say he hasn't been at his best but we're not setting him up to succeed either.

At his wage, you expect at least once or twice per game for him to create something out of nothing but for that sustained excellence we need to get him the ball in space.

18. peekay

peekay Very Well-Known Member

It feels like he has used up all of his powers in the two magic goals last season - one against City and the one next week. Hasn't been the same since then.

19. Brizzle

Brizzle Very Well-Known Member

Was coming in to post this. He's threatening, but in a different way to the one we have come to expect.

20. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

On his salary you'd think the club would be playing to his strengths ... not Trents ! It worked in previous seasons, whereas allowing Trent to track infield is having a negative affect on both of them.

Delinquent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.