• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Winter Olympics 2014

Anyone going to be taking much interest?

The Skiing, Skeleton, Luge, Speed skating, Ski Jumping and Snowboard/Ski cross will be a good watch, bit of the curling aswell when it gets to the buisness end.

[hl]Ice hockey and Ice skating though, fuck that.[/hl]

Lizzie Yarnold in the skeleton looks the best bet for a British Gold, only one person can realistically beat her, the yank girl.

Other good chances of medals in the Curling and Speed skating and 1 or 2 other events.

Its fucked up how quick these events come along, doesn't seem 4 years ago watching the Vancouver games, the curling to in Salt Lake City when the British women won gold was 12 bloody years ago!

What the fuck are you talking about, the Ice Hockey is the main event, and it's been great this year. Hoping Sweden or Finland win the finals.

Its shite, can't help but be bored to death by it, i'ld rather watch an episode of Loose Women than sit through a game of Ice hockey, each to their own though.

Really hoping Elise Christie can medal tommorow, that poor girl will be ruined if she doesn't, she and Jack Whelbourne have been so unlucky.

Well done team GB women curlers

That 3rd girl Anna Sloan looked like she was going to burst into tears whenever she fucked up, which to be fair was quite often in that game, sort of got no sympathey for that, you should be fighting for that medal not feeling sorry for yourself and dragging your teammates down, luckily the Swiss fucked up a fair bit to in the end.

I managed to see one of them compete in the skeleton. He got off it as if it was his first time and he had done it 'just for the craic'.

skeleton.gif

Its shite, can't help but be bored to death by it, i'ld rather watch an episode of Loose Women than sit through a game of Ice hockey, each to their own though.
I watch my local team play Ice Hockey team every Sunday, and have watched four ice hockey games for far this Olympics. I find this statement so hard to take.

I watch my local team play Ice Hockey team every Sunday, and have watched four ice hockey games for far this Olympics. I find this statement so hard to take.

Did you see Canada V USA in the final? It was good.

Did you see Canada V USA in the final? It was good.

I missed it :( caught some highlights, dramatic or what. I saw from the 2nd on of the Bronze medal game, Sweden vs Switzerland, what a game. Tbh, I'd underestimated how good ladies hockey is, will definitely keep an eye on it in future.

I missed it :( caught some highlights, dramatic or what. I saw from the 2nd on of the Bronze medal game, Sweden vs Switzerland, what a game. Tbh, I'd underestimated how good ladies hockey is, will definitely keep an eye on it in future.

I only seen the overtime.

The men's semi-final is later today I believe. I don't know who I want to win, I lived & studied in the States for nearly a year but have lots of friends and family in Canada.

its-friday-dgaf3.gif

Hockey is boss, main sport here in Lausanne.. One of my friends from Lausane hockey club, Setzinger went to the olympics and played for Austria. Switzerland were shite, our supposed stars from the NHL were passengers, 3 goals in 4 games...not good enough back to the drawing board lads!

What a meltdown from the men curlers, the biggest game of their lives and they bottled it big time, silver is nice but they will forever regret not putting up any sort of fight.

I only seen the overtime.

The men's semi-final is later today I believe. I don't know who I want to win, I lived & studied in the States for nearly a year but have lots of friends and family in Canada.

its-friday-dgaf3.gif

Canada all the way, I dislike USA hockey team immensely, I'm hoping Sweden get the gold and Finland the Bronze!

I just realised I missed the semi between Sweden and Finland, fuck.

Fucking hell, that really sucks balls, never seen such harsh bad luck.

Seeing the state of Christie after previous bad luck it wouldn't suprise if she topped herself now.

@dantes how can a speed skater go so fast & for so long compared to a sprinter? Is it the lack of friction? It must be something to do with friction.

@dantes how can a speed skater go so fast & for so long compared to a sprinter? Is it the lack of friction? It must be something to do with friction.

Yes lack of friction is the most important factor. Also the fact the speed skater doesn't have to be upright, he can contort his body into an optimal aerodynamic shape to minimise the drag force. Also indoors he doesn't need to contend with the wind.

The only minor disadvantage could be that the air is much colder due to the ice, and at lower temperature the air will be very slightly more viscous and difficult to run through. But only a perfectionist like me would want to take such an anally retentive factor into account in their model.

Oh wait, I just checked and the viscosity of air will actually reduce with temperature too. Because of the competing effect of humidity. As you reduce the temperature, the capacity of the air to hold moisture reduces so that makes it much less viscous (i.e. you take out water molecules and free up more space for the air to flow around) than the minor gain in viscosity due to the lower temperature (i.e. less kinetic energy / vibration 'tightening up' the air molecules a bit).

This is how imperfect scientists can fuck things up. Especially in climate change. The model for Temperature v Relative Humidity is a correlation which works at constant pressure / viscosity. The models for Temperature v Viscosity work at constant Relative Humidity. So all other things being equal....this is what the engineer says will be the relationship between these two things.

In a real dynamic system all of the things are changing at the same time, so you need to ditch the correlation and derive a proper differential equation with all the factors and lots of dy/dx's and calculus to balance up all of the competing effects. And then you need to do experiments in order to work out the coefficients to assign the appropriate weight to each dy/dx.

However, a lot of 'scientists' don't like doing or thinking about mathematics. Nor do they like thinking about doing experiments for any reason other than to prove their fucking hypothesis and go look at me see I was right yayyyyy. So they just plug numbers into a correlation. Compare it to their graph. And then pat themselves on the back for having done science.

Back
Top Bottom