• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Class Midfield 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
There has always been more than a few willing to take a dig at this current Liverpool midfield, but the sum of the parts proved them all wrong this season.

Next season however could be very different.

Lallana's gone and Milner will have a much-reduced role (as per this past season) more often as a sub than a starter. I can also see Grujic (don't see a place for him - even more so if we do sign Thiago) & Shaq. onward bound too. Woodburn are Wilson both more than likely will not be involved this coming season.

That said 7 midfielders would be the right number for our squad. Will it be those seven below ?

Thiago
It seems the deal for Thiago could actually be a thing now with Bayern dropping (by €10m) their asking price from €40 million (£36.3m) to €30 million (£27.2m), with Liverpool supposedly only offering €25 million (£22.7m). That's possibly very close to the alleged Liverpool valuation and personal terms also supposedly agreed.

Klopp having been tight-lipped but not ruling out a move : “I have no idea who will play for me next year, there is nothing to say at the moment,” he said. “Thiago Alcantara is a great player, but also a Bayern Munich player. That’s actually all there is to say. There’s nothing to say!”

Gini
Negotiations are on-going on a new contract and it would be surprising if a new deal can not be agreed.

Fabinho
Fantastic before his injury, took a while to get going again and was superb again over the closing ⅓ of the season.

Along with Keita those two are likely to be the midfield staples.
Jurgen Klopp has predicted big things for Keita next season, and while he maintained the caveat of fitness, Van Dijk echoed this sentiment in his post-Newcastle interview with LFCTV.

Van Dijk labelled the No. 8 “world class,” having seen his quality on a consistent basis both in training and on the pitch. “I’m just very happy for Naby. Naby’s a fantastic guy,” he said, reflecting on the end of the season.“He works so hard and he’s an outstanding football player. We see it week in, week out.
“Unfortunately, he’s been unlucky with some injuries, but hopefully he can stay fully fit for the next season. “I think he’s world class, if I’m absolutely honest. I see all the moments when he has the ball, the smart moves, intelligence. “It’s just incredible to see, and I’m very happy for him.”

Hendo
Has has a great season. Probably better than anyone thought he was capable of. However competition will be tough next season and Hendo hits 30 yrs old. With injuries within the squad and at least 4 trophies to fight for (5 if you include the one-off Community Shield) there's no doubt he'll play a big part again - but there'll be a hugely intense battle for midfield starting slots, especially if we sign Thiago.

Ox.
Another that will be fighting for game time. Likely to be used exactly as he has been this season. Not the first name on the sheet but plenty of game time.

Jones
Looks to have deservedly established himself as a 1st Team squad player. He'll get plenty of game time, especially off the bench and in the domestic cup competitions.

Last edited:
Still can't see the Thiago thing happening.

I have been impressed with Jones, though. I wasn't sure at first.

Still can't see the Thiago thing happening.

I have been impressed with Jones, though. I wasn't sure at first.

Agreed - I would be more than happy to see him get a lot more game time. Positive player, seems to have good game intelligence to go with obvious skill. For me Thiago should only come in if Gini or someone else goes as that is a lot of people to rotate through a midfield.

Agreed - I would be more than happy to see him get a lot more game time. Positive player, seems to have good game intelligence to go with obvious skill. For me Thiago should only come in if Gini or someone else goes as that is a lot of people to rotate through a midfield.
Really ? I don't think 7 is a lot at all. Not for 3 slots and bearing in mind 4-5 competitions and injuries.

This season we had : Hendo, Gini, Milner, Fabs, Keita, Ox., Lallana, Shaq. and Jones played a few. Nine !

Shaq hardly played so there is no point counting him. Lallana was more effective than him.

Shaq hardly played so there is no point counting him. Lallana was more effective than him.
True but he still was an option and he did play (3 starts and 8 times subbed on) which means valuable rest for some. He also took of one of the rather less desirable 'injured' slots which left others free to play. A selfless act.

I would like Thiago for sure. Great player, and I'm a sucker for players with brilliant close control and skill.

That midfield ain't got shit on the Sissoko, Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard one.
I doubt that any of our current midfielder would start ahead of the latter mentioned three.
That being said, it's a decent midfield, but it's still lacking something.

That midfield ain't got shit on the Sissoko, Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard one.
I doubt that any of our current midfielder would start ahead of the latter mentioned three.

Sissoko, Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard. I am not sure that this midfield ever actually started a match together, did they?

Well not what I said at all but let's make the argument.
No-one's getting near Gerrard but it's about the unit. Gerrard wipes the floor with Keita, the nearest to Gerrard's all round skill-set.
So as I've listed Thiago he'll go up against Alonso, close. A draw.
Fabs vs. Masherano ? Slightly different skill sets, Fabs clearly the better passer, shot, header, I'd give it to Masher of course on the defensive side but if both are used as CBs (not in our team but it's a skill set to be considered in an emergency) then again I'd go Fabs simply because I don't think a midget can be a great CB (in the PL). Call it a another draw.
That leaves Hendo vs. Sissoko, no contest.

So I'd say yeah, it has got shit though Gerrard is the difference.

Thiago, from the YouTube clips I've seen, seems to be recently either playing in the number 6 (Fab) roles, or at best, playing as part of a double pivot? Anyone got more info on this

Whoscored has his position this year listed as a DMC/CDM:
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/74939/Show/Thiago

Is this a sign of him slowing down and becoming more of deep-lying playmaker, similar to when Stevie moved into DMC/CDM?

If so, is his transfer necessary?

No-one's getting near Gerrard but it's about the unit. Gerrard wipes the floor with Keita, the nearest to Gerrard's all round skill-set.
Fabs vs. Masherano ? Slightly different skill sets, Fabs clearly the better passer, shot, header, I'd give it to Masher of course on the defensive side but if both are used as CBs (not in our team but it's a skill set to be considered in an emergency) then again I'd go Fabs simply because I don't think a midget can be a great CB (in the PL). Call it a another draw.

I said the latter three. So compare Hendo to Alonso. Who wins that one?
Wijnaldum vs Gerrard?
Macherano vs Fabs is the only close one. Maybe even a draw.
But still, aint got shit on that midfield imo.

I said the latter three. So compare Hendo to Alonso. Who wins that one?
Wijnaldum vs Gerrard?
Macherano vs Fabs is the only close one. Maybe even a draw.
But still, aint got shit on that midfield imo.
I took your opening line (below) and naturally included Thiago, not your selection, since he was on my list ;)

Alonso was better than Thiago. Completely different players, but give me Xabi all day.

These are valid points from both sides of the argument but what do you all think about Lucas?

Really ? I don't think 7 is a lot at all. Not for 3 slots and bearing in mind 4-5 competitions and injuries.

This season we had : Hendo, Gini, Milner, Fabs, Keita, Ox., Lallana, Shaq. and Jones played a few. Nine !
Also have to factor in that one of Keita or Chamberlain is often used to rest a forward as a sub, & we change our dynamic, & Fabinho can be used at CB or LB also.

On top of that, I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Hendo being asked to be an 'emergency' CB on the odd occasion depending on injuries etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom