• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
OK predictions, concerns, chatter and laughs.

Tables : https://www.skysports.com/world-cup-table

Predictions & Golden Boot :
Virtually everyone has gone for Argentina or Brazil and it's hard to argue against those two.
Sutton & Gabbidon have gone for France.

Personally I think the heat is going to have an affect on those not used to it, especially European teams, so should favour some African & South American teams. Brazil are therefore my pick.

Picking Group Winners & Runners Up (see link above) is more difficult but mine are :

A: Netherlands from Senegal
B: England from Wales
C: Argentina from Poland
D: France from Denmark
E: Spain from Germany
F: Belgium from Croatia
G: Brazil from Cameroon (the heat being the difference over Switzerland & Serbia)
H: Portugal from Ghana (the heat being the difference vs. Uruguay)

Golden Boot (could depend on the relative strength of the other teams in the group stage of course, a chance to rack up some goals early) : Brazil have a more difficult group so if it has to be a player from the finalists (I'm going for Argentina vs Brazil final) then what a way for Messi to bow out !

Have to say this WC is about as interesting as watching Everton play.
Infantino currently having his presser and he cant understand the negative publicity. Such a massive cunt.

I hope Argentina wins, and that the teams with our players go out early.

316286601_2712989848837404_4506213941979555897_n.jpg

Ecuador Players taking a bath after losing the opening World Cup match 5-0 vs Qatar.

Infantino absolutely losing it ! This WC is going to be an absolute farce and total embarrassment for him and FIFA. Surely he's gone at the next elections :

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has accused the West of "hypocrisy" in its reporting of Qatar's treatment of migrant workers on the eve of the World Cup.
In an extraordinary monologue at a news conference in Doha, Infantino spoke for nearly an hour and made a passionate defence of Qatar and the tournament.
The event has been overshadowed by issues in Qatar including deaths of migrant workers and treatment of LGBT people.
Infantino opened by saying: "Today I have strong feelings. Today I feel Qatari, I feel Arab, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled, I feel a migrant worker."

A: Netherlands, Senegal
B: USA , Wales
C: Argentina, Mexico
D: France, Denmark
E: Spain, Germany
F: Belgium, Croatia
G: Brazil, Serbia
H: Portugal, Uruguay

Winner: France. They're just too good across the board. The heat will make it hard fought, but i just don't see anything from brazil.
Golden boot: Big fucking output monster Darwizzy. 7 goals by the quarters

I'm more excited to watch Nunez than anything England offer up. The mad donkey is going to leave this tournament with the golden hoof and fireworks shooting out his nostrils.

As for the tournament itself I've been in two minds whether to watch it, but I've settled on steaming the matches so not to count towards the official viewing figures, which I hope are significantly down compared to previous tournaments. It's only a small thing, but FIFA, and it's sponsors, more than deserve some push back and a fuck you from the fans. I'll be watching from the high seas.

Haven't got a clue who is strong this year, but I suspect the South American countries will best adapt to the conditions whilst having the talent to win it. Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, etc.

It's also possible this is the tournament that Southgate gets found out. He's done a steady job so far, but he's been very fortunate with the teams faced in the later stages of tournaments. If we meet someone strong in the last 16 or QFs then I'd expect normal service to resume. There's only so far drab, conservative performances get you. You need a bit of magic and sparkle mixed in and Southgate has previously been immune to it. The inclusion of Maddison and Trent might mean Southgate proves me wrong, but let's see.

Last edited:
I hope someone new wins it.

If only Belgium had selected Origi - it would have been so easy to love them.

I'm more excited to watch Nunez than anything England offer up. The mad donkey is going to leave this tournament with the golden hoof and fireworks shooting out his nostrils.

As for the tournament itself I've been in two minds whether to watch it, but I've settled on steaming the matches so not to count towards the official viewing figures, which I hope are significantly down compared to previous tournaments. It's only a small thing, but FIFA, and it's sponsors, more than deserve some push back and a fuck you from the fans. I'll be watching from the high seas.

Haven't got a clue who is strong this year, but I suspect the South American countries will best adapt to the conditions whilst having the talent to win it. Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, etc.

I suspect this is the tournament that Southgate gets found out. He's done a steady job so far, but he's been very fortunate with the teams faced in the later stages of tournaments. If we meet someone strong in the last 16 or QFs then I'd expect normal service to resume.
If all goes to plan I think England play Senegal in the last 16 (iffy game - could end right here but without Mane I think England will win). If they win that then likely France in the quarters and tournament over.

Darwin will score lots.

There’s only one team that give me great joy constantly in a majors when they play, and that’s seeing how Ingerlund implodes once again. If it’s over a penalty shoot out again, I may just die of laughter this time.

Have you lot watched Uruguay ever?

They're solid, always hard working in midfield and defense. I don't see them producing a golden boot given they're in a decent group despite the attacking talent.

The more you read or watch about the WC in Qatar, the less you want to watch any of the games.

It's going to be an absolute shit show that will totally embarrass FIFA (as if they needed any help doing that) and prove what everyone was saying about staging it in Qatar. Go buy a case of popcorn now !

Have you lot watched Uruguay ever?

They're solid, always hard working in midfield and defense. I don't see them producing a golden boot given they're in a decent group despite the attacking talent.

I haven't, but i've had the privilege of watching Darwizzy. I'm comfortable in my prediction

Wow, wow, wow !

I've just seen the BBC's chart on spending on this World Cup : Qatar have spent $220B ... that's almost as much as x3 the last 8 World Cups put together - Insane! Brazil in 2014 ($19.1B) is 2nd highest.

Infantino absolutely losing it ! This WC is going to be an absolute farce and total embarrassment for him and FIFA. Surely he's gone at the next elections :

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has accused the West of "hypocrisy" in its reporting of Qatar's treatment of migrant workers on the eve of the World Cup.
In an extraordinary monologue at a news conference in Doha, Infantino spoke for nearly an hour and made a passionate defence of Qatar and the tournament.
The event has been overshadowed by issues in Qatar including deaths of migrant workers and treatment of LGBT people.
Infantino opened by saying: "Today I have strong feelings. Today I feel Qatari, I feel Arab, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled, I feel a migrant worker."
More chance of Putin going at the next election..

FIFA is a closed shop. When he was appointed everyone knew it was a continuation of the Blatter model.

Everyone.

Why’s Linekar getting on like he’s fronting coverage of a royal funeral? You’re there mate and you’re getting paid for it just stop the faux contempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom