• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

“The Crazy Gang Have Beaten the Culture Club” - Motty RIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motty became the cliche. From the weird turns of phrase that have been copied by everyone else to the sheepskin coat to that bellend Clive Tyldesley stealing his accent. All the shit commentary now is because of him, but he wasn't shit, he was an eccentric trainspotter football nerd with encyclopaedic knowledge. Thought he'd be the type to live to about 102

Sorry but Barry Davies was streets ahead of Motty, so versatile, covered a number of sports such as Ice Skating, Tennis, the Olympics and the World Staring Championships

That’s nice - I’d love to have heard Motty pull out sone stats on World Staring Championships!!!

Motty became the cliche. From the weird turns of phrase that have been copied by everyone else to the sheepskin coat to that bellend Clive Tyldesley stealing his accent. All the shit commentary now is because of him, but he wasn't shit, he was an eccentric trainspotter football nerd with encyclopaedic knowledge. Thought he'd be the type to live to about 102
My brother once described Motty as "just a fan with a mike", which I always thought was a good thing (until Arsenal Fan TV ruined it all, obviously).
RIP

I would watch him, and wonder how and why he would know such a fact and what made him look it up? He was the Sqawka before Sqawka

I would watch him, and wonder how and why he would know such a fact and what made him look it up? He was the Sqawka before Sqawka

"Doing his homework" is the answer to both questions, and he'd have done it gladly. As Woland says, Motty was a football nut who found a way into his ideal job. Happy for the guy.

John Motson RIP.

Last edited:
Loved Motson, it became quite popular to dislike him but he was ace. That said, I did prefer Barry Davies, his "you have to say that's magnificent' was the ultimate accolade to Maradona's goal of all-time, a lot of FFS and a lot of admiration. Two giants. There was nothing worth knowing about footy that Motson couldn't relate.

Being honest, and this is an old fart's view, Wembley games aren't the same anymore. You used to be able to spot a Wembley game a mile off due to the track and the dugout, now they look like any other game from a mega-stadium. It is what it is and I'm old but it's lost something.

I too loved Motty. RIP

But why, oh why, oh why, did you remind us of that quote as part of the tribute. A memory best left forgotten.

PS - I went to school with Lawrie Sanchez :(

RIP to Motty, who really does seem to have been a lovely guy, but I have to say, he was probably one of the greatest commentators at putting me off England in every single tournament. I'd come to the start of the WC or Euros thinking, "there's a few Liverpool players here, maybe it would be good to see them do well". 5 mins into the first match against Sweden or some such Motty squeezes a reference in to 1966 and I'm like, "nah. Fuck them".

Oh my God - that pre match sample, when they zoom in on the section to the right of the goal - that was where me & my mates ended up 5 minutes before kick off when we climbed the fence from the central pen. My mate Graham, as a bit of a dick, but that was one of his ideas I am forever grateful for.

I'm pretty sure we must be in that footage, but is very grainy and I probably wouldn't recognise a 23 year old me anymore.

His references to "Reeepublic of Oireland" and "Eire" always stick in my mind. They weren't bad. It was just funny being Irish and hearing your country called "Air-ah".

H wasn't usually disrespectful to the Irish though, like say Jimmy Hill (totally awful in some utterances)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom