• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2014/15: Young Guns, Reserves and Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson, by the way, has gone off after getting a kick on the achilles. He's replaced by Callum Nicholas (an ex-manc).

I have been only watching the game fleetingly but has Wilson been as good the whole match as he has in the few minutes I have seen him.
Looks like a star in the making

I have been only watching the game fleetingly but has Wilson been as good the whole match as he has in the few minutes I have seen him.
Looks like a star in the making

Oh yes, I think so. He's quick, super-confident - 'good arrogant' - and full of tricks. He's pushing to go up a level.

4-0. Lovely team goal. Canos is given the ball in the middle of their half, he glides past defenders into the area, and with an easy shot to score he slid it unselfishly to Ryan Kent to tap in. Third assist for the excellent Canos.

Seeing as Rodgers loves the idea of 'false' positions up front, he must be thrilled by this. There's no real out-and-out striker in this side but it doesn't matter. Sinclair is more of an Ibe-style wide player rather than the centre forward he's playing as today; Kent, Marsh and Phillips flit between midfield and attack. Wilson and Canos are quick and clever wide men with an eye for goal. It makes for a very flexible and fluid attack. The absence of proper goal poachers (apart from the not-yet fit maestro, Yesil) below the first team is a bit of a pity, but when a team plays like this it's no problem at all.

(Will Marsh subbed after impressing for 84 minutes and replaced by Wayne Maxwell.)

Canos kicked yet again by a manc defender. They've really been pretty cynical today. It's as if the gloom from their first team has seeped down the ranks, they've looked down-beat and under-confident from the start.

Canos kicked yet again by a manc defender. They've really been pretty cynical today. It's as if the gloom from their first team has seeped down the ranks, they've looked down-beat and under-confident from the start.

Canos looks out on his feet, not surprising considering his work rate, but it was still a nasty late tackle by the Manc,

FT: 4-0. A really strong, bright, dominant performance. Well done to Brewitt for looking like a proper CB even though the rest of the defence looked fairly mediocre, and to Fulton for doing little very well in goal (it's still early days, but he looks like he might actually become the first decent reserve keeper since Ogrizovic; he's certainly a keeper with personality and solid skills). The game was all about our attack, though, and it was a great performance of real flair. Wilson, who went off injured after one too many clatterings, and Canos were the stars that stood out - both of them excellent prospects. Sinclair did well in a fairly unconventional position for him, and the rest of the midfield and attack also had impressive moments. Good stuff!

I'm enjoying hearing this hype over canos and Wilson. Any chance of either of them making the bench this year you think?

I don't see why not in an early league cup game or something like that, and then who knows. Their pace is excellent, and they're clever, too. Wilson, obviously, is already a Welsh international (albeit it for just a brief cameo), and plays like he's impatient to progress, so he wouldn't be fazed at all. Canos is a high quality player who needn't be rushed, but it would be sensible IMHO to involve him at Melwood and see how he fares.

I don't see why not in an early league cup game or something like that, and then who knows. Their pace is excellent, and they're clever, too. Wilson, obviously, is already a Welsh international (albeit it for just a brief cameo), and plays like he's impatient to progress, so he wouldn't be fazed at all. Canos is a high quality player who needn't be rushed, but it would be sensible IMHO to involve him at Melwood and see how he fares.

Canos physically looks ready doesn't he? He's a big unit.

The Barbadian Prince@keswickbro 22m
#LFC signed 17yr old winger Madger Gomes from Villarreal. pic.twitter.com/X8c8ZtWK75
Bwj8_QVCEAAhoxb.jpg

Had a quick look at our reserve team. Do we really have any up coming stars in it? Players with the potential to make the first team squad?
The only player who stands out in the same way Suso and Sterling did is Teixeira.
Just to be clear I'm not judging the 17 year olds.

What do you mean by the reserve team? Everyone else in the first team squad? Rossiter is a dead cert for the team in the future as far as I'm concerned. If you include the rest of the youngsters, then Canos has a good chance of becoming a star, and Wilson will thrive as well.

Er, if you mean the over 17s, then I suppose Teixeira is the stand out candidate.

Lloyd Jones is another, but I'm starting to lose all faith in a centre half ever making the break through. They have to be absolutely outstanding to get a chance, it seems. The GK Fulton is another with great potential, but similar doubts apply to that position as well.

Of the 17 year olds, Rossiter and Ojo will both make it IMO, they're excellent. Wilson I think is less impressive but still stands a good chance. Tbf to him he's not going to look that great until he starts filling out and finishes growing.

I don't rate Canos as highly as a lot of people. I think he lacks a bit of elegance. I certainly wouldn't put him in the same category as the other 3.

What do you mean by the reserve team? Everyone else in the first team squad? Rossiter is a dead cert for the team in the future as far as I'm concerned. If you include the rest of the youngsters, then Canos has a good chance of becoming a star, and Wilson will thrive as well.
Like I said I'm talking about the 18-21 year olds.
I know all about Rossiter, Canos, Wilson etc
Forgot to mention Ibe.
Seems to me that it's Teixeira and Ibe who are our potential first team players in that age group.
To clarify, I'm basically talking about the lads who played in the latest reserve games and those who are out on loan.

The only player who stands out in the same way Suso and Sterling did is Teixeira.

Still not that clear. You DON'T think anyone stands out as much as Teixeira?

I know all about Rossiter, Canos, Wilson etc. Forgot to mention Ibe.

Bemused. So that means you don't rate Rossiter, Canos, Wilson, Ibe etc as highly as Teixeira?

Seems to me that it's Teixeira and Ibe who are our potential first team players in that age group.

So now it's only Ibe who stands out as much as Texiera? Still genuinely baffled if you're really discounting all the rest. You've been positive about them in the past.

Maybe Modo wants to know about the players he doesn't know about?

Or he doesn't know about the players he wants to know about?

Or he doesn't want to know about the players he doesn't know?

Or he doesn't want to know about the players that he knows about, more the players he doesn't know.?

*goes for lie down*

Lol I think Modo is simply referring to that last batch of players who are just starting to be replaced by last year's under 18s.

Smith
Lussey
Dunn
Jones
McLaughlin
Yesil
Pelosi

Etc

Broadly that age group. The 2013 youth cup semi finalist team.

Maybe Modo is saying that of the reserve players who are between the ages 18 and 21, the only ones who stand out are Ibe and Teixeira.

Again I'm excluding the 17 year olds because it's too early to tell. I'm basically talking about the players that in a year or two will be "too old" to play for the reserves.

Lol I think Modo is simply referring to that last batch of players who are just starting to be replaced by last year's under 18s.

Smith
Lussey
Dunn
Jones
McLaughlin
Yesil
Pelosi

Etc

Broadly that age group. The 2013 youth cup semi finalist team.

Exactly.

I still have some hope for McLaughlin though but time is running out for him.

I think with McLaughlin we're seeing how true it is that even very good prospects need luck to succeed at such a high level as LFC. If he'd avoided injuries and had the kind of opportunities that opened up for Flanagan (on two occasions) then I'm pretty sure he'd have made it. As it is he's got a mountain to climb because the injuries meant he's not far enough along to have been considered now Johnson's coming to the end, which means Manquillo was signed.

He's basically in the same boat as Teixeira. Needs to find a loan and do really really well. He does that and he might be kept on as a squad player.

Smith is in a similar situation but IMO is less talented, and has an even better young player ahead of him.

Lussey and Dunn are odd ones because they look like good players to me (better than say Coady at the same age) but have made so little progress the last two seasons. Dunn has had injuries but Lussey just doesn't seem to be fancied. Odd because there's nothing much wrong with his game. Anyway, hard to see them or any of the other midfielders or attackers making it from here.

I think with McLaughlin we're seeing how true it is that even very good prospects need luck to succeed at such a high level as LFC. If he'd avoided injuries and had the kind of opportunities that opened up for Flanagan (on two occasions) then I'm pretty sure he'd have made it. As it is he's got a mountain to climb because the injuries meant he's not far enough along to have been considered now Johnson's coming to the end, which means Manquillo was signed.

He's basically in the same boat as Teixeira. Needs to find a loan and do really really well. He does that and he might be kept on as a squad player.

Smith is in a similar situation but IMO is less talented, and has an even better young player ahead of him.

Lussey and Dunn are odd ones because they look like good players to me (better than say Coady at the same age) but have made so little progress the last two seasons. Dunn has had injuries but Lussey just doesn't seem to be fancied. Odd because there's nothing much wrong with his game. Anyway, hard to see them or any of the other midfielders or attackers making it from here.

I agree with all of that.

Regarding Dunn and Lussey, I just don't see them making it at Liverpool.
They look the part at reserve level playing against other players their age, but I just don't see what I saw in Suso, Sterling and to some extent Teixeira. What I mean is that they're not dominating games or showing that they belong at a higher level.
The three I mentioned looked like stars when they played for the reserves.

McLaughlin showed a lot of quality in the recent reserve game, the lads' getting picked for the national team. It says something, despite NI not being one of the better national set ups in Europe atm. But like you said, injuries and a lot of bad luck has sadly hampered the boy's progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom