• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A Cricket Thread

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=28565.msg732955#msg732955 date=1227553435]
[quote author=foureyes link=topic=28565.msg732953#msg732953 date=1227553316]
4-0.
[/quote]

quelle surprise
[/quote]

Love it.

[quote author=foureyes link=topic=28565.msg733007#msg733007 date=1227555652]
[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=28565.msg732955#msg732955 date=1227553435]
[quote author=foureyes link=topic=28565.msg732953#msg732953 date=1227553316]
4-0.
[/quote]

quelle surprise
[/quote]

Love it.
[/quote]

me too, sadly

Now the bunch of wusses have run away from India, allegedly because of the Bombay terrorist episode.

It will be interesting to see whether they can be coaxed back on to a plane to go back for the two test matches which start in a couple of weeks' time.

Cowardice seems to come naturally to England cricketers, who vanish at the slightest sign of trouble. However it has to be said that the Aussies are even worse.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28565.msg736725#msg736725 date=1227946252]
Now the bunch of wusses have run away from India, allegedly because of the Bombay terrorist episode.

It will be interesting to see whether they can be coaxed back on to a plane to go back for the two test matches which start in a couple of weeks' time.

Cowardice seems to come naturally to England cricketers, who vanish at the slightest sign of trouble. However it has to be said that the Aussies are even worse.
[/quote]

They were going to be based in Mumbai soon.

You know.... the place where people with British or American passports have been targeted by terrorists.

That could easily have been changed. The test match that was due to be played in Mumbai has already been rescheduled for Chennai.

Basically England teams just don't like touring India, what with the Delhi belly and getting whacked in every match. They were glad of an excuse to get on a plane back home.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28565.msg736733#msg736733 date=1227949283]
That could easily have been changed. The test match that was due to be played in Mumbai has already been rescheduled for Chennai.

Basically England teams just don't like touring India, what with the Delhi belly and getting whacked in every match. They were glad of an excuse to get on a plane back home.
[/quote]

mm. I doubt playing in Chennai would have caused much trouble to them in terms of safety. Their reputation on the other hand...

Being a bit harsh there, portly; I think it does get to a point where personal safety deffo overshadows cowardice or fear of playing away and its safe to say its reached that point.

I don't see it that way, Hardcastle. Plenty of people will be going on business trips to India - maybe some of them will be a bit apprehensive, but they will go because that is their job. I doubt whether many people who have booked holidays to India will cancel because of the terrorist episode.

After 9/11 there wasn't a mass exodus of foreigners from the USA, nor from Britain after 7/7.

If there is some technical reason why cricketers are more vulnerable than anybody else, I will withdraw my remarks, but I would like to know what it is.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28565.msg736846#msg736846 date=1227967581]
I don't see it that way, Hardcastle. Plenty of people will be going on business trips to India - maybe some of them will be a bit apprehensive, but they will go because that is their job. I doubt whether many people who have booked holidays to India will cancel because of the terrorist episode.

After 9/11 there wasn't a mass exodus of foreigners from the USA, nor from Britain after 7/7.

If there is some technical reason why cricketers are more vulnerable than anybody else, I will withdraw my remarks, but I would like to know what it is.
[/quote]

More vulnerable, playing in an open sports venue, with the media's eye constantly on them? I'd say that makes them vulnerable. If I were in their shoes, I'd not feel to happy about putting my personal safety at risk for a game of cricket of all things. RE 9/11 and 7/7, two events that took place in familiar, western, english speaking countries, not in foreign, perhaps less familiar states, i'd say there'd be a natural bias for any english men to feel less inclined to play there post terrorist activity than they would in the US/UK.

The fact the terrorists went out of their way to get westerners, is the crux of the argument for me. I agree there's a fine line between cowardice and doing the safe/right thing or whatever, but in this case I genuinely think they've done the right thing, regardless of whether they are all collectively breathing a sigh of relief at not getting a good smashing at cricket. Maybe it is a bit of a convenient excuse?

Well, I can imagine the players' relief when boarding the aircraft and sinking back into their seats! ;D

There's no doubt that the England cricket team would have been targets for terrorist attacks. But this fact is glaringly obvious to most, especially after recent events, so the security would be water tight. Er, by Indian standards anyway.

Go South Africa.

What a first test that was; 8 wickets in one innings from Mitchell Johnson, centruires for Smith and the brilliant De Villiers, and the second highest ever 5th day run chase achieved.

Can't wait for Boxing day.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=28565.msg759172#msg759172 date=1229900412]
Go South Africa.

What a first test that was; 8 wickets in one innings from Mitchell Johnson, centruires for Smith and the brilliant De Villiers, and the second highest ever 5th day run chase achieved.

[/quote]

Ponting has outsdone himself in the stroppy department this time.

Two many passengers. Too right Ricky, espicially when your number 3 score a grand total of 32 runs in two innings including a golden duck... eh?

Hayden needs to do himself a favour and retire while his reputation isn't in tatters.

[quote author=StevieM link=topic=28565.msg760919#msg760919 date=1230074503]
Go South Africa.

[/quote]

Two many passengers. Too right Ricky, espicially when your number 3 score a grand total of 32 runs in two innings including a golden duck... eh?

Hayden needs to do himself a favour and retire while his reputation isn't in tatters.
[/quote]

I went to the G yesterday. MCC seats too, thankyewverymuch.

I quite liked Harris, the orthodox SA spinner. An economy of 2 runs per over. Where's he been all these years?

It'll be a draw btw.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=28565.msg762412#msg762412 date=1230344925]
[quote author=StevieM link=topic=28565.msg760919#msg760919 date=1230074503]
Go South Africa.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I went to the G yesterday. MCC seats too, thankyewverymuch.

I quite liked Harris, the orthodox SA spinner. An economy of 2 runs per over. Where's he been all these years?

It'll be a draw btw.
[/quote]

Nice. Hayden's f**ked. Ponting got himself out of jail with a decent knock (terrible dropped catch though).

Draw is probable.

Hilarious to watch this happen to Australia.

Even though I am Australian, I can't stand the cricket team and the Australian cricket personalities who commentate on the game - except Shane Warne, I like him ;D

Ian Healy, Bill Lawry and Ian Chapell - their commentary makes me cringe.

The most biased commentators in cricket.

I love it how they were shut up today by Steyn and Duminy.

[quote author=Roopy link=topic=28565.msg763777#msg763777 date=1230478231]
Hilarious to watch this happen to Australia.

Even though I am Australian, I can't stand the cricket team and the Australian cricket personalities who commentate on the game - except Shane Warne, I like him ;D

Ian Healy, Bill Lawry and Ian Chapell - their commentary makes me cringe.

The most biased commentators in cricket.

I love it how they were shut up today by Steyn and Duminy.
[/quote]

They are very sore losers.

The MCG was empty on the last day of the second test.

Duminy is amazing even though he was lucky to get to 100.

England all out for 51!

Against a side that's won 2 of their last 30 tests. Wonderful stuff.

The decision to rid Pietersen of the captaincy, after he looked like the only man with some sort of plan as to how to take this team forward, seems an excellent one now.

Second Test abandoned "for the day" after 10 balls had been bowled by the West Indies.

The playing surface is covered in sand to improve drainage and the bowlers can't get a proper foothold for their run-up.

Nothing is going to be any different tomorrow so I guess that the match has been abandoned full stop.

According to the commentators, the ground has been in this sandy state for months, but nobody had taken the trouble to get a bowler to run up a couple of times to ensure that it was playable.

England draw the second test after failing to bowl out the West Inides on the fifth day.

They had 60 deliveries at 353-9 against two of the worst tailend batsmen alive and still couldn't bowl them out.

Really bad stuff.

I thought it was a mistake to hand the ball to Harmison when West Indies were 9 wickets down. Harmy proceeded to bowl an array of bouncers and wide deliveries that were never going to get numbers 10 and 11 out! All you need to do is aim for the fucking stumps, Harmy! >:(

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28565.msg807404#msg807404 date=1235083035]
I thought it was a mistake to hand the ball to Harmison when West Indies were 9 wickets down. Harmy proceeded to bowl an array of bouncers and wide deliveries that were never going to get numbers 10 and 11 out! All you need to do is aim for the fucking stumps, Harmy! >:(
[/quote]

I only saw the highlights so can't comment that much.

The thing with handing the ball to Harmison in that situation, is that Enbgland are relying on him nailing a yorker with a slower ball because he did it once 4 years ago. Well, he's not done a lot since, and giving him the opportunity to rleive that moment is only denying your real wicket-takers in swann and Broad the opportunity to win the game.

Swann would surely have gotten one of those clowns out.

[quote author=Portly link=topic=28565.msg807404#msg807404 date=1235083035]
[/quote]

they really missed a fit Freddie there, in swinging full deliveries are what you need against tail enders, Flintoff is very good at mopping up.

Fred ducks me off, lose the belly lad, do some yoga and you may stop getting injured. Its a disgrace that even in this professional day there are still overweight England cricketers.

Missed a real chance there, need to win last two tests now.

Good to see Swanny do well, Monty will have to fight for his ashes place

Back
Top Bottom