• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Africa cup of Nations 2021 dates announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
2021, surely?

Still shit news, of course.
I don't speak French, but I believe I got the dates correctly.
With the World cup finals being played in November-December 2022, we will be hit by stupid decisions when we are entering the best spell we've had for 30 years.

[article]
Everything seems to indicate that the next edition of the African Cup of Nations will take place in January and February, in order to allow FIFA to organize the World Cup of clubs new formula, in summer.
A. Bi.updated on January 8, 2020 at 09:38

The African Football Confederation (CAF) will announce in the coming weeks the dates of the next African Cup of Nations (CAN), which will be contested in 2021 and - in theory - in Cameroon. According to our information, the decision of the authority to play it in winter is already taken, and more precisely between January 15 and February 14.

In 2017, CAF reformed its flagship competition , increasing the number of selections in the final phase from sixteen to twenty-four and choosing to organize it in summer, as in Egypt in 2019. Since then, FIFA has decided to reform the Club World Cup, which will affect twenty-four teams in 2021, against seven currently. The competition will take place every four years in summer. CAF therefore has no other choice than to make a calendar shift, and to opt, as before 2017, for the winter period.

A plan B in Gabon to counter a possible failure of Cameroon?
Questions also concern the ability of Cameroon, already deprived of the organization of the 2019 edition , to host the competition in a year. Numerous delays on several sites, such as Garoua, Bafoussam and Yaoundé, slow down the progress of the works, and a CAF inspection mission is expected on site at the end of the month. Gabon, host country in 2017 , has even been approached by the body, which is considering a plan B.

published on January 8, 2020 at 9:31 a.m.updated onJanuary 8, 2020 at 9:38 a.m
[/article]

Translated text.

Time to get Sancho in this summer. We'll need him. Can't rely on Chamberlain, Origi and Elliot for the wide positions for a month. With Salah, Keita and Mane going then we will be disproportionate affected. City lose Mahraz who they can comfortably cover.

We had better win it. We may have to play the U15 squad in the Carabao cup semis and the U9 in the FA Cup third round but, goddamnit, Liverpool Football Club will soon be African champions!

Not really that bad to be fair winter break is beginning of February

So 3 weeks loosing players

6 weeks away for sadio and salah at the busiest time of the year. they will miss the xmas period too

6 weeks away for sadio and salah at the busiest time of the year. they will miss the xmas period too

Why would they miss Christmas period? The tournament starts January 9th. Not sure when the training camps start, but star players the date of arrival might be negotiable.

[article]The decision to move the Africa Cup of Nations back to January could see more than 30 current Premier League players miss up to six matches and could "put managers off" making signings.

The 2019 tournament - won by Algeria - was held in June and July but next year's edition has been moved back to January.

Premier League leaders Liverpool could lose Senegal's Sadio Mane, Egypt's Mohamed Salah and Guinea's Naby Keita for a month next season.

"It definitely affects your thinking when it comes to signing African players," former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp told BBC World Service.

"Invariably when they come back from the tournament, they're not the same. They don't seem to recover from the rigours of the Cup of Nations."

The 2017 decision to move the start of the competition to June, from January, was widely welcomed, especially by top European clubs.

But next year's competition will take place from 9 January to 6 February, 2021, having been moved because of weather conditions in host country Cameroon - where there were highs of 33C on Wednesday.

The change also means that the tournament will not clash with the expanded Club World Cup, being held in China in June 2021.

"You'll suddenly lose players for six to eight weeks because they will go away to a training camp before," Redknapp told the Sport Today programme.

"When you're signing players, you do look at it and if they're going away to the Cup of Nations, sometimes you think: 'I'll give this one a miss.'

Further down the footballing pyramid, the move could also hamper a player's club career.

Dagenham & Redbridge defender Gabriel Zakuani - a former DR Congo captain and Peterborough, Northampton and Gillingham player - says he missed out on signing for clubs in the past because he would be away for so long during the season.

"I've had offers of a new contract taken off the table because I decided to go to the Cup of Nations," he told Sport Today.

"I can understand it from the point of view of managers but we want to go and we want to win it. I've had managers pulling their hair out every time I've had to go but it's tradition.

"The weather is better in that period in Cameroon [the winter]; we need the best Cup of Nations for African football and that's the right time to play it. It's as important in a career as anything else."
[/article]

[article]
Who would my club miss?
Which players could your Premier League club be without next season? Based on internationals in current squads, and assuming all listed nations qualified:

Arsenal - Pierre-Emerick Aubmaeyang (Gabon), Nicolas Pepe (Ivory Coast), Mohamed Elneny (Egypt - currently on loan at Besiktas)

Aston Villa - Marvelous Nakamba (Zimbabwe), Trezeguet (Egypt), Jonathan Kodjia (Ivory Coast), Ahmed Elmohamady (Egypt)

Brighton - Leon Balogun (Nigeria), Yves Bissouma (Mali), Gaetan Bong (Cameroon), Percy Tau (South Africa - currently on loan at Club Brugge)

Crystal Palace - Jeffrey Schlupp (Ghana), Cheikhou Kouyate (Senegal), Jordan Ayew (Ghana), Wilfried Zaha (Ivory Coast)

Everton - Alex Iwobi (Nigeria), Jean-Philippe Gbamin (Ivory Coast), Oumar Niasse (Senegal), Yannick Bolasie (DR Congo - currently on loan at Sporting Lisbon)

Leicester City - Kelechi Ịheanachọ (Nigeria), Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria), Daniel Amartey (Ghana), Islam Slimani (Algeria - currently on loan at Monaco), Rachid Ghezzal (Algeria - currently on loan at Fiorentina)

Liverpool - Naby Keita (Guinea), Mohamed Salah (Egypt), Sadio Mane (Senegal). Joel Matip (Cameroon) has retired from international football.

Manchester City - Riyad Mahrez (Algeria)

Manchester United - Eric Bailly (Ivory Coast)

Newcastle - Christian Atsu (Ghana), Henri Saivet (Senegal)

Southampton - Moussa Djenepo (Mali), Sofiane Boufal (Morocco), Mario Lemina (Gabon - currently on loan at Galatasaray)

Tottenham - Victor Wanyama (Kenya), Serge Aurier (Ivory Coast)

Watford - Isaac Success (Nigeria)

West Ham - Arthur Masuaku (DR Congo)

Wolves - Romain Saiss (Morocco)
[/article]

Why would they miss Christmas period? The tournament starts January 9th. Not sure when the training camps start, but star players the date of arrival might be negotiable.

They will be required to join 2 weeks prior. Not likely they are going to rock up on the 8th January

Yeah!!.. Fifa wants the first 24-team Club World Cup in China in June and July of 2021.so If we are once again CL winners we will at least have those players back for that, barring Injuries and providing they are still at the club, but we will need non-African strikers signed this season with that (ACN) in mind for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom