• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit game today. I thought he turned a corner, after last game.

May be if we bring in a genuine wide player and give him a guaranteed outlet that he can pick with his eyes closed, may be he will stop fucking about with our possession?

to be fair to alonso he was holding and midweek for spain he was playing in an advanced position but that doesn't excuse the the shocking misplaced passes.

Yeah, he was poor today. Was it not him that lost the ball before Mido ended up scoring? Lost the ball deep in his own half not too long before that as well.

[quote author=viingx link=topic=26402.msg655143#msg655143 date=1219513686]
Poor poor passing, and the most worrying thing ws that he did have time on the ball.
[/quote]

Thats what I thought? He was in acres yet lost out 4/5 times just in second half?

I don't wish to sound hopelessly defensive, but Alonso was at worst 'ordinary'.

He certainly wasn't poor and I think, like Kuyt, Cisse and other players who have fallen out of favour in some quarters, he is harshly judged by many.

Ordinary by most centre midfielders standards maybe, but we've seen Xabi at his best Brendan and he was poor, at best, today.

By his own standards, he was poor.

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=26402.msg655282#msg655282 date=1219522547]
I don't wish to sound hopelessly defensive, but Alonso was at worst 'ordinary'.

He certainly wasn't poor and I think, like Kuyt, Cisse and other players who have fallen out of favour in some quarters, he is harshly judged by many.
[/quote]

Alonso was fucking shit this game. Thats not the shit lager talking either. He was awful. And I like the man, and want him to do well. He either had the luxury of time because he was babysitting the defensive four (i.e. being useless bar a long pass) or he was caught in possession because he didn't have that luxury. He ran like he was knee deep in mud.

I agree with Brendan and Xabi wasn't as bad as some suggest, certainly not that much worse than Stevie. Of course Stevie scored the winner and so it becomes much easier to forget a very average performance from him.

granted he scored the winner, but up and till then, did gerrard do any better. I doubt it. The whole fucking team were very very bad today, singling out alonso is a case of witchhunting

I feel sorry for alonso because I think you will only see the best of him in an advanced position (like he was for spain middweek) but get he isn't as good as gerrard to command that position when masherano and lucas return will he drop out of the team?

I wish the transfers had gone through this summer, but it was a mis-control that forced him to give the ball away before the goal, not his usual dawdling. Arbeloa could have closed Mido down well before he was ready to shoot, but decided to pull back and wide even though Kuyt was tracking the winger.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=26402.msg655288#msg655288 date=1219523055]
He was very very bad.
[/quote]

We've said that far too often over the last 24 months, and still, people defend him non-stop. He's not good enough for the system, the league or whatever. Once Masher comes back, he's on the bench and he'll be a good option off the bench until someone pays 15 mill.

[quote author=cochyn link=topic=26402.msg655297#msg655297 date=1219524176]
granted he scored the winner, but up and till then, did gerrard do any better. I doubt it. The whole fucking team were very very bad today, singling out alonso is a case of witchhunting
[/quote]

It's not witch hunting to point out a poor performance, mate.

Xabi started brightly today, but for certainly the last hour, though industrious (and he WAS trying to get things moving, while Steven was anonymous...) very little that he tried came off. He gave the ball away cheaply several times, including the build up to their goal, and put us under needless pressure by doing so.

Steven was dreadful today as well. And then he scored the winner. Which is all that many will remember.

It's not fair. but...

And it doesn't change the fact that Xabi was very poor for most of the game.

I thought he had a fairly good first half but was poor in the second.

It was amusing seeing both Barry & Alonso both being guilty of giving away possession to result in goal.

Utter shite. As FFF said... "what's the point of someone who can pass it 60 yards, but can't pass it 10 yards?".

Correct statement. I've had enough. Woeful.

He had a poor game today and it doesnt take a genius to work out that he tends to struggle when he is made to hurry.

That said he can be a big player for us this season if he is allowed to play in the attacking third rather than as a sitting defensive midfielder.

He was gash. As soon as Mascherano is back he can hopefully become a bench warmer. Do his thing as he did with Sunderland and pull the strings late on or whatever, I don't care I just dont want to see him trot around the pitch giving the ball away far too easily etc.

[quote author=Hamaan link=topic=26402.msg655368#msg655368 date=1219531652]
He had a poor game today and it doesnt take a genius to work out that he tends to struggle when he is made to hurry.

That said he can be a big player for us this season if he is allowed to play in the attacking third rather than as a sitting defensive midfielder.
[/quote]

He didin't have too hurry much when taking corners. Yet he couldn't deliver a decent cross.

The corners were the worst i have seen from a Liverpool player in a long while. He went short on his first three tries because he had absolutely no confidence on getting the elevation and placement of the cross right. Which showed when he tried to actually get the ball inside the box. It mostly ended up being a pass to the first boro man in sight.

I echo the sentiments of most.
Hes a fucking passenger and can fuck off.

He was utter shite. Needs to move on, quickly.

You can't defend a performance like last night. He lost the ball in very dangerous positions.

Both Lucas and Mascher are infront of him in the que.

[quote author=madmax link=topic=26402.msg655451#msg655451 date=1219562319]
The corners were the worst i have seen from a Liverpool player in a long while. He went short on his first three tries because he had absolutely no confidence on getting the elevation and placement of the cross right. Which showed when he tried to actually get the ball inside the box. It mostly ended up being a pass to the first boro man in sight.
[/quote]

That's fair enough, but it's also significant regards us having any wide players who can deliver a decent ball. Ideally it would be a wide player taking the corners.

That said, I was quite disappointed with him dropping so deep and getting into trouble, I think Boro were instructed to close him down early, but he did play some clever balls forward, having a hand in the second goal too. I just wish he didn't have to drop so deep, if he was freed of that responsibility then I think we'd see a different player.

Alonso was the worst player on the pitch yesterday. I he lost his form as fast as he gained it.
He needs to move on.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=26402.msg655479#msg655479 date=1219567459]

That said, I was quite disappointed with him dropping so deep and getting into trouble, I think Boro were instructed to close him down early, but he did play some clever balls forward, having a hand in the second goal too. I just wish he didn't have to drop so deep, if he was freed of that responsibility then I think we'd see a different player.
[/quote]

Xabi shouldn't have to come deep so often to collect the ball but our back 4 still doesn't have the confidence to carry the ball out and start attacks. Perhaps they don't have the ability to do so. If Xabi didn't come deep and make himself available, we'll see a lot more hopeful punts forward.

[quote author=Tinto link=topic=26402.msg655491#msg655491 date=1219568373]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=26402.msg655479#msg655479 date=1219567459]

[/quote]

Xabi shouldn't have to come deep so often to collect the ball but our back 4 still doesn't have the confidence to carry the ball out and start attacks. Perhaps they don't have the ability to do so. If Xabi didn't come deep and make himself available, we'll see a lot more hopeful punts forward.
[/quote]

Spot on....The role of the deep lying defensive midfield to pick the ball from defence to link up play with the rest of midfield is crucial, particularly when our CBs favour the long punt probably due to lack of clever movement from the rest of the team. We see that with Milan-Pirlo, madrid-gago, Manu-carrick, chelsea-mikel and the list can go on....

Xabi's passing range and technique clearly suits the deep lying midfield role but his lack of athleticism is really counting against him. Xabi did well against sunderland when they dropped too deep into their own half and was given the space by Diouf and Murphy. But he tends to be poor when the opposition is right up in his face. space is at a premium and is the reason why maybe he ain't that suited for the English league. So I can't understand why people on here think he'll do better higher up in midfield, where there's less space for him to turn and pick a pass.... He can hardly turn and dribble, he won't be able to win much 2nd balls tackling with his hip. He'll be better off in another team, probably in another league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom