• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Andy Carroll - Liverpools Number 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=43933.msg1293761#msg1293761 date=1299100058]
[quote author=Avvy link=topic=43933.msg1293721#msg1293721 date=1299094165]
Comparisons are always made between him and Shankly; but if you ask me he has more in common with Paisley.

Both are brilliant, and both could be ruthless.

The difference is that Paisley (and Shanks) usually got people on his side by being honest and decent; but that scumbag probably thought he could get further by being a scumbag. He's used various tactics; but they all revolve around cajoling, threatening and bullying everyone and everything he could make use of. In some ways, he's been proven right, I guess.

He's been an incredibly successful manager; but it'll always stick at his craw that in a total of 9 years Paisley won 3 European Cups, 6 titles, 1 UEFA Cup and one or two FA Cups whilst it took him YEARS to win anything.

That's why he hates us so much.

It'll be a great day when that lump of shit (advance apologies to KHL) is finally out of football.
[/quote]

Good post. I mentioned Shanks in particular because Ferguson consciously modelled himself on the great man. If you haven't already read it, treat yourself to a copy of "If You're Second You Are Nothing", a fascinating and instructive comparison of Shanks and Ferguson's careers by Oliver Holt.
[/quote]

Thanks,Jules...not read it personally, but that was the book I was thinking about when you mentioned the Shanks reference.

I actually find the idea that he could be similar to Shankly very nauseating; both were Scots and very disciplined and successful.

But would Ferguson pick up a scarf kicked aside by a policeman and say 'don't do that, this is someone's life'...or tell Brian Reade that he didnt mind not getting honours because the people dishing out honours werent his people, because his people went to Anfield?

Not in a million years.

He could win 10 Champions Leagues, and he'll still never be thought of by the Mancs the way we think of Shankly.

Similar, but utterly different.

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=43933.msg1293779#msg1293779 date=1299101581]

Thanks,Jules...not read it personally, but that was the book I was thinking about when you mentioned the Shanks reference.

I actually find the idea that he could be similar to Shankly very nauseating; both were Scots and very disciplined and successful.

But would Ferguson pick up a scarf kicked aside by a policeman and say 'don't do that, this is someone's life'...or tell Brian Reade that he didnt mind not getting honours because the people dishing out honours werent his people, because his people went to Anfield?

Not in a million years.

He could win 10 Champions Leagues, and he'll still never be thought of by the Mancs the way we think of Shankly.

Similar, but utterly different.
[/quote]

Don't agree with that last part Avvy. I know plenty of mancs - including some who lived through the time period - who think Shanks was a bully with zero respect for anything or anyone save for the way it would impact on his club. There are plenty more who think the world of Ferguson and see him as the perfect individual for the time in which he arrived at the club - no other type of individual would have survived nor succeeded in their opinion. Shanks will always be someone we adore for what he stood for in respect of our club but he did it in a different era with different social conditions.

Don't get me wrong, Shanks and Paisley will always be the greatest managers English football has ever seen IMO but their not regarded with such affection by supporters of other clubs today. Many of them despise them though grudingly respect them albeit offering up platitudes that they "got awful lucky" in many cases and, ironically, that Shanks success was down partly to a fall from grace of other clubs.

As for JJ, I've watched a lot of their matches this season and I don't buy the notion that they've been helped by refs for a moment. I wouldn't have to go past the Chelsea match to point to instances where they've been crucified by the ref - handball by Terry in the first 15 minutes, never a penalty by Smalling, Rooney getting assualted all game with nothing given.

There's such a presiding notion that they "get" all the decisions amongst many of us and, IMO, it's rubbish. They've been "lucky" no more often than we or the Chavs or city have been - but they've made the most of their luck more often and been better when they've had no luck. That's been the difference between them and most teams across Europe this season......... and many seasons before this one for that matter.

Let's agree to differ. The fact that they make the most of their opportunities isn't and never has been at issue, but (to coin a phrase) I wouldn't have to go past our game against them at Old Toilet and the penalty they got for Berbatov's slow-motion dive to show that they most certainly have been favoured by referees, nor was that by any means the only time this season. As far as other seasons go, some years ago someone posted on here the stat that the Mancs get a stunning 87% of refereeing decisions in their favour at Old Toilet, and I'd lay odds that things have not changed meanwhile.

I lived through the whole of the Shankly period myself BTW and, while some Mancs may have said those things, the point here is that the incidence of other fans doing so was vastly less than it is today with regard to Ferguson. Neither we nor our manager were anything like as despised by the uncommitted as the Mancs are now and have been for quite a while, though we were equally dominant.

Your general view, if I understand it correctly, is that the school of thought to which I belong on this represents a combination of understandable partisanship and consequently skewed judgement. I'm going to turn that back at you and suggest that you belong to an equally understandable, if smaller, "see no evil" body of opinion which finds it hard to face the idea that the Mancs - for all their admitted quality and winning momentum - have also had unearned help from outside factors, and is therefore compelled to insist that "it didn't happen".

Maybe the truth, as so often, lies somewhere in the middle.

honey-badger.jpg

The pound-for-pound baddest mutha fucka on four legs.

The Honey Badger.

[quote author=Fabio link=topic=43933.msg1293944#msg1293944 date=1299146411]
Looks like tevez
[/quote]

Looks like Tevez was attacked by one.

I suppose an indestructible, massively aggressive adamantium-clawed mutant called *Honey Badger* wouldn't really flow, would it ?

Shame.

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=43933.msg1293950#msg1293950 date=1299146743]
That thing is supposed to go for the balls if it attacks you
[/quote]

The "uncanny ball-biter" sounds much better.

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=43933.msg1293950#msg1293950 date=1299146743]
That thing is supposed to go for the balls if it attacks you
[/quote]

You better stop those honey treatments, Avvy. The thing about it increasing your potency is only a myth.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-on-andy-carroll-fitness?

Kenny Dalglish remained tight-lipped on whether Andy Carroll could be fit to make his Liverpool debut against Manchester United on Sunday.

The Reds hope to secure a third successive Anfield victory over their north-west rivals - and their chances would only be enhanced by the presence of record signing Carroll.

The 22-year-old last played in Newcastle United's 2-0 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur on December 28 due to a thigh problem.

But asked about the fitness of his entire squad at Thursday's pre-match press conference, Dalglish said: "We're hopeful most of them will be fit. We don't really know because it's Thursday morning - a wee bit away from the game.

"Obviously Martin Kelly won't play with a hamstring strain and Jonjo Shelvey won't be available either. Everybody else's fitness is more positive than that. Who we have and what we go with we won't know yet - and that includes Andy Carroll.

"Andy's training was always progressing but it hasn't progressed into a game yet.

"We've said all along that we've been delighted with his progress and there hasn't been anything he's done that hasn't been encouraging.

"Whether he's involved on Sunday or not - I'm sure Fergie would love to know but we don't know.

"He might not even be a substitute - he might be going to see Boyzone!"

On the disappointment of losing Kelly for a month to a hamstring injury sustained against West Ham last Sunday, the Liverpool manager added: "He's been doing really well and to pull up with a hamstring injury will be hurtful for him, especially when he'd had a couple of games rested."

[quote author=Cerberus link=topic=43933.msg1293969#msg1293969 date=1299148918]
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-on-andy-carroll-fitness?

Kenny Dalglish remained tight-lipped on whether Andy Carroll could be fit to make his Liverpool debut against Manchester United on Sunday.

The Reds hope to secure a third successive Anfield victory over their north-west rivals - and their chances would only be enhanced by the presence of record signing Carroll.

The 22-year-old last played in Newcastle United's 2-0 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur on December 28 due to a thigh problem.

But asked about the fitness of his entire squad at Thursday's pre-match press conference, Dalglish said: "We're hopeful most of them will be fit. We don't really know because it's Thursday morning - a wee bit away from the game.

"Obviously Martin Kelly won't play with a hamstring strain and Jonjo Shelvey won't be available either. Everybody else's fitness is more positive than that. Who we have and what we go with we won't know yet - and that includes Andy Carroll.

"Andy's training was always progressing but it hasn't progressed into a game yet.

"We've said all along that we've been delighted with his progress and there hasn't been anything he's done that hasn't been encouraging.

"Whether he's involved on Sunday or not - I'm sure Fergie would love to know but we don't know.

"He might not even be a substitute - he might be going to see Boyzone!"

On the disappointment of losing Kelly for a month to a hamstring injury sustained against West Ham last Sunday, the Liverpool manager added: "He's been doing really well and to pull up with a hamstring injury will be hurtful for him, especially when he'd had a couple of games rested."
[/quote]

It warms my heart the way KD refers to Ginsoak as "Fergie". Sir Who?

Those honey badgers are something else. I read a story once about a honey badger which was drinking at a water-hole in Africa when the local elephants came down for a sip. All other animals, even lions, make way when the elephants arrive, but not this honey badger, so one of the elephants pushed it aside with its foot and the honey badger went for it. They're the Mascheranos of the animal kingdom.

I reckon a Honey Badger lives In Carroll's ponytail. Whispering evil in his ear on a friday night.

"Got to the bar and get pissed so I can chat up some women you cunt"

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=43933.msg1294028#msg1294028 date=1299153505]
It warms my heart the way KD refers to Ginsoak as "Fergie". Sir Who?
[/quote]

Kenny refutes Fergie issue

Anfield boss has no problems with Red Devils legend

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish insists he has no problem with Manchester United counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson ahead of this Sunday's mouth-watering clash.
The illustrious pair have known each other since the 1960s, and even played against one another when Ferguson was with Rangers and Dalglish was an 18-year-old upstart in Celtic's reserves.

The duo continued their rivalry into management in the 80s with Ferguson keen to knock Liverpool off their lofty perch, although he was unable to do so while Dalglish was in charge of the Reds.

United have dominated the domestic scene over the past two decades, but Dalglish, who lost an FA Cup tie at Old Trafford on his return to the hot seat in January, insists he has no problem with Ferguson.

"It's never been any different. If you read my book it'll tell you!" he joked on the club's official website.

"I've never had a problem with Fergie. I've got respect for the job he has done as a manager. I've never had a problem.

"I've known him for a long, long time. It must be 40 years or so since I first came across him. I don't have a problem."

Asked if he will share a bottle of red wine with the United boss to mark his 60th birthday, Dalglish joked: "Well, it's my birthday! He'll have what everybody else gets

So what did you guys think of Carroll's brief debut?

It was ace how he dominated their centre backs in a header seconds after coming on. Overall not really enough time to judge but I liked what I saw bearing in mind how he must lack match fitness and sharpness. His headed cut back to Kuyt was what we'll probably see a lot and I felt he could well have scored had Suarez passed to him instead of shooting at one point. I want to see a lot more of him.

[quote author=Akakabooto link=topic=43933.msg1293499#msg1293499 date=1299070629]
[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=43933.msg1293487#msg1293487 date=1299069960]

It constantly astonishes me that they can produce a performance like that with the midfield they've got. It looks like the midfield of a mid table or even bottom end table side yet they played Chelsea off the park for more than an hour. Every time it happens I resolve to give their midfield more respect but then I look at them indiviually again and think "nope, they're seriously not that good" - yet they're on top of the league and probably going through to the last 8 of the best teams in Europe.

[/quote]

Part of the reason is they've always had excellent centre backs behind that midfield which makes their job a lot easier. Rio and Vidic when fit and on form is perhaps the best CB pair in the world and it's the foundation for their success.
[/quote]

This was proved right yesterday imo, their midfield was abysmal without Vidic behind them. Also an indicator on how our overall play would improve if we signed a top CB in the summer.

It's hard to really say anything eitherway as he didn't get involved too much, however on the occasions he did he looked sharp.

Inwas also impressed with how he had only den on the pitch 10 seconds before bossing brown and snapping and winning a header from 10 yards out that went straight at vds.

If he does prove to be half decent then we've got the basis of an ace attacking force for next season.

Carroll, Suarez, gerrard, Ming, kuyt.

Throw in one or two half decent wide men and we are laughing.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6800082,00.html

Carroll reveals debut delight
Liverpool striker 'over the moon' after Anfield cameo

Andy Carroll is looking forward to the next game after making a short debut appearance for Liverpool against Manchester United.

The Anfield faithful have had to wait for a first glimpse of the striker they signed from Newcastle on transfer deadline day for a club-record £35million fee.

But having recovered from the thigh injury that has kept him sidelined for two months, Carroll came off the substitutes' bench for the final 16 minutes of Sunday's 3-1 victory over the Red Devils.

He admits it was a special occasion and is now eager to make up for lost time by featuring in the Europa League clash with Braga on Thursday.

"It was great to get out there and the result made it even better," said the England international.

"I was on the bench and itching to get on right from the kick-off really but I've started now and can't wait for the next game.

"When I was running back (after being called for a substitution by Kenny Dalglish) all the fans were shouting and screaming and so I got a little bit excited.

"I was over the moon to get on there and get back playing."

Carroll also paid tribute to the reception he was given by fans as he finally made his Reds bow.

He told the club's official website: "The support was unbelievable for me. The fans have been great since I signed and even when I was warming up, they were fantastic.

"It was an incredible atmosphere, definitely one of the best I've ever experienced."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom