• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are We Buying Too Many Players ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the article tells us other than we waste loads of money.

Having to buy lots of players is bad because it indicates your squad is weak. But buying lots of players probably isn't the reason we perform poorly.

If that was true, then surely the opposite would have to be true - that if we bought nobody we'd get better.

What I do think is correct though is that the way to build a squad is in the manner Wenger does, he spends years building his squad with transfers that aren't going to pay off immediately, then starts adding real quality when those players are blossoming.

There's also a lot to be said about the way Swansea and Southampton go about their business.

This. The lack of vision at the top, no identity in terms of style of football, type of players, and poor appointments at the recruitment levels has cost us significantly. We have been purely reactionary, splashing money around hoping that one or two players among them would become world class and keep us at the top. And we have been very very lucky to see talents of the level of Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, Carragher to come through our youth systems. I highly doubt we will have that luxury in the next 10-15 years.

One thing which I thought we did well is targeting highly talented English players in the age range of 14-18 under Borrell. I hope we are continuing that strategy.

On a related note, an article from Empire of the Kop:

Since the 2009/10 season, Liverpool have sanctioned 111 SEPARATE LOAN DEALS. That’s 111 finalised temporary deals out of the club, some of which were players leaving multiple times – for example, Danny Wilson left on loan on three occasions.
These 111 deals include 91 separate players.

Of these 91 players who’ve left Liverpool on loan over the past six campaigns (including this one that’s just started),JUST ONE IS A REGULAR, CURRENT FIRST-TEAM PLAYER. Jordon Ibe. The 19-year-old spent time with Birmingham and Derby before establishing himself in our squad.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/...s-a-myth-and-a-total-waste-of-time-and-money/

While I dont agree with some of the authors analysis, it does reveal the lack of vision and strategy in our purchasing.

Pretty much, we've been saying for years that we need to get to a position where we could do what United were doing. Adding one or two top players each year. The last time we were really in that position, was the year we came second under Rafa and his big additions did Jack shit to contribute (Keane, etc).

We are currently in pool 2 for buying players as we have no CL to offer and not being London based is a problem too, in which case I think we play the percentage game and buy a load of these players and kids in the hope we end up with a pool 1 player now and then- it worked with Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling. You also have a load of dross you need to move on and avoid as much depreciation as you can.

I think we are panic signing and it reminds me of Spurs at their worst. And that sadly, is where Liverpool appear to be at right now,.

We need a top class manager. Give him time to build up the club from top to bottom. Rodgers, Dalglish and Hodgson isn't top class. We need a top class manager with a clear vision and strategy. We also need a top class football director.

I don't have time to read the article at the moment but to answer the question posed in the thread title - no, not necessarily.

We are just stupid with the money that we have. It does feel like we're cursed somewhat because it doesn't seem to matter who is in charge at any level, we can't quite get it together. We come close and get all hopeful but then shoot ourselves in the foot.

Robbie Keane is a prime example. We've finally got the respect of Europe, a clutch of world class players in their prime and 20M burning a hole in our pocket. Who do we decide to buy to complete our team? Robbie fucking Keane. And then immediately realize that we don't want him.

Maddening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom