• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aspen cilla A 13 may (8.pm)

Slutty will most likely change us to a double pivot next season in midfield. 4-2-3-1.
Still need a new top notch midfielder to be signed though.

Should have just ran Endo into the ground. There's fuck all football left.

The way we through that away was irritating and demonstrates why we're no higher than third.

I did enjoy our patterns of play in the first half. Elliott and Gakpo both make us more slick, but I agree with Fark, we were wide open throughout the game. 1-3 was massively flattering the performance

To be honest - when Jurgen has no league title to go for and be serious - the football turns to basketball like it did - it is pure Jurgen Footy.

To be honest - when Jurgen has no league title to go for and be serious - the football turns to basketball like it did - it is pure Jurgen Footy.

Nah, Jurgen likes good football. It turns into that when people aren't consistently pressing properly, and they are dull as shit on the ball and lose it.

Remember when people said our defence wasn’t the problem.
Ah yes, the wise man Stevie blaming the attack for everything. Who could forget.

I'd throw in the midfield too, not as severe as the defence but we've played about 5 games max where we've controlled a game from start to finish......and quelle surprise only 1 of them have come away.

You can't have midfielders who only turn up for 1/3 of the season and pick what games they wanna perform in. Szobo, Mac, Jones all guilty and this is supposedly our best midfield 3.

Last edited:
Nah, Jurgen likes good football. It turns into that when people aren't consistently pressing properly, and they are dull as shit on the ball and lose it.
True, but is that not the result of tiredness due to all that pressing ?- I think it is. Also I know this is harsh, but I think Mac10 has that mistake in him in nearly every game which is why I don't like him being played so deep. I wish he had taken him off and left Endo on.

Just watched the highlights after missing the game and it was more about VAR than football. Shit

Ah yes, the wise man Stevie blaming the attack for everything. Who could forget.

I'd throw in the midfield too, not as severe as the defence but we've played about 5 games max where we've controlled a game from start to finish......and quelle surprise only 1 of them have come away.

You can't have midfielders who only turn up for 1/3 of the season and pick what games they wanna perform in. Szobo, Mac, Jones all guilty and this is supposedly our best midfield 3.

No your right the defence is the problem - the defence that includes your “Player of the Season” Virgil - that defence.

The defensive problems are more systemic due to way we play. They forwards are just erratic at finishing.

Klopp has always played like that - it’s just we used to have better and more clinical forwards.

But sure… allign yourself with the man that gets absolutely everything wrong. Happy for ya.

No your right the defence is the problem - the defence that includes your “Player of the Season” Virgil - that defence.

The defensive problems are more systemic due to way we play. They forwards are just erratic at finishing.

Klopp has always played like that - it’s just we used to have better and more clinical forwards.

But sure… allign yourself with the man that gets absolutely everything wrong. Happy for ya.

Absolutely true on the defence comment, individually our defenders are very good, but it's the system that lets us down - especially when we lose the ball in midfield, other teams prepare to overload us.

Shows how fucking useless the others beside him in that back line are then doesn’t it. When Virgil goes we’ll be back to finishing behind Spurs and West Ham.

Thank fuck from next season onwards we
can go back to having some stability and balance in our game, building from the back like proper teams do and not always looking for a last min goal to win it 3-2/4-3.

Shows how fucking useless the others beside him in that back line are then doesn’t it. When Virgil goes we’ll be back to finishing behind Spurs and West Ham.

Thank fuck from next season onwards we
can go back to having some stability and balance in our game, building from the back like proper teams do and not always looking for a last min goal to win it 3-2/4-3.

That’s the whole point of a systemic problem - it’s not the components.

Anyway - it was an end of season dead rubber and we conceded two late goals - stop being a hysterical fanny.

I haven’t watched it - but wasn’t Virgil at fault for one of the goals?

One of the late goals was Mac Allister's fault - poor man forced into that position. The other was a weird deflection off Duran's dong.

Seriously I wouldn't cry for yesterday. It was an ordinary defence, but we'll learn to survive.

One of the late goals was Mac Allister's fault - poor man forced into that position. The other was a weird deflection off Duran's dong.

Seriously I wouldn't cry for yesterday. It was an ordinary defence, but we'll learn to survive.
I would have sympathy for Mac but he's had previous on the same issue - Brighton away comes to mind.

We also used to have better defenders too.

Are you sure the sky hasn’t fallen, the seventh circle of hell hasn’t been reached and the apocalypse isn’t upon us????

Are you sure we’re not doomed and definitely getting relegated imminently?

Asking for a friend that lives in a wardrobe.

Like who?

Who are these better defenders we used to have but now no longer have?
That Virgil was better than this Virgil. That's about it.

What we had then that we no longer have now was a forward line that terrorized every team they played and a midfield that suffocated most of their direct opponents. Our defense wasn't much better back then, it was simply very rarely tested. And we usually scored goals for fun.

We're just not allowed to say that Mo has been poor... You know that.

Way back when we won all the shiny things we could leave Virgil on his own against the lone opposition in our half. That’s because we just absolutely suffocated the opposition across the rest of the pitch. We no longer do that which makes the opposition braver and push more players higher up the pitch. Yet we still leave ourselves open at the back and get punished.

View: https://youtu.be/fPS3sxQBJMQ?si=XBWogjEkNfAI3wJH

I like this journalist’s analysis: he’s always pretty level-headed and objective. Agree with his main point about needing more control next season.

Did he expect control in a game were we have nothing to play for and the opposition are fighting for a CL spot?
As Klopp said this game could have gone anywhere for us. When you drop down a few percentages at this level its shows.

I thought we played pretty well for the majority of the game all things considering.
Lost our way in midfield without Endo and they scored two fluke goals.

Wasn't Endo subbed?
I honestly believe Klopp wouldn't have made those subs if the title was on the line.
Yeah I tend to think he's just trying to keep everyone involved in the last couple of matches. Not that that should affect performance.

Third in the league, league cup winners, QFs of FA and EL cups

Quite a tidy season I’d say given it was transitional and we had a real injury problem December/january.

I think you’re being harsh

Agreed, I think for large parts of the season we overpromised and ultimately underachieved leading to the anticlimax that has characterized the final few weeks of the season.

If you consider the season starting as a 'transitional' season then we have definitely progressed and Klopp and his team have left a solid foundation for the new coach. With the new senior management in place we should be well set.

Third in the league, league cup winners, QFs of FA and EL cups

Quite a tidy season I’d say given it was transitional and we had a real injury problem December/january.

I think you’re being harsh
I’m always harsh, but I was redirecting the question back to Binomial.

We do have contenders for our best player of the season, but there’s no outstanding candidate. I think every player has had peaks and troughs.

It has been a tidy season and had you tried to sell me that at the start of the season I may have taken it. However, the reality is we were in a great place and let ourselves down by not doing some of the basic things right like slotting the ball in the net at key moments. That’s not a complete dig at Nunez, but all our forwards and even Trent/Jones had chances to swing things mightily in our favour. We also kept repeating the same mistakes, like their first goal feels like I’ve seen on repeat all bloody season and hasn’t been eradicated. We’ve been our own worst enemy and that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

That Virgil was better than this Virgil. That's about it.

What we had then that we no longer have now was a forward line that terrorized every team they played and a midfield that suffocated most of their direct opponents. Our defense wasn't much better back then, it was simply very rarely tested. And we usually scored goals for fun.

We're just not allowed to say that Mo has been poor... You know that.

Well apparently according to the brain trust - it’s not the forwards that are the problem - they’re all brilliant.

To be fair, I don’t think it’s all MO’s fault - he’s not been at his best, but still been ok and I can forgive him a bit because his numbers always dip in AFCON year and his injury was unfortunate.

There’ll be others that blame inverted full backs and Trent.

Which is also bollocks.

Remember when people said our defence wasn’t the problem.
Defence is the whole team.

From the pressing up top, to the midfielders cutting off lines, to the defenders marking their men.

We need to defend better as a team. As opposed to picking out individuals or just the 5 at the back.

I’m always harsh, but I was redirecting the question back to Binomial.

We do have contenders for our best player of the season, but there’s no outstanding candidate. I think every player has had peaks and troughs.

It has been a tidy season and had you tried to sell me that at the start of the season I may have taken it. However, the reality is we were in a great place and let ourselves down by not doing some of the basic things right like slotting the ball in the net at key moments. That’s not a complete dig at Nunez, but all our forwards and even Trent/Jones had chances to swing things mightily in our favour. We also kept repeating the same mistakes, like their first goal feels like I’ve seen on repeat all bloody season and hasn’t been eradicated. We’ve been our own worst enemy and that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

This is bang on.

We were imperfect and that’s fine. We were, not for the first time, dry close to something sensational, but when it came down to it, despite our best efforts, we were undone by a lack of form or a lack of clinical effort in a couple key moments - Mo, Diaz, Darwin, Trent and CJ come to mind.

We needed someone to hit a rich vein of scoring in the run in.

It didn’t happen.

That is all.

Back
Top Bottom