• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Australian Open

Can someone tell me why in doubles, whether they win or lose the point , they always have to go and slap hands /high five their partners . They all do it , all the fucking time. It's ridiculous , are they all that insecure ?

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=48359.msg1471790#msg1471790 date=1327688950]
[quote author=My_Blood_Bleeds_Red link=topic=48359.msg1471533#msg1471533 date=1327654896]
Rafa's game is sheer power, power and nothing but mega-power.

Roger's game is art, flair and poise all bundled in one. It's like ballet on a tennis court.
[/quote]

The part about Rafa is not entirely true....and you know it.

He is a brilliant baseline player and he has got the full array of shots. He doesn't like to come to the net much....but you make him sound like he is a beef cake with no technique.

Federer is smoother on the court, and he has this ability to look good even when losing....but i can't look past the fact that he hasn't managed to win much when presented with consistent challengers in Nadal or Djokovic.He plays well in ATP games where there are only three sets to play for, but in grand slams there are five sets to go and Nadal and Djokovic have almost always found a way to edge him out.
[/quote]

I'll give you Nadal but Federer has a 14-10 winning record against Djokovic, including a stunning win at Roland Garros last year. He's also 5-3 ahead in wins in Grand Slams.

I like Tennis. No hiding behind a team bullshit....man to man - proper challenge.

It's been a great match so far. Nadal is refusing to give in and Djokovic seems to be tiring - the prospect of playing someone as relentless as Rafa has to be tiring...

Djokovic breaks right back....amazing!

By the way...Djokovic returns as well as anyone i have seen in this sport...may be with Agassi as the exception.

I just wish it would finish, so as I can lock up and go home. :)

i went to hav a nap when Novak went 2-1 up, resigning to the fact that Nadal has lost again...woke up 3 hours later and they're still playing !

Rafa never knows when to lose, does he ? Respect.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=48359.msg1473145#msg1473145 date=1327845185]
I like Tennis. No hiding behind a team bullshit....man to man - proper challenge.

It's been a great match so far. Nadal is refusing to give in and Djokovic seems to be tiring - the prospect of playing someone as relentless as Rafa has to be tiring...
[/quote]

It's very similar to Agassi's. He stands in and takes the ball early in the same way that Agassi used to. The only difference is that Djokovic doesn't have the Sampras serve to contend with.

On a sidenote: this is just an incredible game of tennis.

Rafa has nerves of steel!

I think he is the best ever player when he is a break point down. Calm as you like...

But Djokovic is looking increasingly stronger.

That long rally in the previous game was awesome!

Errors crept into Rafa's game in the last two or three service games. He has been inches wide a couple of times too...

thems the break....but it has been an epic match!

Just brilliant. I thought he'd do it in four, but Rafa's will alone won him that fourth set. Djokovic did superbly to gather himself in that fifth though. He looked out on his feet at the beginning of it.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=48359.msg1473187#msg1473187 date=1327848787]
What energy...late in to the game. They played more than 6 hours!
[/quote]

Got so annoyed at some of the commentary so I'm going to get it off my chest with some comments in here.

1) They didn't play 6 hours; they were on court for just under 6 hours and there was a 15 to 20 minute rain break in there which helped Novak even though commentators were saying it'd help Rafa.

2) Great match but these commentators saying it's the all time great; or Bruce saying "unprecedented; this has never been seen in the history of the sport". Get a grip. Borg / McEnroe in 1980 would still be hard to beat; Wilander / McEnroe in Davis Cup; Federer / Sampras at Wimbledon; Agassi / Sampras at the Aus open semi's; I've probably forgotten a couple with Lendl or Connors or Edberg or Becker etc but all these matches would be in front of this final for sheer quality. The duration of this one and the fact Novak seemed gone at the start of the 5th has made this one special.

3) Rivaly is great these days with Murray taking next level. That said, the rivalry is clearly not that intense in terms of victories; Federer looked unbeatable for several years then Nadal dominated followed by Novak. Compare that to the days of Borg/McEnroe/Connors/Lendl or Wilander/Edberg/Becker/McEnroe/Lendl then Edberg/Becker/Agassi/Sampras and then Sampras/Agassi/Courier/Edberg. The point on all these rivalries was that any one of those players looked capable and did win grandslams each year. With the exception of Wilander back in about '88 I don't think anyone won 3 slams in a year. Now we've had each of the current top 3 win 3 slams out of 4. They're great players but one has been clearly dominant at a time.

4) Federer is still the best player, IMO, on the tour but his perfect game runs into a problem with Rafa; he's worked out the flattening of the forehand to get him out of court but his classically produced backhand is produced all wrong to simply hit flat through the ball. This is why he's not managing to beat Rafa and probably can't ....... from the back of the court. He needs to go back to Roche (or someone) and take his net game up a level to do it. Rafa is as tenacious as you'll see and the new racquet to add some much needed sting to his shots will help him but this was his greatest possible chance to beat Novak and he couldn't manage it. Djokovic I'm still undecided on; his backhand is an amazing weapon and he serves well but his forhand looks suspect and his net craft is pathetic. Never seen anyone hit their returns so deep so consistently though and that makes it almost impossible to hold serve from the baseline. This year should decide if he's a legend or not.

5) Best return of serve ever; has to be a Swede - Borg, Nystrom, Jarryd; incredible - but I'd have to give it to Wilander. They were up against players like Roscoe Tanner (for Borg) and McEnroe; Kevin Curren, Becker, Noah, Sampras etc. Agassi was a bit of a freak; he seemed to have some ability to see the future to know where the ball was going - like a young jedi knight or something. That said, while his returns were out of this world they were more regard power to counter a baseliner as opposed to a serve - volleyer. He couldn't quite bet the ball down to the feet as with Wilander which is why he had such trouble with Sampras.

I feel better now.

Rod Laver was asked to do a series of articles on the greatest ever players during the tournament; tough for him since he didn't put himself forward despite many believing he's the greatest ever. That said, what would you give to see Borg, McEnroe, Edberg, Wilander, Becker Sampras, Agassi, Federer, Nadal and Novak in a tournament playing at their best? The surface at the Aus Open would probably provide the best compromise too - maybe the US Open. You could probably argue for a couple of others but that group were either outstanding in their time or showed they would have been if not for external circumstances.

1&2) I was just born when Borg retired. So i don't know much about the great games played then. But this is definitely one of the best finals i have ever seen. That doesn't mean there weren't better finals or better games. In terms of pure enjoyment this doesn't even beat the Federer vs Safin Semi-final game for me. Some of the winners in that game had me screaming "fuck me"....but anyway i was merely commenting on the energy level exhibited by the two at the end of a long game (was it 6 hours long or slightly less than 6 hours long is semantics.) These two are probably the finest athletes amongst all the players you mentioned and that perhaps is a reason why they were able to play with such intensity.

3) Firstly, players dominating in top form is not specific to this era. You mentioned Courier whose entire career was like that of a comet. Players usually won in clusters. But in previous era players had what they considered "their surface". So even if they won in clusters, they monotony was broken by other players doing well in other surfaces. Sampras liked the grass and he won a few wimbledon's consecutively. Agassi played better in the hard courts etc.., but that's not the case anymore these guys have enough in their game to overcome their biggest adversaries in different surfaces. That is the reason we have two players playing who have a career grand slam. Secondly, you also seem to have written off Nadal in saying he has lost his best ever chance. There is nothing to suggest that he can't have a dominating year again.

4) I don't think Federer would have found it any easier to play Novak either.

5) I don't have much opinion on this. I think Agassi is the best i have seen....I consider two things in saying that. First, Agassi had to play with increasing serve speeds. Pros admit that the serve speed drastically increased in the 90s, moving the game along. Second it's difficult to return well against an excellent serve and volleyer. Even Wilander struggled against Pat Cash, who was a hard hitting serve and volleyer. So i wouldn't read too much in to Sampras's domination over Agassi in head to heads when looking at this aspect of Agassi's game.

I'd defi love to see some of the best Serve and Volleyers to play alongside the players of this era...McEnroe, Cash (didn't really see much of these two), Becker, Edberg, Stich, Rafter...of course Sampras...

That comment of best return of serve ever was fucking ridiculous even to me & I'm only 30 ffs. God
Knows how many players I didn't see.

Tennis commentary has been doing this for a while though, every sport seems to think sky's approach of sensationalism combined with revisionism is the way forward, when it fact it simply serves to undermine it a little by taking away its history.

I think tennis & F1 were the last bastions of sports using their history as a facet, tennis has been moving away from it, Wimbledon excluded, & F1 will be for sure when sky get their mitts on it next season.

[quote author='Dave' link=topic=48359.msg1475548#msg1475548 date=1328107100]
Snooker does Jon. I think it does anyway.
[/quote]

This might start up another debate but to quote John McEnroe;

"I think to be considered a sport there has to be a requirement to run at some point".

Naturally this would raise the hackles of our surfers and golfers out there. That said, for me, it's not a bad effort for a criteria ........ and definitely excludes snooker I'm afraid Dave.

Back
Top Bottom