• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Back in the Day... Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

The Prophet
So, back to 1991 for the classic FA Cup clash with the bitters that ended 4-4.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt616hEtp38

The main point for discussion from me being...

I've always believed Grobbelaar threw games. The goals from that Newcastle game when Andy Cole got a hat-trick where a disgrace, plus there's something about Grobbelaar that doesn't quite fit for me. He was always fucking weird.

Anyway, anyone think the 4 he conceded here are just a little bit dodgy? The first one is fucking pathetic, he practically throws it in. Every other one he concedes is debatable, but there's something about the way he's continually jumping backwards and landing on his arse nowhere near the ball that gets me. Of course he follows it up with the faux indignation at the defence.

Maybe it's just me. I always thought he was a cheat.

Your thoughts?

Oh, and John Barnes was a fucking hero.

Awhhh I was hoping this would CL 05 and was it really a goal?

Bruce looks a cheat anytime I watch any old footage however you'd imagine he would have been found out if he did cheat.

Barnes was a hero except when he didn't take the ball into the corner against Arsenal.

I don't get how Beardo was so criminally underused and then shipped out ...Such a player.

I'd hardly say he was "underused". He played just about every game for the 5 years he was with us.

Sure he was shipped out early, but when he was with us he was used mate.

I'd hardly say he was "underused". He played just about every game for the 5 years he was with us.

Sure he was shipped out early, but when he was with us he was used mate.

Based on the commentary at the beginning, he wasn't in '91 ... He really should have been a part of the spine for most of the 90s. But we know what they say about hindsight

My main thought when watching that was the quality of the team had started to decline long before Souness took over, most of the team were past their peak at that point and players like Burrows Venison and Ablett were not as good as the players we had before them.

I went to this match and had tickets in the top tier of their main stand (the three tier stand). Had never been in there before so when I got up there I nearly shat myself - the rows are really steep and high up, so vertigo sets in quickly. I thought the seats should have car safety belts fitted.

I made it to my seat and sat there, knees knocking, hoping for a dull 0-0 draw so I didn't have to jump up & down too much ...

I went to this match and had tickets in the top tier of their main stand (the three tier stand). Had never been in there before so when I got up there I nearly shat myself - the rows are really steep and high up, so vertigo sets in quickly. I thought the seats should have car safety belts fitted.

I made it to my seat and sat there, knees knocking, hoping for a dull 0-0 draw so I didn't have to jump up & down too much ...

Hahahahaha !

Grobs could be a bit erratic, he was still a great keeper though but he was clearly on the wain by then. He did have that habit though of doing what Ryan said, making those pointless dives backwards to make it look good, instead of just trying to save the bloody thing!

Nearly equally disgusting to me is how David Burrows is mentioned in the same sentence as Steve McMahon at the start of the commentary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom