• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barcelona Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStar

Well-Known
I read this story and thought its either total bullshit, most likely, or a very clever piece of business. Other outlets reporting that they have a 3 year moratorium on signing our players, and this applies only during that period.

From the Telegraph

Liverpool agreed an extraordinary deal with Barcelona to limit the Spanish club’s capacity to sign any more Anfield stars until 2020.

Details have emerged of the preventative measures taken when Liverpool reluctantly sanctioned the sale of Philippe Coutinho to Barca for £142 million last January.

During negotiations, Anfield sporting director Michael Edwards insisted on a £100 million premium on top of any transfer fee if Barcelona try to lure any more Liverpool players in the next few years.

It means if Barca ever moved for Mohamed Salah – whose current market value would conservatively value him at £150 million – the price for Barcelona would be £239 million.

The deal is a reflection of Liverpool’s distaste with how the pursuit of Coutinho progressed in the six months prior to the Brazilian’s departure. Edwards’ hard-line stance forced the La Liga club’s hand as they desperately sought to conclude a deal, with Coutinho also pushing for a move.

The process in the months leading to the transfer were not amicable, Liverpool earlier writing to Barcelona in the summer of 2017 warning them not to make further bids and threatening to report their European rivals to Fifa for an alleged illegal approach.

Coutinho did not play for Liverpool while the transfer window was open, citing a ‘bad back’.

Barcelona’s shirt sponsors – Nike – further riled Liverpool by announcing Coutinho’s arrival weeks before it was formally agreed.

Matters were finally resolved when Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp decided to grant Coutinho his wish, but only on the club’s terms – which when ultimately agreed by Edwards have proven to be more beneficial than originally thought.

The terms should ensure Barcelona’s scouts have little need to travel to Anfield for the next two years. They had earlier recruited Luis Suarez from the Merseysiders.

Barcelona have most recently been linked with a move for Sadio Mane, who unlike Salah and Roberto Firmino is yet to pen a new contract at Anfield despite ongoing talks. It is highly unlikely any Liverpool players will be following Coutinho to the Nou Camp in the near future.

I read this story and thought its either total bullshit, most likely, or a very clever piece of business. Other outlets reporting that they have a 3 year moratorium on signing our players, and this applies only during that period.

From the Telegraph

Liverpool agreed an extraordinary deal with Barcelona to limit the Spanish club’s capacity to sign any more Anfield stars until 2020.

Details have emerged of the preventative measures taken when Liverpool reluctantly sanctioned the sale of Philippe Coutinho to Barca for £142 million last January.

During negotiations, Anfield sporting director Michael Edwards insisted on a £100 million premium on top of any transfer fee if Barcelona try to lure any more Liverpool players in the next few years.

It means if Barca ever moved for Mohamed Salah – whose current market value would conservatively value him at £150 million – the price for Barcelona would be £239 million.

The deal is a reflection of Liverpool’s distaste with how the pursuit of Coutinho progressed in the six months prior to the Brazilian’s departure. Edwards’ hard-line stance forced the La Liga club’s hand as they desperately sought to conclude a deal, with Coutinho also pushing for a move.

The process in the months leading to the transfer were not amicable, Liverpool earlier writing to Barcelona in the summer of 2017 warning them not to make further bids and threatening to report their European rivals to Fifa for an alleged illegal approach.

Coutinho did not play for Liverpool while the transfer window was open, citing a ‘bad back’.

Barcelona’s shirt sponsors – Nike – further riled Liverpool by announcing Coutinho’s arrival weeks before it was formally agreed.

Matters were finally resolved when Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp decided to grant Coutinho his wish, but only on the club’s terms – which when ultimately agreed by Edwards have proven to be more beneficial than originally thought.

The terms should ensure Barcelona’s scouts have little need to travel to Anfield for the next two years. They had earlier recruited Luis Suarez from the Merseysiders.

Barcelona have most recently been linked with a move for Sadio Mane, who unlike Salah and Roberto Firmino is yet to pen a new contract at Anfield despite ongoing talks. It is highly unlikely any Liverpool players will be following Coutinho to the Nou Camp in the near future.
I'm no maths genius, but i even know £150m + £100m is not £239m.

So if Emre Can had decided to go to Barca, would we have gotten €100m.

It's a strange clause and i wonder how enforceable it is.

It just means if Salah leaves in the summer it's for Madrid or PSG. By the next summer Barca are back in play.

I wonder whether a player would take issue with it. Let's say Mane has agreed in his contract a 100m release fee.

If Barca meet that fee, the Barca tax clause unilaterally changes that release fee. Doesn't Mane have a grievance then if he wanta to go ?

I wonder whether a player would take issue with it. Let's say Mane has agreed in his contract a 100m release fee.

If Barca meet that fee, the Barca tax clause unilaterally changes that release fee. Doesn't Mane have a grievance then if he wanta to go ?

Im sure hed be pissed about it but it would make very little sense for Barca to negotiate with one of our players knowing that this additional payment would be required should an agreement with the player be reached. Ive never heard of anything like this before but I think its funny if true and wouldnt be surprised to see more clubs use something similar.

Think how much Southampton could have made if theyd done this to us.

I think we could have bought the club for less than we paid for its players.

So if Emre Can had decided to go to Barca, would we have gotten €100m.

It's a strange clause and i wonder how enforceable it is.

I don't get it at all. It does mean one less club interested/ capable of buying a player who wants to leave. Is that it? Vague protection?

I said in another thread that it just feels a bit silly, petty and punitive and I don't understand why the Echo and social media cunts are all lolling about it and claiming Edwards got one over on Barca. How, exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom