• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brewster's possible millions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously this is shit for us if we lose Brewster, but for this is a great thing for English football surely. Too many English players between 18-21 years old stagnate and die in limbo between academy and first team football, them going abroad and walking straight into the first team of a competitive league is surely a good thing?

Obviously this is shit for us if we lose Brewster, but for this is a great thing for English football surely. Too many English players between 18-21 years old stagnate and die in limbo between academy and first team football, them going abroad and walking straight into the first team of a competitive league is surely a good thing?

Agree with this. And it's also good to see young English players moving abroad.

If its true that Klopp sees Brewster as a first teamer next season, I'll be surprised if he leaves.
Weird reading that his family wants him to stay at Liverpool but his agent wants a move for him.

If its true that Klopp sees Brewster as a first teamer next season, I'll be surprised if he leaves.
Weird reading that his family wants him to stay at Liverpool but his agent wants a move for him.
That’s not weird at all mate.

No it's fucking awful

It might result in England not being shit internationally

That's a worry for me

It could be, but then so could going out on loan in this country. The reality, however, is pretty much the same there as it is here: the players go, and don't often play, and the manager who expressed huge enthusiasm to get them then pretty much blanks them. It happened to Kent at Freiberg, and it shattered his confidence. It's a hard situation in England, but when you're a kid abroad and you can''t even speak the language, it can be devastating. Obviously the simple response to this is to say that a loan spell 'finds them out' wherever they happen to go, but that really is too simplistic. Some managers really scout a player, know their strengths, want to coach them and know exactly how they'll use them, but those managers, alas, appear to be in a minority. Too many seem to just rely on a very vague idea, sometimes second hand, about a young player's ability and style of play, figure out that he'll be one more (cheap) option, sort out a loan and then like a child who's grown bored with the toy they got last week, they freeze the player out. The hazards are as great in Germany as in Bristol or London or Bolton, but the impact on the player that's had his progress abruptly halted can be worse abroad. It's not the bright and uncomplicatedly positive trend some might suppose.

You’ve misread my post or missed one of the key points.

I don’t think a loan to a lesser team works, because their is no incentive for the club that takes a player in loan to develop the player - hence they often don’t play as much.

Signing for a team that has a model based on giving young players playing time to develop them into highly profitable assets is different.

Any striker at Liverpool is likely to have limited playing time given our front 3.

How about a loan to Rangers? Gerrard will need all the talent he can get and knows the lads potential, so will be more likely to trust him. And, that league would certainly toughen him up enough to be ready for Premiere League.

It could be, but then so could going out on loan in this country. The reality, however, is pretty much the same there as it is here: the players go, and don't often play, and the manager who expressed huge enthusiasm to get them then pretty much blanks them. It happened to Kent at Freiberg, and it shattered his confidence. It's a hard situation in England, but when you're a kid abroad and you can''t even speak the language, it can be devastating. Obviously the simple response to this is to say that a loan spell 'finds them out' wherever they happen to go, but that really is too simplistic. Some managers really scout a player, know their strengths, want to coach them and know exactly how they'll use them, but those managers, alas, appear to be in a minority. Too many seem to just rely on a very vague idea, sometimes second hand, about a young player's ability and style of play, figure out that he'll be one more (cheap) option, sort out a loan and then like a child who's grown bored with the toy they got last week, they freeze the player out. The hazards are as great in Germany as in Bristol or London or Bolton, but the impact on the player that's had his progress abruptly halted can be worse abroad. It's not the bright and uncomplicatedly positive trend some might suppose.

Surely this can be mitigated by inserting clauses in the loan deal that protect the player, e.g. min number of minutes.

Surely this can be mitigated by inserting clauses in the loan deal that protect the player, e.g. min number of minutes.

It can be in terms of curtailing the loan but not quickly enough to save a player from being wrecked.

An example: Ryan Kent was a really excellent prospect - he was lightning fast, tricky, could cross well, had a powerful shot, and in that sense represented (in retrospect of course) a good bit of youthful cover for Oxlaide-Chamberlain. He went out on loan to Barnsley and was brilliant - scoring some fine goals, lots of assists, and won the young player of the year award.

He returned to LFC, who gave him a new contract and sent him on loan to Freiberg as Klopp thought it would be a good place to further his development. The relevant clauses were inserted in the contract, Kent went there, the manager showed zero enthusiasm for him and after six appearances LFC called him back, and Inglethorpe and others were alarmed at how low he seemed - all of his confidence had gone.

So it was decided to send him off to another Barnsley-like team to recover. He went to Bristol City, same clauses again. The manager claimed he was a big fan. But he didn't suit the system, the fans (upon learning that he had to play a certain number of games) resented him and booed him, and his confidence remained at rock bottom. LFC again called him back early.

I still believe in his potential, but my god he's been destroyed in the past year.

Of course he needed to fight through it himself, but young players aren't robots, they can be good AND lose confidence. We've seen senior players suffer similarly, let alone kids.

And when you're off to Germany, while the agent pats himself on the back in Blighty, some 18 or 19 year old kid is stuck in a bedsit, alone, unable to speak the language and feeling an utter failure. That'll happen far too often. There's a major lack of care and concern among these agents who've started obsessing about this market.

So it was decided to send him off to another Barnsley-like team to recover. He went to Bristol City, same clauses again. The manager claimed he was a big fan. But he didn't suit the system, the fans (upon learning that he had to play a certain number of games) resented him and booed him, and his confidence remained at rock bottom. LFC again called him back early.

I still believe in his potential, but my god he's been destroyed in the past year.

How have these loans affected his confidence? Not being picked? This obviously happens all the time to loads of players, loaned or not.

Or is it more to do with his confidence in the club picking the right club for him? Because that clearly needs to be addressed.

How have these loans affected his confidence? Not being picked? This obviously happens all the time to loads of players, loaned or not.

Or is it more to do with his confidence in the club picking the right club for him? Because that clearly needs to be addressed.

At Barnsley he thrived, because the manager had identified where and how he wanted him to play in the team. It was a model loan deal for both sides. At Freiberg, the coach couldn't communicate with him (well, duh) and pretty much gave up immediately. At Bristol it was infuriating: the manager raved about him before he came, then he played him out of position and then dropped him. When LFC called him back the manager made all kind of weird claims that he still loved the player, expected him to acquire a huge price tag for his age, blah blah blah: '"Ryan hasn’t done it to how we would have hoped in our team for whatever reason. But Ryan, let me tell you, is a great player. If you told me he was coming through our academy as a 20 year-old, I’d tell you he was going to be a £10m player in the next few years'. Which begged the question: why did you get him in the first place????? Bristol will be fined £300,000 by us and they damn well deserve it.

For those who haven't seen Ryan Kent this gives a few glimpses. He's worth encouragement now I think, there's a proper player there with pace and power who'd suit Klopp's team very well.

At Barnsley he thrived, because the manager had identified where and how he wanted him to play in the team. It was a model loan deal for both sides. At Freiberg, the coach couldn't communicate with him (well, duh) and pretty much gave up immediately. At Bristol it was infuriating: the manager raved about him before he came, then he played him out of position and then dropped him. When LFC called him back the manager made all kind of weird claims that he still loved the player, expected him to acquire a huge price tag for his age, blah blah blah: '"Ryan hasn’t done it to how we would have hoped in our team for whatever reason. But Ryan, let me tell you, is a great player. If you told me he was coming through our academy as a 20 year-old, I’d tell you he was going to be a £10m player in the next few years'. Which begged the question: why did you get him in the first place????? Bristol will be fined £300,000 by us and they damn well deserve it.

Not great, but does he have a fragile confidence to start with? Not being picked just seems a general pitfall of chasing a career in football. Most won't make it and, of the ones that do, plenty will encounter setbacks like this.

He's almost 22. If we have no plans for him next season, we should just sell him.

Not great, but does he have a fragile confidence to start with?

No, he was much like TAA. Positive, cheerful, full of ambition. Him and Harry Wilson looked great as young attacking wide players. Wilson had a great loan move, Kent didn't.

I've not heard anything, but I did wonder whether jealousy might have played a role. I remember when Neil Mellor went on loan to West Ham and the players there wouldn't even pass to him if they could help it, they quite blatantly froze him out. Sometimes a young kid coming in from a big club, with a loan deal that forces the club to play him, can really piss off the rest of the squad. Something the City manager said at the end of the loan deal did make me think along those lines: “The squad understands each other and has cohesion with each other, its not always easy to break into that scenario". That did sound a bit like a coded message that he'd been left on the periphery. But maybe that's me reading too much into it.

No, he was much like TAA. Positive, cheerful, full of ambition. Him and Harry Wilson looked great as young attacking wide players. Wilson had a great loan move, Kent didn't.

He's probably going to face more rejection in his career.

Pick yourself up, Ryan, dust yourself down, and go again.

Hope he makes it.

Mönchengladbach continue with their recent move into the English market, signing Tottenham's England youth international Keanan Bennetts on a four-year deal. That said, he has a German mum.

It's a shame, because obviously the friendly was set up because of a bond between supporters of the clubs who take alternate trips every year. This is a friendly club to LFC. But yes, we should indicate we expect them to treat a friend accordingly.

It's a shame, because obviously the friendly was set up because of a bond between supporters of the clubs who take alternate trips every year. This is a friendly club to LFC. But yes, we should indicate we expect them to treat a friend accordingly.
No room for friends in business, especially now they're on the up

Thankfully valarenga are still shite

Liverpool believe Max Eberl, sporting director of the Bundesliga club, has been in continual contact with Brewster and his representatives over a move. (Paul Joyce)

Liverpool have triggered a third year of his scholarship deal, which means he is not able to speak to other clubs, but fear discussions have taken place without their permission. (Paul Joyce)

[article]
“I was excited from the minute I knew Swansea were interested in signing me. I just wanted to get the deal done.

“I wasn’t really getting a chance at Liverpool and I wanted to come somewhere where I hope I will have a better chance to play in the first team. I want to show what I can do.

“Once I knew Swansea were interested, I felt the club would suit me. I have watched the football they have played over the years and I hope coming here will bring out the best in me.”
[/article]

Says 19 year old Yan Dhanda o_O

[article]
“I was excited from the minute I knew Swansea were interested in signing me. I just wanted to get the deal done.

I wasn’t really getting a chance at Liverpool and I wanted to come somewhere where I hope I will have a better chance to play in the first team. I want to show what I can do.

“Once I knew Swansea were interested, I felt the club would suit me. I have watched the football they have played over the years and I hope coming here will bring out the best in me.”
[/article]

What the hell did he see?

Liverpool believe Max Eberl, sporting director of the Bundesliga club, has been in continual contact with Brewster and his representatives over a move. (Paul Joyce)

Liverpool have triggered a third year of his scholarship deal, which means he is not able to speak to other clubs, but fear discussions have taken place without their permission. (Paul Joyce)
What is this third year scholarship? I thought he could leave in the summer for free.

[article]

“I wasn’t really getting a chance at Liverpool and I wanted to come somewhere where I hope I will have a better chance to play in the first team. I want to show what I can do.

[/article]

He's right though. He's never going to play for us and will get a chance at first team football with swansea....its a no brainer.

He's right though. He's never going to play for us and will get a chance at first team football with swansea....its a no brainer.
Very different situation with Brewster though. Brewster has been groomed for entry into the big boys club. If he's as good as they think he might be, he'll get his chance here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom