• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Calzaghe Retires

Fantastic article.

http://Calzaghe's big heart proved too much for those who dared to fight him
The Welsh champion fought and beat 46 opponents by relying on his father Enzo's simple philosophy – speed is all

Kevin Mitchell guardian.co.uk, Thursday 5 February 2009 22.59 GMT

The manner of Joe Calzaghe's leaving was typically low-key, an embargoed press release issued through a third party in dry corporate-speak, and not entirely ruling out a return to the ring.

He wanted no fuss. An essentially shy man, Calzaghe is comfortable in his retreat to the peace of the Welsh mountains that made him, although he will keep himself busy with TV and business deals. It ought not to be long, either, before we see him emerge as a promoter, a career path along which Ricky Hatton and David Haye have started even while still active as boxers.

Last night's announcement, which has been some time coming, left no room for inquisition but created a vacuum into which opinions on his legacy will now flood, and it is no hardship from this vantage point to rank the Welshman as certainly the best performing fighter from these islands since the war. No other went unbeaten. No other was a champion for longer. No other wore the mantle of greatness with such a gentle and diffident swagger.

He was a great fighter, whatever criteria are used. Some critics will quibble, of course, because that is the way of the sport's commentariat. He slapped, he had brittle hands, he was reluctant to travel further than Cardiff. These snipers want perfection and that quality is reserved in all of boxing for maybe Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali and Rocky Marciano – and even they had nights they would rather forget.

On the world stage he bested all of his contemporaries or at least those versions of them who eventually shared a ring with him. It is true the American legends he beat in back-to-back fights on their home turf, Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr, were old and fading. That was no fault of Joe's; he had been chasing them for years, whatever their protests to the contrary, and they invariably made such demands on the purse split that the fixtures died at the negotiating table.

What is undeniable is that Calzaghe housed at the core of his southpaw unorthodoxy a heart as willing as any of us have come across in the sport. It is what defined him because there were moments in his career, especially in some truly testing contests when he was well into his thirties, when you feared he might be toppled. He was down in the first rounds of his fights against Hopkins and Jones, getting up to win; he came through a fierce test of his will against the strong young Dane Mikkel Kessler; and on those nights when the opposition was poor he dredged up a performance to keep that precious unbeaten record intact.

There have been silkier stylists, heavier hitters and fighters who made bigger claims with inferior credentials. But Calzaghe was separated from the herd by the one factor that all champions have in common: he was avoided.

Joe was not only deeply proud of going out 46 times and coming home 46 times an undefeated fighter. He was also quietly concerned that defeat would wreck that aura. It was worth more to him than the CBE, the MBE and the BBC's Personality of the Year award. It was on a par with another accolade, though – that bestowed by his father and trainer, Enzo.

Enzo, who never boxed, is not only lovably eccentric and almost impossible to understand unless you are Italian, Welsh or standing a foot away from his garbled, machine-gun utterances but he has an uncomplicated boxing philosophy that is difficult to fault.

What the father imbued in the son was the simple truth of the ring: speed is all. Joe consistently threw more punches a round than anyone since Henry Armstrong, the extraordinary force of nature who once ruled at three weights.

Not all Calzaghe's blows landed; sometimes maybe a fifth hit their target flush. But so quick and muscled were they that they drained the spirit from his opponents almost without their knowing it. You had only to look at Roy Jones's haggard form at the end of their 12 rounds to see the cumulative effect of Calzaghe's blinding punches.

It is a pointless if diverting exercise to place Calzaghe above or below any particular British fighter in the history of the sport. It is justifiable, though, to say he deserves comparison with any of them. He would have been as good in any era because his gifts were unique to him. Calzaghe would have posed the same problems to Sugar Ray Robinson, for instance, as Randolph Turpin did – and I suspect that, unlike Randy, he would have found a way to win a rematch with the game's finest.

I'm glad Calzaghe finally made it to Madison Square Garden, boxing's spiritual home. And I'm happy to have been there to see a fine man bring his fighting life to a rousing conclusion.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31108.msg798973#msg798973 date=1233923816]
He could have been great.
[/quote]

Could have been great? He has never been beaten, has been world champion for 11 years and not only is he a fantastic boxer, he has carried himself with class. He is a true great and a great rolemodel.

[quote author=A_K_Q_J_10 link=topic=31108.msg799185#msg799185 date=1233946172]
[/quote]

Could have been great? He has never been beaten, has been world champion for 11 years and not only is he a fantastic boxer, he has carried himself with class. He is a true great and a great rolemodel.
[/quote]

He never took on any great boxers in their prime did he ?

Im glad he decided to call it quits. The Americans wanted him to fight Chad Dawson, but i saw that as i no-win situation to be honest. They were calling him to fight Pavlik until Hopkins schooled him a few months back. Then they changed it from fight Pavlik to fight Dawson.
Dont really see anyone out there for him to fight, except maybe a re-match with Hopkins, and Calzaghe said that would never happen.

I would of liked to see him fight Froch as a last 'battle of Britain' fight. Again though, maybe another 'no-win' situation as he would be expected to win.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31108.msg799186#msg799186 date=1233946298]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Charles Brewer
Peter Manfredo
Destroyed Jeff Lacy in his prime after breaking his left hand in training.
Beat a very tough competitor in Mikkel Kessler (who was 28), Kesslers only defeat of his 42 fights.

So when do you think Calzaghe should have fought certain competitors? Im sure you will say he should have fought Roy Jones Jr. earlier, but remember that Calzaghe is only 3 years younger which is not a big difference. Timing for that fight was irrelivent.

Only one you could argue is Bernard Hopkins.

It's a shame the Glen Johnson fight never happened. Joe broke his hand so Johnson fought Jones Jr instead and effectively ended his career.

[quote author=A_K_Q_J_10 link=topic=31108.msg799197#msg799197 date=1233948241]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Charles Brewer
Peter Manfredo
Beat a very tough competitor in Mikkel Kessler (who was 28), Kesslers only defeat of his 42 fights.

So when do you think Calzaghe should have fought certain competitors? Im sure you will say he should have fought Roy Jones Jr. earlier, but remember that Calzaghe is only 3 years younger which is not a big difference. Timing for that fight was irrelivent.

[/quote]

You can't possibly be suggesting Charles Brewer and Peter Manfredo are greats?

[quote author=Hooz link=topic=31108.msg801010#msg801010 date=1234130346]
[quote author=A_K_Q_J_10 link=topic=31108.msg799197#msg799197 date=1233948241]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Charles Brewer
Peter Manfredo

[/quote]

You can't possibly be suggesting Charles Brewer and Peter Manfredo are greats?
[/quote]

Are you trying to discredit The Contender Hooz?

One of those shows that you watch even though you know you shouldn't.

I particularly loved all the fighters fawning over Stallone. An actor with muscles.

"Wo, you've done it all man!"

He was also in Escape to Victory. Don't see Pepe Reina and Cech offering him up sloppy handjobs.

He wrote and starred in the Oscar-winning Rocky

That's impressive and worthy of respect, even if you have seen 'stop or my mom will shoot'

http://www.skysports.com/blogs/blog_story/0,19793,13841_4922504,00.html

[quote author=Sky Sports]

This week, I would like to pay my own tribute to the exceptional boxing career of Joe Calzaghe- an exemplary professional, a terrific guy, and, unquestionably, one of the finest fighters to have ever come from our shores.

I've been fortunate enough to have known Joe for an extremely long time. My step-mum comes from Newbridge - the small old mining town nestled in the valleys - and I am very close to my Welsh clan. My uncle lived next door to Joe's family for many years, and I watched him grow from a talented and flashy young amateur into a supreme, rounded and dominant champion. He is, without any doubt, the greatest sportsman ever to have emerged from these beautiful parts.
Early years

Joe was actually also born in the same Hammersmith hospital as my wife Jo - 7 months apart. His father Enzo was a traveling musician and chef, who had arrived by boat from the eclectic island of Sardinia, and had fallen in love with Jacqui. She was a lovely, quiet Welsh lady - and the polar opposite to the fast-talking, mixed dialect, crazy nature of her husband.

Joe has lived in Wales since he was 2, and is fiercely proud of his roots; he's been seen as the typical down to earth, hard-working Welshman.

My late grandfather was a long-serving prop forward for Newbridge and worked down the mines for 40 years.

Glyn Peregrine also used to drink in the old social club with Enzo. He was gentle by nature, but a very, very hard man by trade. A bit like Joe turned out. They breed them strong, tough and brave in South Wales. A tad insane, it must be said, as well!

"Watch out for that young Calzaghe," Glyn told me 20 odd years ago." He is going to be the best fighter to come out of Britain. Pretty special that boyo."

Joe first laced on the gloves at the age of nine, and had around 120 amateur contests. His skills were honed under the watchful eye of his father (who literally learnt the game beside his son) in a rusty old shack by the Newbridge Rugby club.

A lightening quick southpaw, Joe Calzaghe was natural, gifted and dazzling. He won four schoolboy ABA titles and an unprecedented three senior consecutive ABA titles at different weights - welterweight, light-middleweight and middleweight. He trounced fighters who would go on to become World Champions like Jason Matthews and Glenn Catley,

Calzaghe surprisingly lost to the Romanian Adrian Opreda at the 1990 European Juniors in Prague. It was to be his final boxing defeat. How on earth are we still saying that 19 years later?!

Early promise

A star was born on the sodden night at Cardiff Arms Park, when we showed Lennox Lewis conquering Frank Bruno - as Joe quietly turned over on the wet and windy bill.

Calzaghe returned to Sky with Frank Warren, having captured the British 12 stone crown, and was quickly chasing World honours. Joe re-iterated my Grandfather's words that he would become 'our greatest boxer' in the first TV interview I did with him in 1995.

Calzaghe craved a crack at the iron-chinned Irish King Steve Collins, but the Celtic Warrior called time on his career, and Joe was left facing the eccentric and tremendous Chris Eubank, who, of course, believed he was still 'simply the best'.

A fierce battle raged on October 11th 1997...such a memorable night for Calzaghe as he took the World super-middleweight title after 12 tough rounds. A huge photo of his sizzling knockdown of Eubank in the opening seconds sits proudly on a wall in his parents' house. Incidentally, Eubank once told me he had never been hit as hard.

The quiet man

Unfortunately, Calzaghe never 'dined out ' on his huge win. He went on holiday, and missed promotional opportunities. His relationship with the media was always slightly uncomfortable - especially if he didn't really know or trust the interviewer.

It was an odd period for Calzaghe. The luke-warm defenses against the likes of Branco Sobot and Rick Thornberry hardly set the boxing world alight.

Many believe he lost 'the fight of the pretty boys' against the under-rated Robin Reid, whilst the dull and dreary affair with David Starie is certainly best forgotten. It seemed at one stage that Joe's injuries, lack of apparent ambition or top quality opposition, might ultimately let him down. At the time, he was also struggling to grind himself down to 12 stone, and had to spend hours locked in the sauna ahead of the weigh-ins.

He was beginning to be written off - the 'slapping', the 'injuries', 'the excuses', and 'the sick notes'. I, however, continued to believe in him, and always tried to convince others that a fit and firing Calzaghe would beat any super-middleweight on earth.

Calzaghe was also still winning, and to succeed in this toughest of sports, you often need some lady luck too. Things slowly began to click back into place; Calzaghe demolished the highly rated American Omar Sheika, and dismantled the classy former World champion Richie Woodhall.

Brothers in arms

A little aside - the Woodhall fight was hard for Calzaghe. Not only was he boxing in Sheffield straight after Paul Ingle had been carried out of the ring, following his career-ending defeat to Mbulelo Botile, but Richie and Joe have always been close friends. The victory was testament to the professionalism, quality and ability of Calzaghe. The two father-son teams (Enzo and Joe and Len and Richie) even stopped at a roadside cafe on their way home, where they ate bacon butties and compared their scrapes and bruises. Isn't that what boxing's all about?!

Calzaghe's destruction of the unbeaten and dangerous German banger Mario Veit was a fabulous night in Cardiff. We also had trips to Denmark- where Calzaghe steamrolled Will 'Kid Fire' (or as he was cruelly re-nicknamed Cease-Fire) McIntyre - and to the North East when the strange wild west American Tocker Pudwill (or 'Captain Pugwash') was blown away.

Again critics complained of the easy matches - and his appearances were often few and far between. Getting Calzaghe into a ring happy and healthy was quite an ordeal.

There was the cracker against Charles Brewer, the beautiful summer's night at Cardiff Castle against Miguel Angel Jimenez, and the short, sharp roller coaster with Byron Mitchell. Joe showed us his fighting heart on that occasion; he was so angry about being knocked down for the first time in his life. It was a heavy fall, but Calzaghe fired back straight away - living up to his 'Welsh dragon' pseudonym.
Bouncing back

When Calzaghe was floored by the little-known Egyptian Kabary Salem, it looked like he might be nearing the end of his reign. But Calzaghe knuckled down once more - dispatching Mario Veit again - this time away from home - and boxing his way to a one sided win over Evans Ashira.

Surely Calzaghe's most incredible night was the formidable and breathtaking performance he delivered against the Floridian Jeff Lacy on March 4th 2006.

Joe was the underdog, and yet didn't lose a round. He was sensational - against a hugely hyped American puncher who found himself dominated, humiliated and soundly beaten.

In fact Lacy has never been the same fighter since. Rightfully, Calzaghe got the praise and acclaim he had long deserved.

Sakio Bika gave him a gruelling one- and the fighter with the great chin and seemingly unbreakable skin, had to deal with a severe cut from a head butt. The challenge of 'Contender' star Peter Manfredo was poor, but around 35,000 Welsh fans still turned out in support.

Calzaghe's best

The unforgettable night at the Millennium stadium was on November 3rd 2007, when Calzaghe faced a vicious test in a crunch super-middleweight unification match with the excellent, unbeaten Dane Mikkel Kessler.

Calzaghe was tactically terrific. Despite having early problems, he managed to adapt his game plan and boxed superbly to defuse Kessler. Some believe that was Calzaghe's greatest display. For me, it was the 12 round wipeout of

Jeff Lacy. That was Joe Calzaghe at his phenomenal best.

The Welsh super-middleweight king surpassed the 20 World title defences made by Bernard Hopkins at middleweight, and Larry Holmes at Heavyweight.

Finally Calzaghe got the chance to crack America - albeit late in his career. I always thought he could thrill the Italian fight fraternity in New York with his ring-craft, while having the American girls flock to his good looks.

With a different marketing style (and Joe never would have felt at ease with this), he could have become a true international superstar. Of that I have no doubt.

Still, he got to bow out by beating two modern legends - Hopkins in Las Vegas, and Roy Jones in Manhattan. Both times he was decked in the first; and in both of the mega-matches he rose to win. That fighter's heart once more.

The scrap with Hopkins was very close. It wasn't pretty; it wasn't exciting, but Calzaghe forced out the decision. Against, Jones though, he sparkled, and at times it looked so effortless, as he stood right in front of the former great with his hands down, and his reflexes still so special - even in what would become his last outing.

Out on the top

What a way to go. At 'the Garden'. Out on top. The perfect time to say goodbye; the perfect moment to exit stage left.

His announcement of retirement still may have came out of the blue, with many expecting a 'farewell Homecoming' in Wales. Joe probably didn't see any other fights out there. Why tackle Carl Froch or Chad Dawson? He's beaten better men, He's also appeared in front of his home fans on spectacular nights. Maybe he knew accidents could happen if you outstay your welcome. He has always done things a little differently.

I saw him two weeks before the Jones fight. I was visiting my grammar in Newbridge, and phoned Joe. He was round within the hour, and we had a cup of tea at grammar's house. He told me that 'Jones' would be his final fight, and I am so glad it turned out to be the case. It typifies Joe really - a good chat and a cup of tea with old friends - and telling us privately what will happen. He hasn't and never will change.

Rocky Marciano. Laszlo Papp. Jimmy Barry. Jack McAuliffe. Lee Canalito. Terry Marsh. Sven Ottke. Ricardo Lopez. Floyd Mayweather (for now). Fighters who retired undefeated.

Joe has called it a day with this record. 46 wins- 32 knockouts. 0 defeats. Simply magnificent.

So to sum up - Joe Calzaghe had everything - with southpaw speed, a solid chin, (plus he was hardly ever cut), a tactical brain and volleys of punches - at the forefront. One of his old sparring partners Toks Owoh told me that it was the punch right in the middle of the cluster that really hurt.

They did it their way

Joe was the best 'runner' in training that I've seen in over 15 years of covering the sport (the entire Calzaghe career from start to finish).

He did things the old-fashioned way - preferring to pound the Welsh hills than move to any fancy training camp. He sparred with whoever was around (not many top names venture to Newbridge!). He worked tirelessly on rhythmic combinations with his frenetic father/trainer Enzo - who deserves such a part of this.

They did things differently. They did it their way - and it worked a treat.

Enzo is a fabulous man, a good friend and what a trainer! Father and son together forever - and how often can you say that?!

Joe's also just one of the boys. He likes a beer, he likes a flutter, and he loves his kids, Joe jnr and Connor.

He might have been criticized for largely staying in Newbridge, did indeed sometimes wallow in self-pity, and to some, he came over as sullen. I have, however always liked him, always admired him and, for all those doubters, you know what - he did venture out of the comfort zone in the end.

Not only did Calzaghe remain undefeated in 46, but he was also voted the Young Boxer of the Year, the Sports Personality of the Year and has been awarded both the MBE and CBE from the Queen. Top drawer achievements.

What I love about Joe is that he is so real and so good to be around. There are many fond personal and professional memories. Like his first visit to New York when we had a cracking night out for his birthday - to the sight of Enzo and Joe rolling around the canvas at Wembley after the stoppage of Omar Sheika - to the breaks in Sardinia when we saw the grand-parents, and learnt more about his roots. In fact all of the time we spent making his documentary for Sky, it was a blast. Hard work but fun. Every single shoot.

Yes Calzaghe might not have been as easily promotable as Chris Eubank, Naseem Hamed or Ricky Hatton. And yes he didn't rule in a compelling and ultra -competitive era like Nigel Benn, Steve Collins and Chris Eubank were involved in.

Joe though reigned as World super-middleweight king for over 10 years. He then relinquished the title to move to light-heavyweight for more defining nights. Calzaghe beat every single fighter and challenger in front of him - and that is the ultimate accolade.

Joe Calzaghe - one of the most brilliant champions Britain has ever produced.

I bet my grandfather's looking down and smiling as to how it all turned out.

[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom