• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can anyone explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

6CM Follower
One thing that has always baffled me more than anything in football in terms of referees is..... how come when a player shoots in the box then gets completely taken out, it is never a penalty for a late challenge. This happens on numerous occassions and the majority of the time there is no appeal. Say if a defender clears the ball then gets clattered play goes immediately back and it a foul. Why are late challenges aloud in the box?!

[quote author=mike2903 link=topic=33642.msg871454#msg871454 date=1242835945]
They haven't been denied a goal scoring opportunity I presume
[/quote]

I suppose as if they pass in or nudge it forward its given but its a late challenge and a foul surely?

I'm not up to date on the rules any more but 30-35 years ago, when I was a student, I used to ref some games and run the line in others to help keep fit between playing games myself, and in those days it was actually in the rules of football that officials should give the defending side the benefit of any doubt. Maybe old habits die hard, or maybe people just get caught up in the excitement of penalty-box action.

It is as Mike said, the goal scoring opportunity was not stopped, had it gone in, it'd have been a goal.

That said, as soon as it goes out of play, the ref can book the defender for foul play.

Same as corners really, you see pulling and tugging of shirts etc, but until the ball is in play, you can not give a freekick/penalty, but it always happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom