• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can we beat Arsenal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Simply, to get fourth we have to, if United go 6-7 points clear, it's over, I don't care who they have to play, we aren't making up 7 points over 8 games. So how do we beat them? Can we? They are in superb form, Giroud can't stop scoring, most of their injured players are back and had a few games to get up to pace, and we are on the ropes.

Firstly, just stop with this Sterling at wing back bullshit, it stinks of naivety and that "let them worry about us mentality", he's not a wing back, we look worse when he plays there, and his effectiveness is wasted. I wish Ibe was back, I'm not sure why he's so much better there than Sterling, he just is. Failing that, Markovic or Manquillo.

Secondly, and related, drop Lallana, not because of that miss, or because he's been playing badly, he's been decent, but because Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling and Sturridge in the same formation again is just naivety, it doesn't work, not against the better teams anyway. Shore up the defence, push Sterling forward, we couldn't control the ball yesterday, if felt at times like the team was set up to start playing when it got into Coutinho's feet, the problem was we could never get there, it seems counter intuitive to say as both Markovic and Ibe are attacking players, but they seem to stick back more, remember to defend, and as a result give us more options when building from the back.

We can win this game if we play at full potential with the right team, I'm sure of that, I just don't think we will, which is very worrying. It's going to be a long fortnight.

Pace.. Pace Pace and more Pace..

Ibe should be back after the international break..

Sterling behind Sturridge with Coutinho with IBE at RWB..

Play that we will win...

I think Sturridge has to be dropped, or we have to change formation. Start Sterling up top, and bring on Sturridge for him after about 70.

I don't think we'll beat Arsenal anyway.

If we dont then our league season is over, its a good time for us to have an international break. Arsenal are playing really well and the break comes at a bad time for them. We need to clear our heads, we have been shite since the City game

I think Sturridge has to be dropped, or we have to change formation. Start Sterling up top, and bring on Sturridge for him after about 70.

I don't think we'll beat Arsenal anyway.

I think we can beat them but on the above, last season we typically had two of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling together and we found a way to make it work so I'm not that concerned about us going forward.

The problem is I don't think we want to go back to a back four

A back four can work though, with Can infront, asking him to drop in between (as our DM's do anyway). The big worry is the fullbacks, it comes to something when the best one we have available is Glen fucking Johnson.

As for Sterling, I don't buy this bollocks about him being a victim of position, he's played well there before, he's just playing crap and when you factor that the bellend wants £150k per week, it's a bit of laughable timing on his part to start looking clueless. That incident on the sideline when he mis-controlled the ball summed up his recent form - shite and not good enough. He's playing like he's got a chip on his shoulder, and that kind of crap attitude will last about 5 minutes with the fans.

Well the other factor with Sterling is he's never played this much football in a season before - maybe he's not up to 40 plus games yet

We 'can' beat the arse, but it's touch and go. We need to muscle them as they've got a soft belly.
I'm getting more and more concerned about our 'wing backs'. We're shoehorning any old player into the slot, and the only player that's looked decent in the role is Ibe. If the arse decide to focus their attacks down the wings with Sanchez and Cazorla etc, we could be right in the shit.
We've got a whopping break now, so we really need to be on it when that game comes up, really run ourselves into the ground. Cliché, but every game game is a cup final now.

I think we should concentrate on the fact they are a pathetic, limp, hateful, mincing ponce of a team. And I hope Giroud gets a very hard elbow in his face. Fucking cunts.

Lallana's crocked, so at least he's not going off to England. We should do a Ginsoak and pull the others out, too. If Skrtel gets a ban, and at least one of Sterling or Sturridge gets injured under Hodgson's incompetent guidance, we'll be in a poor state. Also, if Rodgers opens his mouth again about his tactical plans Pascoe should give him a slap.

Lallana's crocked, so at least he's not going off to England. We should do a Ginsoak and pull the others out, too. If Skrtel gets a ban, and at least one of Sterling or Sturridge gets injured under Hodgson's incompetent guidance, we'll be in a poor state. Also, if Rodgers opens his mouth again about his tactical plans Pascoe should give him a slap.

You're not hopeful then?

Ha, nope. One thing that concerns me about Rodgers is he seems to be withdrawing inside himself during games recently. Benitez in his early days was exceptionally good at orchestrating his players from the touchline during a half. Incredibly hard to do, of course, which made his impact all the more striking. Then he reverted to what Rodgers does now - scribble, scribble, scribble into a notebook while it all goes tits up on the pitch. No early subs, no quick words with players on the touchline, no apparent changes of plan. It wasn't just Van Gaal who accepted Rodgers' endless info on his game plans and frustrated them, it was also, to varying degrees of success, Gary Monk, Neil Lennon and Gary Bowyer. I'm not sure how many other managers need to show that they're not dazzled by this wildly over-exposed formation and tactical plan before Rodgers remembers how flexible he used to be. These days he doesn't even, say, move Markovic to the left during a game, or tinker with the shape of the midfield. Yesterday he only really woke up when we needed to change things after the sending off. 45 minutes of unadulterated horror went by and he just stood there with his head down scribbling. There'll be one alteration, maybe, at half time, and then it's back to scribble, scribble, scribble. He needs the here and now boldness that he showed last season.

I go into every game we play thinking we can win and this one will be no different.

I'll just have to wait and watch it play out.

Yes, it's funny but his insistence on telling all and sundry his exact tactics when we win strangely deserts him when we lose. Always feels like a toddler showing people they've managed to do a dump in their potty. One of his least endearing qualities.

We win 2-3 they are due a defeat and we need to bounce back great time to play them YNWA

We do not win this we could end up in 7th...

Southampton and Spurs are breathing down our necks....
absoloute must win game.. we just cannot lose or draw...

So Skrtel, Sturridge, Lallana, Gerrard and who else is out for this game ? Is Markovic still missing ?

:(

................................. Ming

.........Can ............... Lovren ............. Sakho

Hendo.................... Lucas .................... Johnson
(I don't care if he's lacking match practice - we need him for this one)

Ibe ........................ Coutinho ............. Markovic
(if he's fit)
................................Sterling

S Mignolet Ankle/Foot Injury no return date
D Sturridge Hip/Thigh Injury no return date
D Lovren Abdominal Strain no return date
A Lallana Groin/Pelvis Injury no return date
J Ibe LCL Knee Ligament Injury 28th Mar 15
J Flanagan Knee Injury 4th Apr 15

We're not going to outplay them in any way. We should line up in a tight, rigid 4-4-2 Atletico style, press the hell out of them, and look to break with pace up front.

Depending on injuries, I'd go:

Mignolet

Can Skrtel Sakho Flanagan

Allen Lucas
Henderson Coutinho

Sturridge Sterling

Looking unlikely to beat Arsenal. They are in form. If we lose, top 4 is out. Scrapping for 5th and 6th.

I hope we don't go for a flat 4-4-2 with Flanno at LB, Can at RB and Hendo at RW. Can't see that being very good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom