• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cardiff Redbirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxForceFive

6CM Addict
Administrator
Cardiff City to change kit from blue to red amid financial investment

Cardiff City are to go ahead with plans to rebrand the club, including changing the kit from blue to red and introducing a new badge. The changes are part of a "major and significant" investment pledge from Cardiff's Malaysian owners. They believe that the change of colour will expand the club's appeal in "international markets". "We are only too aware that the change of colour is a radical move," said Cardiff chief executive Alan Whiteley.

The decision to implement the rebranding proposal was taken during talks between board members on Tuesday. Cardiff released a statement confirming that investors Tan Sri Vincent Tan and Dato Chan Tien Ghee have pledged their commitment to the club. As well as wearing red rather than blue home shirts from next season - for the first time since 1910 - the Championship club say they will now look into expanding Cardiff City Stadium and upgrading the club's training facilities.

More significantly, the investment plan hopes to clear the historical debt to the Langston Corporation, which is represented by former Cardiff owner Sam Hammam. Negotiations have opened with Hammam and a "fair and reasonable" final offer had been made to the former City chairman in a bid to clear the debts, thought to be around £30m. "The change of colour is a radical and some would say revolutionary move which will be met with unease and apprehension by a number of supporters, along with being seen as controversial by many," said Whiteley.

"To those I would like to say that this was not a decision that has been taken lightly or without a great deal of thought and debate.

"There is no getting away from the fact that history and traditions are the lifeblood of any club and as such should be jealously guarded and preserved. "Both the board and our investors fully understand and respect this and will do their utmost to uphold, protect and promote the values and virtues which the club stands for."

Whiteley said the driving forced behind the move was to put Cardiff on a firm financial footing, allowing them to reach the Premier League. "By securing this investment we can safeguard the immediate and long-term future of this club," he added. "The changes to the home kit and badge introduced as a consequence of the investment package are designed to help the club to develop its brand and to allow it to expand its appeal to as wide an audience as possible, with a view to delivering local success via an international and diverse market."

Malky Mackay, the Cardiff manager, welcomed the investment and the plans to bolster his squad for the new season. "The securing of this package of investment and the breadth of vision which it encompasses should enable us to build on the progress already made in my first year and puts us in a position to take Cardiff City forward in the way which the fans deserve," said Mackay.

In May, the owners indicated they would be ready to invest into the club if the Bluebirds changed their shirt colours from blue for red and rebrand the club crest. Some fans initially reacted angrily to the proposed change of club colours and it was feared the protest jeopardised investment plans by principal backer Vincent Tan, who had planned the multi-million pound rebrand. Cardiff chairman Tien Ghee later revealed that controversial proposal had been dropped due to "vociferous opposition", but he reassured the ongoing commitment of the Malaysian investors. He warned that the Bluebirds could not afford to continue losing money - a reported £1m a month - and that their investment strategy, said to be worth £100m, would be reassessed.

Although opposition to the rebrand among some Cardiff fans has cooled because of the scale of the proposed investment, others remain vehemently opposed to the change. Cardiff Supporters' Trust chairman Tim Hartley said: "We welcome news about the proposed investment, stabilisation of the club's finances and especially the commitment to clearing our historic debts. "However, there are still questions that need to be answered such as what happens to the proposed investment if there is no deal over historical debts with Langston and how much will actually be invested and over what period." Cardiff's owners have already invested about £40m since Tien Ghee first represented the Malaysian investors on the Cardiff board in November 2009.

So we could have worse owners then is what your telling me?

Kind of, yeah.

It also just sickened & amused me in equal measure.

Nothing shocks me after Wimbledon was raped of its history & dragged halfway across the country.

I think this is fucking mad and any Cardiff fan who agrees to it may as well sell their arse a la gay Midnight Cowboy stylee.

The Bluebirds are no more, still it's better than being no more full stop
Very true. I don't understand the logic of re-branding them, but I do understand the logic of accepting the cash

Very true. I don't understand the logic of re-branding them, but I do understand the logic of accepting the cash

At what price though ? I'd tell their sponsors to fuck off frankly and here's a thought. What if they go through the rebranding, kit colour change etc.. and their sponsors don't cough up ?? How daft will they all feel then ?

At first I had to check it wasn't April 1st. I feel for any fat Welshmen with blue Cardiff tatts. Bit like that guy who had a full Andy Cole (sorry, ANDREW Cole) in a Newcastle strip tattoed on his back the day before they sold him to the mancs.

Another nail in the coffin of football. Ludicrous.

At what price though ? I'd tell their sponsors to fuck off frankly and here's a thought. What if they go through the rebranding, kit colour change etc.. and their sponsors don't cough up ?? How daft will they all feel then ?
Yeah but as Vlad said, the club was the price for not taking the money. They have been in severe debt since Risdale joined (in fact it was way before that according to wiki). They also had 5 winding up orders in Risdales time.

Change colour of shirt or lose the club altogether, I think its a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, the whole thing is stupid. But if the sponsors want to play silly buggers then I don't see the problem with Cardiff taking the money. They will always be Cardiff.

Yeah but as Vlad said, the club was the price for not taking the money. They have been in severe debt since Risdale joined (in fact it was way before that according to wiki). They also had 5 winding up orders in Risdales time.

Change colour of shirt or lose the club altogether, I think its a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, the whole thing is stupid. But if the sponsors want to play silly buggers then I don't see the problem with Cardiff taking the money. They will always be Cardiff.

I get where you're coming from but I'd be very wary of these sponsors/owners myself mate. Beware of greeks bearing gifts and all that.

If we were told we'd get enough money in our coffers to win the league, if we changed our colour to purple(or whatever), would people take it?

Give it a couple of years.
Our new stadium will be called KFC Stadium and the team will be called the Liverpool Grizzlies.

No, never. Although Shankly did change the kit to all red.

It's funny what people will agree to:
  • Foreign owners: Ok
  • Selling stadium rights: Not happy about it, but ok
  • Moving stadium: Ok, as long as it's within a few miles
  • Changing crest: Ok
  • Changing away strip colours: Ok
  • Changing home strip colour: Never, well never again at least.
Although I do agree with you it would be very odd, money talks these days. I'm sure everyone would get over it eventually if they saw the benefits of it.
Having said that, I can't see what the benefits of changing your colours are.

Although I do agree with you it would be very odd, money talks these days. I'm sure everyone would get over it eventually if they saw the benefits of it.

Ha. Good points made. I think the crest wasn't a change more of aswitch back to what it used to be really. Owners, stadium, away kit - those are all variable over the long term for almost every club. I think the home kit's part of your identity. The Cardiff thing it's like you see when one of your mates gets with a girl who makes out she really likes him and then sets about changing everything about them so it fits with her profile of what she really wants from her boyfriend to the point you don't even recognise him anymore.

Red kits sell wayyyyy more than blue or any other colour in the Far East as it's considered lucky & they (generalisation warning) take that shit more seriously than we do, so teams playing in red attract more fans too. If they don't win fuck all it's moot though, cos they'll just follow Utd or us (when we start winning regularly again!).

Gerry also has a point about money talking too and it was a crying shame the day football turned from a sport into a business. We were one of the first to start it all with our shirt sponsorship.

Ha. Good points made. I think the crest wasn't a change more of aswitch back to what it used to be really. Owners, stadium, away kit - those are all variable over the long term for almost every club. I think the home kit's part of your identity. The Cardiff thing it's like you see when one of your mates gets with a girl who makes out she really likes him and then sets about changing everything about them so it fits with her profile of what she really wants from her boyfriend to the point you don't even recognise him anymore.

All I'm saying is if I were a Cardiff fan, and I was given a choice of going into administration or changing the shirt colour, I know what I'd choose. I'm sure* they've looked into it, and if this is the only change they need to make to make them a profitable club again, then it seems like an easy solution.

The club is about more than just the colour of the shirt. Look at United waving their yellow and green, and look at fans of every club buying away shirts that have none of their home colours in them. I'm sure Cardiff's away colour will still be blue, and that's the shirt that most people will buy, even if they only had away ones before anyway.

*Actually they probably haven't, and it probably won't make any difference to shirt sales.

I guess if you're given the choice of death or a good arse rodgering there's only one option you can take no matter how unpalatable.

Gerry also has a point about money talking too and it was a crying shame the day football turned from a sport into a business. We were one of the first to start it all with our shirt sponsorship.

I think it was when football turned into a professional sport, or at least when they started paying players exorbitant amounts of money, which removed them from reality. Everything else has followed from the crazy salaries. I blame Sky.

new badge leaked...

AngryRedBird.png

A very looooong time ago i nearly pissed myself at a Cardiff game.

I hope they change their colours to pink and orange next.

Red kits sell wayyyyy more than blue or any other colour in the Far East as it's considered lucky & they (generalisation warning) take that shit more seriously than we do, so teams playing in red attract more fans too. If they don't win fuck all it's moot though, cos they'll just follow Utd or us (when we start winning regularly again!).

Red kits sell wayyyy more than blue or any other colour in the Far East, for only three reasons:
(1) Man Utd
(2) Liverpool
(3) Arsenal

This is just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom