• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Celtic 62 not out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Impressive even in a one horse race.

Can they surpass the all time domestic world record of 100 and something?

Whatever the budget, 62 games unbeaten at any level is impressive.

HC and Momo, if Liverpool could've beat teams with inferior budgets over the last few decades, there would be a lot more trophies in the cabinet, including a few league titles.

there is nowhere near the levels of disparity between the two leagues.

the premier league was more competitive at day dot.

Nah, Scottish football is shite, always has been and probably always will be.

Shamelessly copied and pasted from wikipedia: Since 1985, no team outside of the Old Firm has won the title and there was only one SPL season when both clubs failed to occupy first and second position with Hearts finishing second behind Celtic

Nah, Scottish football is shite, always has been and probably always will be.

Shamelessly copied and pasted from wikipedia: Since 1985, no team outside of the Old Firm has won the title and there was only one SPL season when both clubs failed to occupy first and second position with Hearts finishing second behind Celtic

It still doesn't mean it's not impressive to go 62 games unbeaten

It's somewhat impressive for any side to stay unbeaten that long but in relative terms they are miles in front of the competition. If they win a domestic treble again this year be surprised if Rodgers stays, what else could he do there.

Celtic’s wage budget is double that of the second highest paying team. It is 17 times that of the lowest paying Scottish premier league side.

No other league has such disparities. Look how terrible Scottish clubs perform in Europe. They’re gash.

Why doesn't every manager who goes there manage to go so many games unbeaten?

As for transfers, have you seen how much they have actually spent? Just under £5m this Summer and just over £8m the previous summer. £13m across two seasons plus some shrewd free transfers. It's hardly Chelsea/City versus the rest kinda territory.

It's somewhat impressive for any side to stay unbeaten that long but in relative terms they are miles in front of the competition. If they win a domestic treble again this year be surprised if Rodgers stays, what else could he do there.

I think he'd happily stay til they get 10 in a row. That's their big target

What are the transfer budgets of all the other clubs up there?

Rangers spent just under £9m this Summer and £2m last summer, hardly significantly different to what Celtic spent, generally most teams in that league rely on free transfers, Rangers and Celtic included.

There is no money in Scotland and the club that can spend on average £700,000 on wages per year on a player beat teams who can offer no where near this.

It would be ridiculous to suggest a team of free transfers can beat Celtic.

There is no money in Scotland and the club that can spend on average £700,000 on wages per year on a player beat teams who can offer no where near this.

It would be ridiculous to suggest a team of free transfers can beat Celtic.

Celtic is littered with free transfers too. My point still stands anyway, why doesn't every manager go to Celtic and go on crazy unbeaten runs?

It's a good record and he's done well trying to rebuild his reputation after his downfall at Liverpool, he'll go on to another club in a few seasons and we'll see whether he has progressed as a manager. He's still the manager who came closest to winning the Premiership for us, closer than Houllier and Rafa, so he's not as bad as some seem intent on making out. We played some of the best football I've seen under him, during the 18 months or so after he signed Sturridge and Coutinho. Good luck to him.

Celtic is littered with free transfers too. My point still stands anyway, why doesn't every manager go to Celtic and go on crazy unbeaten runs?

It's a good record and he's done well trying to rebuild his reputation after his downfall at Liverpool, he'll go on to another club in a few seasons and we'll see whether he has progressed as a manager. He's still the manager who came closest to winning the Premiership for us, closer than Houllier and Rafa, so he's not as bad as some seem intent on making out. We played some of the best football I've seen under him, during the 18 months or so after he signed Sturridge and Coutinho. Good luck to him.
I can't think of a good manager who went to celtic though. Arguably Rodgers is the first competent manager they've had in fucking eons, so that's why he's doing so well

Rangers administration, and stagnation across the entire league has made a perfect storm for him. There's zero competition in the league, so no wonder they get embarrassed in Europe

This deserves a “so fucking what” reply. Their budget outstrips every other Scottish team going. They should be doing that.

But they haven't before now. People can say what they like about the league, but it's still a hugely impressive achievement - not jut the results but the style whereby they've achieved it.

It has probably made Scottish football even more irrelevant for me. No one gives a shit. Celtic would be a 10th-15th finisher club in the PL, a West Brom type club.

It has probably made Scottish football even more irrelevant for me. No one gives a shit. Celtic would be a 10th-15th finisher club in the PL, a West Brom type club.

Would they though? With the money in England now and the size of their fanbase they should in theory be a one of the big sides

Celtic would clearly be a midtable side at best. 15th probably would be a sucess for them..

If they came here now they would. I don't think that was DB's point, he was saying they are set up for potentially more in the longterm. Which is true, the possibilities are there. Amazing that people want be belittle them by the gulf in class, both ways - they went on an unbeaten run because they're vastly superior than everyone else, but if they came here they don't have the resources to compete. Or translation: anyone who hates Rogers is having a free for all telling us how irrelevant an achievement it is.

Whatevers.

I don't give much of a fuck about Scotland, Celtic or Rodgers, or indeed how many games undefeated (or whatever this 62 game record is - I don't care).

But, but, but. If anyone says that Rodgers is doing anything other than a "good job" at Celtic, then there's clearly an agenda.

Has anyone said he hasnt? I think Mark has gone OTT in his Rogers Defence League Duties.

The point is, given Celtics financial and infrastructural superiority , its not a massive surprise to hear they havent lost in 60 odd league games, nor is it a particular achievement to anybody not associated with Celtic.

Its a properly shite league, of course they will win it and subsequently they will win or draw the vast majorty of their games, so statistically to erradicate those handful of losses , its not really a feat is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom