• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cheeky Bid in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Chelsea play to his strengths, we used to find a way to get the early ball played into him or for him to run on to, he's already expressed his concerns that Chelsea players are slow in their build up. Before he left he looked like he was getting it together under Kenny.

He's still one of the best strikers I've seen play for us and if there was a bit of admittance on his part I'd easily take him back and back Kenny and Co to get the best from him. Torres and Suarez could be lethal.

The only person that can get the best out of Torres is Torres, but physically he's fucked and mentally he doesn't have it anymore. He's content now.

A lot of people are kidding themselves here, if it was announced he was resigning for us for £20m most of us, especially me, would wet themselves in excitment. Fernando moving deprived us of one of the best striking partnerships since Henry and Bergkamp, id have done anything to see those two together

[quote author=Mystic link=topic=47623.msg1430893#msg1430893 date=1322038676]
A lot of people are kidding themselves here, if it was announced he was resigning for us for £20m most of us, especially me, would wet themselves in excitment. Fernando moving deprived us of one of the best striking partnerships since Henry and Bergkamp, id have done anything to see those two together
[/quote]

Speak for yourself, don't speak for the rest of us.

Plus seeing as they never played together, how can you say it would have been a good partnership? Torres is playing with Anelka and Drogba who are both top strikers and their partnership has hardly been on fire.

Have we learned nothing from Spurs and Robbie Keane ?

Yeah I'd be creaming myself at the thought of a striker, who has scored three league goals in a year, signing for 20m. Fernando leaving deprived us of a striker who didn't want to play for us and arguably doesn't look like he's interested in football at all.

I can't for the life of me think why people when judging whether or not someone would be a good signing disregard his most recent, absolutely fucking dire form, and presume he can get back to form which he hasn't shown for four years. I know someone will come back with the "class is permanent" nonsense, but have a look at his career - once he's hit 20 goals in a season. I would obviously argue that one season that was much better than the rest can be put down to form, his "class" or true talent is a bit less than that. And that's before you take into account that he's physically nowhere near what he used to be. He hasn't got the pace or power he once had.

[quote author=Mystic link=topic=47623.msg1430893#msg1430893 date=1322038676]
A lot of people are kidding themselves here, if it was announced he was resigning for us for £20m most of us, especially me, would wet themselves in excitment.
[/quote]

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't be against signing him for 10m or so, he's worth a risk at that price. But he's not worth a whole lot more given his injuries and lack of form.

I wouldn't get terribly excited about him either.

I'd much rather spend the money on someone else who has more potential.

There was more to his game than out and out pace, he was determined and skillful and brave etc etc ...all the good things a striker needs... BUT those consecutive hamstring injuries didnt just rob him of his match winning pace they robbed him of his Mojo, he doesnt even seem to enjoy football anymore does he...

Im sorry it turned out the way it did for him, for a whilke he did a passable impression of the best striker in the world, but Fuck him. He didnt give a shit about us at the end.

50M was good business, even if we did piss it up the proverbial wall with Carroll.

IMO he is not worth 20M until he starts scoring goals and I havent seen him do that consistently for near on 2 years... forget the man, yesterdays news.

Fernando Torres is the new Michael Owen.
There will be "Would you take him back" type threads for every transfer window over the next four years or so.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47623.msg1430897#msg1430897 date=1322039239]
Have we learned nothing from Spurs and Robbie Keane ?

Yeah I'd be creaming myself at the thought of a striker, who has scored three league goals in a year, signing for 20m. Fernando leaving deprived us of a striker who didn't want to play for us and arguably doesn't look like he's interested in football at all.

I can't for the life of me think why people when judging whether or not someone would be a good signing disregard his most recent, absolutely fucking dire form, and presume he can get back to form which he hasn't shown for four years. I know someone will come back with the "class is permanent" nonsense, but have a look at his career - once he's hit 20 goals in a season. I would obviously argue that one season that was much better than the rest can be put down to form, his "class" or true talent is a bit less than that. And that's before you take into account that he's physically nowhere near what he used to be. He hasn't got the pace or power he once had.
[/quote]

^^^

I'd take Torres back but only if he showed signs that he could become the player he was. But if that happened Chelsea wouldn't sell anyway.

The money he would cost makes it a very unattractive risk.

I wonder if Newcastle fans are having a similar debate about Carroll right now.

[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=47623.msg1430835#msg1430835 date=1322005022]
I reckon RebelRed is Torres himself, he's going around the various forums trying to feel out the mood.
[/quote]

I assure i'm not Torres, unless he's a southern Irish guy!!

chelsea aren't playing to torres' strengths just like we aren't playing to carroll's strength.
but players should adapt to teams not the other way round unless the individual in question is otherworldly talent (messi, ronaldo).

Normally I'd say NEVER but in this case I'm not so sure.

Torres' head was turned by the insane money offered at Chelsea. Helped on by the fact he was playing in a Liverpool side under Roy Hodgson's guidance with almost all responsibility placed on his shoulders. Without him we played the likes of Ngog and El Zhar. Mascherano, Alonso had Arbeloa had all left the building and Gerrard was nowhere near his own self. Not making excuses here, just trying to see things with a bit of perspective. (Still doesn't excuse his comments about never leaving blah blah).

IF and that's a big pivotal IF he were to accept an enourmous pay-decrease and we wouldn't have to pay any more than say £20-25M I'd certainly go for it.

A Torres and Suarez combo, no matter what the past has brought us, would be nothing less than a mouth-watering prospect.

Torres made a mistake. He probably knows this better than most. If he's ready to make amends and let go on loads of money to come back to Liverpool, I'd love him to.

[quote author=Rebelred link=topic=47623.msg1430910#msg1430910 date=1322042763]
[quote author=gene hughes link=topic=47623.msg1430835#msg1430835 date=1322005022]
I reckon RebelRed is Torres himself, he's going around the various forums trying to feel out the mood.
[/quote]

I assure i'm not Torres, unless he's a southern Irish guy!!
[/quote]

Fernan Declan O' Torres.

CAPTURED !

KHL if you had never seen Torres play before this season what would your opinion of him be?

I ask because we wouldnt be buying the 2007 Torres. Lets not even get into the fact half the squad has no time for him.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47623.msg1430945#msg1430945 date=1322048385]
KHL if you had never seen Torres play before this season what would your opinion of him be?

I ask because we wouldnt be buying the 2007 Torres. Lets not even get into the fact half the squad has no time for him.
[/quote]
Very low.

I just believe there's truth in the old saying. Form is tepmorary, class is permanent.

What about a cheeky bid for Anelka? Rumoured that he is being given consent to leave for free if Chelsea can bag 2 strikers in the January market.

Anelka's still got bags of class, strong as a bull and pacy, no settling in period to the prem as he's playing there. Would welcome more strength up front. A no brainer as per Bellers

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47623.msg1430945#msg1430945 date=1322048385]

[/quote]

half? devil's advocate, how do you know this? carra and gerrard wanted him gone and then? did pepe want him out, for instance?

[quote author=Rebelred link=topic=47623.msg1431038#msg1431038 date=1322059047]
Anelka's still got bags of class, strong as a bull and pacy, no settling in period to the prem as he's playing there. Would welcome more strength up front. A no brainer as per Bellers
[/quote]

Would depend on his wages though wouldn't it? I mean, didn't Bellamy have to take a big pay cut to come back?

I am not opposed to Anelka in the short term as we clearly need someone up front who can get goals, but in reality I don't get the impression that the owners will pay over the odds in wages for older players

There is also the chance that Chelsea will see us as competition for the top 4 by then. At least I hope they will anyway!

The thing I found about Torres was that although his pace and power was one of the most notable things about his game, he wasn't a bad striker for us even without that. He scored with shots from distance, headers and tap ins from crosses, all sorts of stuff. He's still a good player even if he's lost some pace but he's more like a 12m or 15m player.

£10M is all Torres is worth. Bring him back and he'll flourish here. His career has stalled and in danger of coming to a grinding halt.

I reckon he'll try to get his career back on track with Chelsea getting as much of Roman's money as he can.
Then at some stage he's probably going back to Atletico.

I'd swap Carroll for Torres if they're up for that.

I'd be made up if we signed Anelka, he's one of my favourite players in the PL. But apparently we tried to get him as part of the Torres deal but he wasn't up for it.

[quote author=Richey link=topic=47623.msg1430906#msg1430906 date=1322040953]
I'd take Torres back but only if he showed signs that he could become the player he was. But if that happened Chelsea wouldn't sell anyway.

The money he would cost makes it a very unattractive risk.

I wonder if Newcastle fans are having a similar debate about Carroll right now.
[/quote]

Probably too busy pissing themselves laughing.

Not to put a downer - but your all saying these things - if Chelsea were to sell, how do you figure thy won't to say United or City for a cut down £20M ? - I mean maybe he can't be good in the Chelsea team but I am pretty f*cking sure he would thrive at the likes of United or Man City !!!

Regarding Anelka - if free we should get him.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=47623.msg1430869#msg1430869 date=1322024438]
[quote author=Fabio link=topic=47623.msg1430773#msg1430773 date=1321993910]
[quote author=ILD link=topic=47623.msg1430770#msg1430770 date=1321993545]
Fuck him, lets try get Edison Cavani. Scored again tonight.
[/quote]

*sigh*

i'd love him so much. him or lavezzi

Hell, most of the attacking plyers for napoli
[/quote]

The most he's ever scored in a season is 11. He's looked decent when I've seen him, but that record is enough to put me off him. It's shit.
[/quote]

I guess you're talking about Lavezzi. I think he's fantastic and their best player by some distance. Also the reason why Cavani looks so good is the genius that is Lavezzi. He's not a pure goalscorer by any means but the guy makes them tick. Cavani's value on the other hand is way way inflated at the moment. He's good but not that good.

[quote author=moron link=topic=47623.msg1431339#msg1431339 date=1322101450]
Not to put a downer - but your all saying these things - if Chelsea were to sell, how do you figure thy won't to say United or City for a cut down £20M ? - I mean maybe he can't be good in the Chelsea team but I am pretty f*cking sure he would thrive at the likes of United or Man City !!!

Regarding Anelka - if free we should get him.
[/quote]

Do you actually think they'll strengthen MU or Citeh? I can't see this happening.

OK guys just to stir it up!! Should Kenny tempt Chelsea with a straight take it or leave it 25 million bid for Torres in January. Once he's realised his huge mistake in trading L'pool on th up for Chelsea on the way down he cud settle back and start banging in the goals. If he fired us to big things could people forgive him. This is no Fernando writing this by the way!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom