• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Club up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even think that's a way of looking at it, we've done well, we've won and competed more than we should have, given the money spent and players sold.

That said, moneyball has a longevity that only works under sustainable conditions, our conditions just aren't sustainable and that's where everything usually, eventually comes crashing down. Especially in such a competitive league. City have been as successful by spending big. We've just been really fortunate to have had a manager who could defy the odds.

I think the whole moneyball thing was overegged from the get go due to Henry's connection with it and the fact that we seemed to modernize the setup of backroom staff (which more or less every club has done).

Anyways, yes, it's difficult to sustain that kind of model. You have to commit to the idea that you're going to work in cycles where you build up a team, hope for a bit of success and then tear it down and start again. You need owners that are committed and here for the long-term. You need to be buying and selling a lot.

I don't know what the fuck has been going on at Liverpool in recent years but as we've been saying across every thread, whatever the situation is behind the scenes right now, it doesn't seem to be up set up to support any kind of model. We've been left to rot.

People need to stop being on a downer. Yeah, we lost but the hope is it opened the boards eyes to the frailties in the squad and they're doing something about it. If they don't sign anyone by the end of Jan, I expect our fans to do what Arse and Man U fans did, and that's hold protests.
Klopp likes FSG because a) They've given him a fat salary b) cushy benefits like rent free accommodation c) Coaching staff which includes 2 or more GK coaches and a Throw-In Coach d) world class training facilities. So personnel wise he has a lot of bodies helping him

However us as fans know their tight spending has cost us at least 1 title, the season we came 3rd, FSG refused Klopp defenders.

So the way I see it, is FSG don't spend, fans will want FSG out and we get I hope big spending owners, or FSG do stay they'll have to placate fans

Last edited:
I don't even think that's a way of looking at it, we've done well, we've won and competed more than we should have, given the money spent and players sold.

That said, moneyball has a longevity that only works under sustainable conditions, our conditions just aren't sustainable and that's where everything usually, eventually comes crashing down. Especially in such a competitive league. City have been as successful by spending big. We've just been really fortunate to have had a manager who could defy the odds.
We may have found it sustainable had someone within the club had a plan. You aren’t going to be successful signing 5 left sided forwards in 2 1/2 years whilst neglecting the rest of the side. You look at who you have, what’s their shelf life and who to get in. We just went out and stock piled on players we didn’t need.

Klopp might walk anyways if things aren't right behind the scenes.

I started writing this post thinking he wouldn't want to leave with things as broken as they are - he said he wanted to leave things in good shape for his successor I believe - but then I remembered that he left Dortmund after a bad period.

The good times never seem to last too long these days!
That season Dortmund had an injury list as bad as we've ever had and were in trouble, actually touching bottom. However as the injured returned Dortmund climbed up the league and finished seventh. He didn't leave them when 'broken'. Just a poor season in comparison to what had gone before.

2D2B8D8800000578-3263464-A_graphic_showing_Dortmund_s_monthly_league_positions_during_his-a-46_1444229737252.jpg

That season Dortmund had an injury list as bad as we've ever had and were in trouble, actually touching bottom. However as the injured returned Dortmund climbed up the league and finished seventh. He didn't leave them when 'broken'. Just a poor season in comparison to what had gone before.

In fairness, I didn't say that he did. I said he left after a bad period.

I said we are broken. How broken we'll see when everyone is fit again (if ever) but right now feels pretty broken.

Also, they were unlucky
https://statsbomb.com/articles/soccer/borussia-dortmund-whats-gone-wrong/
[article]
opening half of the 2014/15 Bundesliga season:

our model had expected them to score almost 25 goals; however they only troubled the scoreboard operator 18 times.
Top5League.png

[/article]

And we were aware of it
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

[article]
Graham spread out his papers on the table in front of him. He began talking about a game that Borussia Dortmund, the German club that Klopp coached before joining Liverpool, had played the previous season. He noted that Dortmund had numerous chances against the lightly regarded Mainz, a smaller club that would end up finishing in 11th place. Yet Klopp’s team lost, 2-0. Graham was starting to explain what his printouts showed when Klopp’s face lit up. “Ah, you saw that game,” he said. “It was crazy. We killed them. You saw it!”

Graham had not seen the game. But earlier that fall, as Liverpool was deciding who should replace the manager it was about to fire, Graham fed a numerical rendering of every attempted pass, shot and tackle by Dortmund’s players during Klopp’s tenure into a mathematical model he had constructed. Then he evaluated each of Dortmund’s games based on how his calculations assessed the players’ performances that day. The difference was striking. Dortmund had finished seventh during Klopp’s last season at the club, but the model determined that it should have finished second. Graham’s conclusion was that the disappointing season had nothing to do with Klopp, though his reputation had suffered because of it. He just happened to be coaching one of the unluckiest teams in recent history.

In that game against Mainz, the charts showed, Dortmund took 19 shots compared with 10 by its opponent. It controlled play nearly two-thirds of the time. It advanced the ball into the offensive zone a total of 85 times, allowing Mainz to do the same just 55 times. It worked the ball into Mainz’s penalty area on an impressive 36 occasions; Mainz managed only 17. But Dortmund lost because of two fluky errors. In the 70th minute, Dortmund missed a penalty shot. Four minutes later, it mistakenly scored in its own goal. Dortmund had played a better game than Mainz by almost any measure — except the score.
[/article]

I think in a way we are worse than that season's Dortmund. Our current pts is more or less fair indication of how we are performing.:oops:
Untitled.jpg

Also, they were unlucky
https://statsbomb.com/articles/soccer/borussia-dortmund-whats-gone-wrong/
[article]
opening half of the 2014/15 Bundesliga season:

our model had expected them to score almost 25 goals; however they only troubled the scoreboard operator 18 times.
Top5League.png

[/article]

And we were aware of it
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/magazine/soccer-data-liverpool.html

[article]
Graham spread out his papers on the table in front of him. He began talking about a game that Borussia Dortmund, the German club that Klopp coached before joining Liverpool, had played the previous season. He noted that Dortmund had numerous chances against the lightly regarded Mainz, a smaller club that would end up finishing in 11th place. Yet Klopp’s team lost, 2-0. Graham was starting to explain what his printouts showed when Klopp’s face lit up. “Ah, you saw that game,” he said. “It was crazy. We killed them. You saw it!”

Graham had not seen the game. But earlier that fall, as Liverpool was deciding who should replace the manager it was about to fire, Graham fed a numerical rendering of every attempted pass, shot and tackle by Dortmund’s players during Klopp’s tenure into a mathematical model he had constructed. Then he evaluated each of Dortmund’s games based on how his calculations assessed the players’ performances that day. The difference was striking. Dortmund had finished seventh during Klopp’s last season at the club, but the model determined that it should have finished second. Graham’s conclusion was that the disappointing season had nothing to do with Klopp, though his reputation had suffered because of it. He just happened to be coaching one of the unluckiest teams in recent history.

In that game against Mainz, the charts showed, Dortmund took 19 shots compared with 10 by its opponent. It controlled play nearly two-thirds of the time. It advanced the ball into the offensive zone a total of 85 times, allowing Mainz to do the same just 55 times. It worked the ball into Mainz’s penalty area on an impressive 36 occasions; Mainz managed only 17. But Dortmund lost because of two fluky errors. In the 70th minute, Dortmund missed a penalty shot. Four minutes later, it mistakenly scored in its own goal. Dortmund had played a better game than Mainz by almost any measure — except the score.
[/article]

I think in a way we are worse than that season's Dortmund. Our current pts is more or less fair indication of how we are performing.:oops:
View attachment 2477
Arsenal 8.3 points more than expected. United over 5 points more than expected. West Ham 11 points under expected !

If you're a PSG fan you'd have to be worried, that if it comes true QSI will not care too much for PSG

Its OK they probably have less than 100K supporters worldwide, it will be like a whisper. Us on the other hand......MASSIVE MOTHERFUCKERS !!!

So presume united fans would be happy having British tax dodger instead of an oil state.

Last edited:
I mean, it seems like we're acting like a professional beggar.

Quite clearly the Qataris leaked their interest to drive up hype among the fans, knowing that the prospect of signing more than one (or even...omg.. THREE:nailbiting:) players in a window would drive the fans crazy, and hoping that the hype and publicity would push #FSGOUT over the edge. (I'm all for this btw)

Alas they did not reckon with the immovable object that is John Henry's heart, or his reptilian skin.

James Pearce wins again...

Has James Pearce got any contacts at the club anymore though? He said that we had no interest in Nunes and that turned out to be spectacularly wrong.

No, everyone at the club realised long ago what a cunt James Pearce was and is so they told him to fuck off.

It's actually the reason why we moved to Kirkby, to make James think we were still at Melwood.

Is that a real blue tick, or a paid for stupid blue tick. I don't know how Twitter works anymore.

Pretty much as it has for the 20 odd years.

People talk shit, people retweet that shit and then people like that shit...some people may even respond to that shit with shit of their own.

I get what I'm trying to say is, it's shit,

Twitter was made to start arguments. Musk pointed that out recently. When you drag or respond angrily to a post, the algorithm figures you engage more with similar posts, so you get a whole ton of posts that disgust you coming your way. More anger, more posts.

Then some idiots think they've been shadow banned because their friends don't see their posts. More anger, more posts.

But the greatest hook ever by Twitter was making some dumb ass so angry he spent 44 billion to buy it even though it doesn't make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom