• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Club up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Henry confirms they will not sell. "Have we sold anything in the last 20+ years?"

"Are we looking for investment?" Yes.

When asked about the potential sale of the Merseyside club, he gave some very definitive answers.

“Will we be in England forever? No.

“Are we selling LFC? No.

“Are we talking with investors about LFC? Yes.

“Will something happen there? I believe so but it won’t be a sale.”

Sounds to me like we have cool owners that aren't going to sell us to the highest bidder. Investment is cool. Resisting selling our 130yr history/soul/integrity to a state run conglomerate in some kind of Faustian type deal is to be applauded imo.

Two phrases spring to mind here - Both I read on here but I can't remember who said them.

1) 'Well if it's a state run buy out I guess - If you can't beat them join them'

2) "If that does happen and the reds get sold to a state that beheads gay people - then I'd rather support Marine'

Personally I'm all in favour of option 2.

Last edited:
[article]

Liverpool's owner John Henry says he is not selling the club

By Mandeep SangheraBBC Sport
Last updated on1 hour ago1 hour ago.From the sectionLiverpool
_127544078_klopp.jpg

Liverpool owner John Henry (second left) with manager Jurgen Klopp
Liverpool owner John Henry says he is not selling the Premier League club, but does expect some investment.
Henry's Fenway Sports Group (FSG), which bought Liverpool in 2010, said in November it "would consider new shareholders" in the Reds.
FSG chairman Tom Werner later said the club's owners were "exploring a sale" but could continue their "stewardship for quite a while".
"Are we selling LFC? No," Henry told the Boston Sports Journal.
"Are talking with investors about LFC? Yes. Will something happen there? I believe so, but it won't be a sale."
The American was speaking in a question-and-answer session conducted over email.
FSG has been open to investment in Liverpool for several years, and has recently engaged Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs in that process.
"I know there has been a lot of conversation and quotes about LFC, but I keep to the facts: we merely formalised an ongoing process," said Henry.
His comments were published prior to Liverpool facing Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie at Anfield on Tuesday.
The Reds go into the game eighth in the Premier League having won their past two matches.
FSG bought Liverpool in a £300m deal following the controversial tenure of former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.
American basketball star LeBron James has been a part-owner of Liverpool since 2011 and has a 2% stake which cost him £4.7m.
He has since become a minor partner in FSG, which also owns baseball side Boston Red Sox.
In March 2021, RedBird Capital Partners, a private investment firm, bought a stake in FSG for about $735m (£533m

[/article]

Sounds to me like we have cool owners that aren't going to sell us to the highest bidder. Investment is cool. Resisting selling our 130yr history/soul/integrity to a state run conglomerate in some kind of Faustian type deal is to be applauded imo.

Two phrases spring to mind here - Both I read on here but I can't remember who said them.

1) 'Well if it's a state run buy out I guess - If you can't beat them join them'

2) "If that does happen and the reds get sold to a state that beheads gay people - then I'd rather support Marine'

Thecaecond one, I believe, is known as the Momo Option.

I know I am going to complain like anything after our summer transfers, but I prefer FSG to the unknown nation state owners. I also think FSG are better than most US based sports owners.

Haven’t you guys learnt anything yet? Trust in Momo. That cunt is always right.

So we're not being sold?

Fine.

As long they invest about 250m into the playing staff again in the summer. The squad is sorely lacking.
So we get 250m investment this summer... Buy 3 or 4 players.. What happens in 3 years time when fsg's lack of investment in the squad again? This will always be an issue as long as fsg refuse to put some of their own money into the club

Clearly they will have learnt the lesson that you have to invest when you are at the top. They will not make the same mistake twice ...and, to them, it's a situation easily avoided by not being at the top.
If you listen to what the Boston white sox fans are saying about fsg then I wouldn't be so sure...

So we get 250m investment this summer... Buy 3 or 4 players.. What happens in 3 years time when fsg's lack of investment in the squad again? This will always be an issue as long as fsg refuse to put some of their own money into the club

They will have sold the majority of the club by then I reckon. Arent they after a NBA franchise?

They’re not going to put “their own money in” they never were - and there’s no reason why they should.

Now, if you’d said - can they be a little less frugal and let the club run up some debt now that things are back to normal and the stadium upgrade is complete - then fine - although cheap rates are gone.

Id even be happy to sign a 5 year deal to call it… I dunno… Disney Anfield Stadium for £20m a year (that pays for Bellingham right there).

Besides - if FSG were to invest their own money - wouldn’t that be us doing exactly what City did and we’d become the cunts we accuse them of?

Reinvesting share capital would be different - if they ever have it to invest.

They’re not going to put “their own money in” they never were - and there’s no reason why they should.

Now, if you’d said - can they be a little less frugal and let the club run up some debt now that things are back to normal and the stadium upgrade is complete - then fine - although cheap rates are gone.

Id even be happy to sign a 5 year deal to call it… I dunno… Disney Anfield Stadium for £20m a year (that pays for Bellingham right there).

Besides - if FSG were to invest their own money - wouldn’t that be us doing exactly what City did and we’d become the cunts we accuse them of?

I'm not talking about funding us like. City and put 100m into the club every season but adding to the squad as needed... A partial sale will help for a season but I don't believe that if say they sell a 10% stake in us for 300-400m that all that money gets reinvested back into the club. Fsg have investors who will need their cut of the sale too...

I'm not talking about funding us like. City and put 100m into the club every season but adding to the squad as needed... A partial sale will help for a season but I don't believe that if say they sell a 10% stake in us for 300-400m that all that money gets reinvested back into the club. Fsg have investors who will need their cut of the sale too...

We need to flip players more, rather than hang on to them and squeeze every last drop out of them.

We need to find a way of making more money out of the youth system.

I agree, we can’t keep needing major investment every 5 years.

We need to flip players more, rather than hang on to them and squeeze every last drop out of them.

At least we know.... and see what happens in the summer. Does Klopp get the money he needs?

Issues also lay in this hanging out for over the valuations for players. We got lucky early on with clubs like sheff utd and Bournemouth paying stupid for players that they felt they could get that for everyone so we ended up holding on to dross like origi. Should have jumped at the 12m Leeds were rumoured to have been willing to play but we wouldnt budge on 15m

I feel like that is the key difference between FSG and some of our competitors. Spurs, United borrowed money at low rates to invest back in their playing squad. FSG refused to do so. I think they used the low rates environment to invest in a new stand and new training facility. I can understand that. When I talked to couple of my friends who run their own business, they all said that if money is available at low rates, then they prefer to use it for capital infrastructure expansions, not hiring more people.

My main complaint with them is get the backroom staff appointed and going. Let us start wheeling and dealing the way we used, targeting clever under the radar signings, and be a bit more decisive in selling players who are not working out. I dont think one can blame FSG alone for the last part but they have played a role in that.

Issues also lay in this hanging out for over the valuations for players. We got lucky early on with clubs like sheff utd and Bournemouth paying stupid for players that they felt they could get that for everyone so we ended up holding on to dross like origi. Should have jumped at the 12m Leeds were rumoured to have been willing to play but we wouldnt budge on 15m

Last season Origi scored some vital goals including last min winner at Wolves, so we sell for 12m and to forego what we almost did last season? Come on now, theres about 6 players who I would have of rid instead of Divock.

Last season Origi scored some vital goals including last min winner at Wolves, so we sell for 12m and to forego what we almost did last season? Come on now, theres about 6 players who I would have of rid instead of Divock.
Origi has scored a few useful goals indeed but overall he is a terrible footballer. I get That he has cult status and thats fine but a good footballer he is not. We would have sold him for 15m so for the sake of 3 million then ya we should have dropped our price instead of trying to play hardball and Leeds moving on...

I feel like that is the key difference between FSG and some of our competitors. Spurs, United borrowed money at low rates to invest back in their playing squad. FSG refused to do so. I think they used the low rates environment to invest in a new stand and new training facility. I can understand that. When I talked to couple of my friends who run their own business, they all said that if money is available at low rates, then they prefer to use it for capital infrastructure expansions, not hiring more people.

My main complaint with them is get the backroom staff appointed and going. Let us start wheeling and dealing the way we used, targeting clever under the radar signings, and be a bit more decisive in selling players who are not working out. I dont think one can blame FSG alone for the last part but they have played a role in that.

Yeah, I agree, once you come to terms with fact that FSG aren’t going plough gazillions of £££ into the club (or any £££ for that matter), then you can understand better what they are doing and where the mistakes are being made.

I don’t really understand why people hang on to money - is it just City envy?

You’re absolutely right though, if we are going to compete with a self funding model, then the player assessment & recruitment team, needs to be absolutely top drawer with whatever personnel and resources they need and someone needs to be making decisions - hard ones - on purchasing & selling.

We need to be better at buying, but more at lower prices, take some risks and we need to sell players (not all, just some) when we can get value to re-invest.

This needs to be backed up by business strategies to increase revenue (which it has been).

It’s not just on the field that we’re dysfunctional at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom