• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Club up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bain became key consultants at my previous company (big multinational CPU company whose name began with I). T'was many a layoff Bain drove ...

This is the problem, if we end up with investment owners they want to make money.

FSG will have made a large profit and sold the club at market value, how does an investor make money then? Just by siphoning money out of the club, the only big win left is to acquire the rights to show our own matches but who knows if that’ll ever happen.

We probably need a sugar daddy to bankroll the club for reasons other than making money to actually compete financially?

I think we need to bear in mind that as far as Private Equity owners go, FSG are pretty benign. Our complaints on here are typically about them not putting enough money into the club. That's not how typical private equity works - the Glazers at United are more what you would expect - load the company with a load of acquisition debt, take money out of the company on a regular basis, strip out inefficiencies and get the business running on bare bones.
If we are sold to another private equity buyer, that's what we should expect.
If we're sold to a sugar daddy who's going to plough money into the club, then we're likely to be having ethical quandaries about what our owners get up to in their spare time.
Personally, I'm quite happy with the status quo, but the quid pro quo is that we're not going to be able to compete with the financial might of City, or even Newcastle. But with good coaching and careful recruitment, we can still give them a game. It would just be nice if everyone else could do that too.

My fear is watching us slowly decline season on season, whilst watching the likes of City and the Barcodes getting stronger.

I'd take the money 'if' it's on offer.

I think that even If £4bn was put on the table It would be really hard for FSG to turn it down.
If you look at the way that they do transfers,their M.O. if you wish. It is to buy young players cheap, with a re-sellable value to fund future transfers.

Now that may have happened recently, but it is how they like to do business

So I can see them selling Liverpool, and re-investing £500 - £750M in a new club in France, Italy, Spain or Portugal, some where nice and warm all year round, unlike England

That's how I see it

I think that even If £4bn was put on the table It would be really hard for FSG to turn it down.
If you look at the way that they do transfers,their M.O. if you wish. It is to buy young players cheap, with a re-sellable value to fund future transfers.

Now that may have happened recently, but it is how they like to do business

So I can see them selling Liverpool, and re-investing £500 - £750M in a new club in France, Italy, Spain or Portugal, some where nice and warm all year round, unlike England

That's how I see it

Like they give a fuck what the weather is like in Liverpool.

Like they give a fuck what the weather is like in Liverpool.

Correct and there aren’t any clubs in France, Spain or Portugal that are likely to grow to a multi-billion dollar team from a £750m investment.

There might be a couple in Italy.

Correct and there aren’t any clubs in France, Spain or Portugal that are likely to grow to a multi-billion dollar team from a £750m investment.

There might be a couple in Italy.

I believe that you are wrong, But regardless of that, Club in those countries seem to have a lot more young and up coming players wanting to play for them that go on to be sold for larger sums of money than clubs in England.

Maybe FSG would have to wait a bit longer for those clubs to grow their market value, but the potential is there all the same, and the potential for buying talent cheap and reselling at a vast profit is more regular than the EPL

All I want is Klopp to be on a level playing field with Pep.

That means our squad value/investment over the last 10 years needs to catch up to theirs.

Which probably means giving Klopp 500m to pad out the squad.

I want to get to a place where Harvey Elliott is essentially our "Cole Palmer". Or Thiago is struggling to get into the side ahead of Bellingham.

There is no "catch up".

If our owners/new owners gave Klopp another 500m, City owners would invent new sponsorship deals to give another 1b. They will continue to do whatever it takes to stay ahead financially. As they have for the last 15 years.

It's unwinable without a sugar daddy willing to take them on with financial doping. Not happening.

People getting carried away... No buyers have come forward and until then, £100m net spend, £200m net spend are pipe dreams. Even if we find a buyer, the sale will take months, so Klopp will have diddly squat in Jan.
We are fucked (for this season)!

People getting carried away... No buyers have come forward and until then, £100m net spend, £200m net spend are pipe dreams. Even if we find a buyer, the sale will take months, so Klopp will have diddly squat in Jan.
We are fucked (for this season)!
Booooooooo!

If there is a will to do so, a transaction can be done quickly. In my M&A days I worked on a near £5bn takeover deal which was done in 10 days. The target was a public company, so much more diversely owned than FSG's ownership of LFC. Chelsea could have been done a lot quicker without all of the sanctions. Remember, FSG themselves didn't muck around when they took over the club, all done pretty quickly (although admittedly it was clearly a bargain so the valuation aspect was moot).

If there is a will to do so, a transaction can be done quickly. In my M&A days I worked on a near £5bn takeover deal which was done in 10 days. The target was a public company, so much more diversely owned than FSG's ownership of LFC. Chelsea could have been done a lot quicker without all of the sanctions. Remember, FSG themselves didn't muck around when they took over the club, all done pretty quickly (although admittedly it was clearly a bargain so the valuation aspect was moot).
That's the exception than the norm right? What's usually the time scale? I'm listening to a journalist who is saying a quick sale is 9 months and the average sale takes 18 months
FSG will do what's right for them as oppose to what's right for the club

That's the exception than the norm right? What's usually the time scale? I'm listening to a journalist who is saying a quick sale is 9 months and the average sale takes 18 months
Yes, the exception, but it's possible. And US buyers (likely favourites) don't tend to spend ages doing due diligence.
At the same time as that deal was going on, Hicks and Gillett were snooping around the club (if I hadn't started on the P2P the day before I'd have been on the H&G deal). That was in November and they finalised their deal in February (so it was done in three months, despite interest from DIC at the time).
It doesn't need to take 9-18 months and my sense is that if FSG have made a decision (they still haven't confirmed that) then they will be happy to move quickly.

It's not a matter of either/or. What's not right for the club will likely reduce its value and with it FSG's return on their investment.

This will fizzle out into a non-story until a buyer comes forth In 18 months time won't it?

Yes, the exception, but it's possible. And US buyers (likely favourites) don't tend to spend ages doing due diligence.
At the same time as that deal was going on, Hicks and Gillett were snooping around the club (if I hadn't started on the P2P the day before I'd have been on the H&G deal). That was in November and they finalised their deal in February (so it was done in three months, despite interest from DIC at the time).
It doesn't need to take 9-18 months and my sense is that if FSG have made a decision (they still haven't confirmed that) then they will be happy to move quickly.
If its a quick deal how much do the merchant banks charge vs a deal that takes months?

So if I said the merchant banks will charge between $50m-$100m would that be the right ball park?
Don't know to be honest, I was usually on the buy side of the deals so we didn't see details of the sell-side fees. The merchant banks / corporate financiers on the buy side wouldn't be getting anything like that kind of fee (probably only 10-20% of that).

I don't necessarily believe that "democracy" is always a good thing though. There's an assumption that it is and that it's the only way. There's also an assumption that all autocratic regimes are inherently bad. I don't believe that's the case either.

Countries that practice democracy are largely under the thumb of the US/UK/Europe. And they get bullied for resources and trade deals.

Look at my continent Africa and what "democracy" has done to it. What we really needed is a benevolent, intelligent dictator/regime because there is far more theft/crime/disease/poverty in countries with democracy than there are countries under an "autocratic regime". (I've been to UAE/Middle East and they're FAAAR more organised/advanced than we are in Africa).
It's just the reporting of such things, by a Western media, is often skewed, to make one believe that it's only people in these regimes that are suffering in some way. There is good democracy and bad democracy, just like there are good autocratic regimes and bad ones.

Where would most people feel safer? Qatar/Dubai (where you could literally leave your wallet unattended at a bar) or in democracies like South Africa/Nigeria, where you can't walk drive down certain streets at night for fear of getting robbed/killed.

Was Iraq better before or after, they were liberated under the flag of democracy? How about Libya? The US "liberated" them from Gaddafi. Their country is absolute mess right now, since then.

Like I said, I think there's an arrogance in the West, that its way of life is the correct one, and anyone not following so, is somehow unethical.

In terms of Liverpool, I take your/Mystic point on sports-washing (but even that I find a little assumptive that that's what they must be doing). And I also can see that there's certainly going to be a media backlash if we did take money from a regime that wasn't allies with the UK/US. Previously Russian money was "ok" with Usmanov/Ambramovich. Now Russian money is the worst thing in the world. I find it funny how these things change so quickly, according to Western media and the political agenda/climate.

Democracy needs capitalism to work. Economic prosperity is a pre-requisite. But Capitalism will always try to eat up and corrupt democracy. So it's a dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom