• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Combine the two latest CL winning teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
2005 team:
300px-Milan_vs_Liverpool_2005-05-25.svg.png

[xtable=cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=colspan:3}Substitutes:{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}GK{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td} Scott Carson{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}DF{/td}
{td}17{/td}
{td} Josemi{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}MF{/td}
{td}16{/td}
{td} Dietmar Hamann{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
46'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}MF{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td} Antonio Núñez{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}MF{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td} Igor Bišćan{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}FW{/td}
{td}9{/td}
{td} Djibril Cissé{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
85'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}FW{/td}
{td}11{/td}
{td} Vladimír Šmicer{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
23'{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

2019 team:
300px-Tottenham_Hotspur_vs_Liverpool_2019-06-01.svg.png

[xtable=cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=colspan:3}Substitutes:{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}GK{/td}
{td}22{/td}
{td} Simon Mignolet{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}GK{/td}
{td}62{/td}
{td} Caoimhín Kelleher{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}DF{/td}
{td}6{/td}
{td} Dejan Lovren{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}DF{/td}
{td}12{/td}
{td} Joe Gomez{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
90'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}DF{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td} Alberto Moreno{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}MF{/td}
{td}7{/td}
{td} James Milner{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
62'{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}MF{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td} Adam Lallana{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}MF{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td} Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}MF{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td} Xherdan Shaqiri{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}FW{/td}
{td}15{/td}
{td} Daniel Sturridge{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}FW{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td} Rhian Brewster{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}FW{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td} Divock Origi{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}
10px-Sub_on.svg.png
58{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

My combo (4-3-3 line up):

Alisson

Trent
[bcolor=#00ff00]Hyypia[/bcolor]
Van Dijk
Robbo

Fabinho
[bcolor=#00ff00]Alonso[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#00ff00]Gerrard[/bcolor]

Mane
Salah
Firmino

I’m not going to argue with your team.
Yeah, I think that would have to be it, wouldn't it?
The most balanced team imo.
Loved Finnan and he was better defensively than Trent is but he ultimately misses out.
Henderson or Wijnaldum are in with a shout for Fabinho's spot but we need a real DM in there.
Hamann was great, but in 2005 he was close to retirement. A peak Hamann would challenge Fabinho, but it's still not that close.
No competition upfront from the 2005 team.

Pretty much although it is a very what I'd call a "stiff" midfield.

Finnan was fantastic for us and Riise 1 of my all time favourite ex-players but Robbo flying up and down that wing gives us far more of a threat and a better balance.

Would have been relegated in the premier league.

Champions League Winners... the lot of them.

Unlike the current Man City, Man Utd and Spurs teams.

Rafa could do with some winners like these at Everton.

The only 2 XI Lallana gets into is the "Sexy fuckers" XI and the "Fuck sakes Gaff, I'm injured again" XI

Other than Gerrard and Hyypia, no one else gets in the 2019 team for me.

If we are talking about the team that lost the CL final in 2007 then it's Mascherano and Gerrard.

I will have Xabi, Dirk Kuyt and Carra in the squad but they will not start.

Hyppia was one of my favourite players but with VDV we have someone on the left who is dominant in the air so Hyypia seems redundant. I'd keep Matip because he's a very good all-rounder and gives you an option on the ball.

My first instinct was to put both Gerrard and Alonso in. Gerrard there is no question about. Alonso, however, as much as I reeeeeeeeeally want to put him in, I wonder if Fabinho covers off just enough of what Alonso offers that having a more mobile "water-carrier" like Gini gives the midfield more balance.

Hyppia was one of my favourite players but with VDV we have someone on the left who is dominant in the air so Hyypia seems redundant. I'd keep Matip because he's a very good all-rounder and gives you an option on the ball.

My first instinct was to put both Gerrard and Alonso in. Gerrard there is no question about. Alonso, however, as much as I reeeeeeeeeally want to put him in, I wonder if Fabinho covers off just enough of what Alonso offers that having a more mobile "water-carrier" like Gini gives the midfield more balance.

You know we will probably do a kind of Hamann-Alonso combo in midfield this season with Fabs and Thiago. Just like we ended last season, so I think it'll work out.
Henderson will get to play further forward maybe.

Things might be different over a whole season but, if I were picking the team for a one-off game against top opposition, Finnan at his best would get in ahead of Trent. There's creativity in plenty elsewhere in the team, besides which Finnan was no slouch going forward himself. Ask me again in a few years' time and hopefully I'll be able to take a different view by then.

Alisson

Trent
Carragher
Van Dijk
Robertson

Gerrard
Alonso
Fabinho

Mane
Salah
Firmino

Very close between Carragher, Hyypia and Matip. I went for Carragher because I think he would play better with Van Dijk than Hyypia, and also because if it was a tough game (as it was in 2005, less so in 2019) we'd need a bit of a battler.

Was toying with either Wijnaldum or Henderson ahead of Alonso, but Alonso's quality just edges it.

The forwards pick themselves.

Alisson

Trent
Matip
Van Dijk
Robbo

Fabinho
Gini
Gerrard

Mane
Salah
Firmino

==

Pretty simple, tbh.

I think you must have missed the latest newsflash - now that Gini has left us, he has been reinvented as being total shite, and wouldn't even make it into tn an Accrington Stanley reserve 11

I think you must have missed the latest newsflash - now that Gini has left us, he has been reinvented as being total shite, and wouldn't even make it into tn an Accrington Stanley reserve 11

There was me thinking Gini had suddenly become the best player we ever had and we’re doomed having let him ever depart.

Finnan was a superb right back, wasnt he. Particularly when it came to the defensive side. He fitted the Rafa system perfectly, since it relied on wingers for width rather than full backs.

Indeed, and he was equally good on the left when we needed to switch him over there. Very much an unsung hero.

Finann was reasonably well liked and well thought of at the time so not sure about being an unsung hero. He's probably been forgotten to an extent because whilst he was good, he was just that - "good".

As Finnan doesn’t make the team! He’s a hundred times the defender Trent is and that team wouldn’t need his attacking ability with Gerard.

With the narrow three up front, I'd say having Trent and Robbo playing is a priority.
Dreamy, could you point me to a defensive stat that shows Finnan being 100 times better at defending than Trent please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom