• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Comolli the bellend wins unfair dismissal !

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RedZeppelin III

TWO days after he was sacked by Liverpool, Damien Comolli boarded a plane to the South of France. The timing of the flight was significant.
“I made sure I took off when Liverpool kicked off in the FA Cup semi-final versus Everton. I couldn’t watch that,” he said. “I landed in Nice, saw the texts that they had won. I saw Andy [Carroll] had scored the winner.
“It’s not one game, good or bad, that would let me think we were right or wrong. You have to look over the length of their career.”
In his role as director of football, Comolli oversaw an estimated £110million spending spree as Liverpool aggressively pursued Champions League football. Buying time for himself – and others – proved elusive. It is eight months since he left the club, soon to be followed by former manager Kenny Dalglish. Carroll has been loaned out, Charlie Adam and Craig Bellamy have departed, Stewart Downing will leave if a buyer can be found in January, and Jose Enrique, Jordan Henderson and Sebastian Coates have had doubts raised against them.
Uruguay striker Luis Suarez, recruited for a reputed £18m from Ajax, remains the shimmering central figure of a revolution that simply failed to revolutionise. The exodus does not reflect well on the Comolli-Dalglish era and the Frenchman is under-standably defensive. He is speaking publicly for the first time since winning an employment tribunal against the club for unfair dismissal, a case he says he did not want to bring. “First of all, you need to look at the big picture,” he said.
“We did 26 deals and to think we wouldn’t make any mistakes in such a huge number of deals in and out would be totally unrealistic.
“I do not think we made any mistakes on the players going out and whether we made mistakes on the players who came in, time will tell. I am very uncomfortable for players to be judged after six, eight or even 12 months. Sometimes it takes two or three years.
“In two or three years you can say, ‘Damien and Kenny, you were wrong’. Or you can say, ‘They just needed time’.”
Comolli supports his argument with the example of Gareth Bale, signed while he was director of football at Tottenham and for whom it took 24 games spread over three seasons before he was part of a winning side for the club. The difficulties Luka Modric initially endured at Spurs [he subsequently left for Real Madrid with his status and value drastically enhanced] are another example.
There is also the improvement both Enrique and Henderson have shown of late to consider. Yet the British-record £35m deal for Carroll remains the transfer cited to exemplify financial excesses under owner John W Henry’s Fenway Sports Group.
“If you want to talk about the Carroll deal, the situation was quite clear,” says Comolli, whose work at Arsenal under Arsene Wenger and then Spurs attracted him to Liverpool’s owners.
“The way we looked at it, we were selling two players – Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel – and we were bringing two in – Suarez and Carroll – and we were making a profit and the wage bill was coming down considerably as well. It was a four-player deal.
“Chelsea kept bidding higher and higher for Torres. The difference between their first and final bid is double. They [FSG] asked me what the risks were and I said if things don’t go well you’ll lose something on Andy, but it is difficult to measure whether you will make money if things go well because Liverpool aren’t a selling club and he could be here for the next 10 years.”
Plenty of mud has been slung, but Comolli maintains progress was made during the 18 months he spent on Merseyside.
“The big turning point was the game against Arsenal the week after we won the Carling Cup,” he said. “We thought that if we could win, anything would be possible. We missed a penalty and lost in injury time. That was a summary of our season. But you were still looking at progress. Look at the academy. We signed fantastic young players, the owners said it was exactly what they wanted, but I kept saying it was a five-year plan.
“Getting a trophy in year one; getting to the final of the FA Cup; financially we were in a very good position – we managed to lower the wage bill a lot. The owners were delighted with that.”
But a remedy for the lack of goals that undermined the club’s prospects was being sought. Comolli will not divulge the names but what he says supports the informed speculation that linked the likes of Demba Ba, Olivier Giroud and Shinji Kagawa with Liverpool at the time.
The plans would remain in cold storage, however. Before he left, it was obvious to Comolli there was disquiet over Dalglish, who was eventually sacked in May.
“I went to Florida in March to stay at John Henry’s house for three days,” he said. “They weren’t happy about the fact we were not scoring enough goals. They thought we were not playing enough positive football. Tom Werner [chairman] said, ‘Do you think Kenny is the right person?’ I said, ‘Definitely’. John Henry agreed with me at the time.”
That Liverpool is in the past still grates, though Comolli is keen to pursue a fresh adventure. He has been linked with replacing Dan Ashworth at West Brom, but keeps his counsel.
“I still struggle a lot to watch Liverpool. I’m frustrated and annoyed because I feel there is unfinished business,” he said.
“When you look at the economic situation that the leagues in Spain, Portugal, Belgium and Holland are in, it is very tough.
“With their new TV rights deal the Premier League is going to absolutely take off and leave everyone else behind, except maybe Germany. The future is very much here.”

fuck me , we can't even sack this usless git properly!

Ok seriously....was it Kenny again? Henderson before Goetze? Downing before Mata?

Tony Barrett
Published at 12:01AM, December 14 2012

Damien Comolli has broken his silence over his dismissal by Liverpool with an admission that he remains “frustrated” and “annoyed” at the way his brief tenure as director of football was brought to an abrupt end.

Comolli was removed from his post in April, with Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman, adamant that it was “time to act”, having determined that the Frenchman “was not the right person” to implement the strategy that the club’s owner, Fenway Sports Group (FSG), had put in place.

Privately, FSG cited misgivings over Liverpool’s transfer policy under Comolli’s direction, with their chief accusation being that he had failed to achieve value for money in a number of transactions, most notably the £35 million deal that resulted in Andy Carroll moving to Liverpool from Newcastle United in January 2011.

Comolli, though, maintains that judgment was passed far too early and selectively, with insufficient time being given for Jordan Henderson, José Enrique, Stewart Downing and the like to prove their worth and not enough credit being given for signing Luis Suárez, from Ajax, in particular. Comolli recently won a wrongful dismissal case against Liverpool, having reluctantly taken his former employer to court. FSG flew Ed Weiss, its American-based general counsel, to Merseyside for the tribunal, but his costly trip did not prevent it from settling in Comolli’s favour.

But eight months after he was ousted, the 40-year-old’s sense of disappointment remains, not only as a result of the way he feels he was treated but also because of FSG’s decision to dispense with the services of Kenny Dalglish in May, despite the Scot guiding Liverpool to Carling Cup success and the FA Cup Final in his first full season as manager second time around.

“First of all you need to look at the big picture,” Comolli said. “We did 26 deals, and to think we would not make any mistakes in such a huge number of deals in and out would be totally unrealistic. I don’t think we made any mistakes on the players going out, and whether we made mistakes on the players who came in I think, first of all, time will tell.

“I am very uncomfortable for players to be judged after six, eight or even 12 months. Sometimes it takes two or three years. In two or three years you can say, ‘Damien and Kenny, you were wrong.’ Or you can say, ‘They just needed time.’

“I don’t know if my reputation has been damaged by what happened. I speak to people and they ask, ‘What about that deal?’ I explain and they say, ‘OK, I see where you’re coming from.’ ”

John W. Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, has gone on record saying that the fee for Carroll was dependent on how much Chelsea paid for Fernando Torres, with Liverpool seeking a £15 million profit, which they secured, on the two transactions. But with Carroll spending this season on loan at West Ham United, having failed to live up to his transfer fee, it has put pressure on Comolli to justify the most expensive signing of his own career.

“If you want to talk about the Carroll deal, the situation was quite clear,” Comolli said. “The way we looked at it, we were selling two players, Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, and we were bringing two in, Luis Suárez and Carroll, and we were making a profit and the wage bill was coming down as well. It was a four-player deal.

“Chelsea kept bidding higher and higher [for Torres], until we got to a point where the difference between their first and final bid was double. They [FSG] asked me what the risks were and I said that if things don’t go well you’ll lose something on Andy, but it is difficult to measure whether you will make money if things go well because Liverpool aren’t a selling club and he could be here for ten years.

“They asked Kenny and myself if we were happy to do the deal. We said ‘yes’ and they said they were happy to take the risk because Fernando had to go.”

Comolli missed Carroll’s most significant contribution as a Liverpool player because of his decision to fly home to France two days after losing his job. Instead of being at Wembley for the all-Merseyside FA Cup semi-final against Everton, Comolli was on a flight to Nice and was not even aware that Carroll had scored the game’s decisive goal until he landed and turned on his mobile phone.

“I made sure I took off when Liverpool kicked off in the FA Cup semi-final versus Everton — I couldn’t watch that,” he said. “I landed in Nice, saw the texts that they had won. I saw Andy had scored the winner. I thought, ‘We know he is a good player, but we will see where he is in a few years.’ It’s not one game — good or bad — that would let me think we were right or wrong. You have to look over the length of their career.”

Even as Liverpool were celebrating at Wembley, Dalglish’s future as manager was in doubt, with FSG’s dissatisfaction over a struggle for goals leading to questions being asked of their manager’s ability to take the club forward.

“I went to Florida in March to stay at John Henry’s house for three days,” Comolli said. “They weren’t happy about the fact that we were not scoring enough goals. They thought we were not playing enough positive football, so we had a discussion about that.

“Tom Werner said, ‘Do you think Kenny is the right person?’ I said, ‘Definitely.’ John Henry agreed with me. Kenny deserved longer and I told that to the owners many times. I never felt it [sacking him] was the right thing.”

The plans that Comolli and Dalglish had for this season — Shinji Kagawa, Olivier Giroud and Demba Ba are understood to have been their main transfer targets as they sought greater firepower — did not come to fruition and Comolli regards that as a missed opportunity, particularly given the progress he feels had been made.

“We had three players lined up,” he said. “One player who could play attacking midfield and on the right, with a very good scoring record, and we had two strikers. It was up to us to pick one. We knew where we were looking. The big turning point was the game against Arsenal the week after we won the Carling Cup. If we could win, anything would be possible. We missed a penalty and lost in injury time.

“But you were still looking at progress. Look at the academy. We signed fantastic young players, the owners said it was what they wanted, but I kept saying that it was a five-year plan.

“Getting a trophy in year one, getting to the FA Cup Final, I think financially we were in a very good position. We managed to lower the wage bill a lot. The owners were delighted with that. I still struggle to watch Liverpool. I’m p***ed off, frustrated and annoyed because there is unfinished business.”

Comolli has had job offers since his 17-month stay at Liverpool, but he awaits an opportunity that suits him and he believes that his future lies in the Barclays Premier League, which he expects to go from strength to strength in the coming years.

“When you look at the economic situation that the leagues in Spain, Portugal, Belgium and Holland are in, it is very tough,” he said. “With the new TV deal, the Premier League will take off and leave everyone behind, except maybe Germany. The future is here.

“I’m not talking about money for myself. I’m talking about the ability to run the club, scout good players, have good facilities and being able to sign good players thanks to those resources. I’ve been talking to clubs in different countries, but staying in the Premier League would be ideal.”

Comolli on Luis Suárez “Suárez is an incredible player. Suárez is in a group of players behind Messi and Ronaldo. If you take those two out of the frame and then consider how much we could have got for him then he is in that second group of players. He is a top player, a top person. It is rare to see someone who creates as much as he does and scores as many as he does. When we signed him I said he is a 15 to 18-goals-a-season player in the Premier League, but then he will give you so much more in terms of what he creates.”
Comolli on the partnership that never was — Suárez and Torres “If you look at the stats, Luis scored 41 in 44 games with Ajax before we bought him. I knew that was not going to happen in England with anybody. We never saw him as a finisher who would replace Fernando. I kept saying to Fernando ‘stay here, we are signing a very good player who is going to play with you,’ but he said he was going anyway. I said ‘you want more support, we are bringing a top player who will create for you’ but it didn’t matter. But we signed him to play with Fernando and I would have loved to have seen those two play together.”
Comolli on Jordan Henderson “I am convinced with what Jordan Henderson has done at Sunderland, with the under-21s and also at training there is so much more to come from him. He has so much ability. Time will tell. I am comfortable with Jordan all the way.”

What a fucking prick.

How can you come out with shit like that after the disasters of Downing and Carroll?

What a shithouse. But, I would love to know how responsible him and Kenny were for the players coming in, IF and a big IF, Kenny told him he wanted the whopper-team-3 at all costs of carroll, downing and henderson, then I'm not sure how comolli is to blame, except maybe he should have haggled to get them a bit cheaper.
It does seem the king is immune to criticism for those wank transfers, and all the bile goes towards Comolli and FSG usually.

I think most of the blame has to go to Comolli. Kenny might have liked Downing or Carroll as players, but what made those deals so disastrous are the obscene amounts we paid for those players. And negotiation was solely Comolli's responsibility.

Sure, every scout makes mistakes. The problem with Comolli was that he didn't have any inkling of a coherent long-term strategy. The owners have set the course long time ago - focus on young undervalued players; minimize risk, maximize reward. Comolli has done exactly the opposite. Maximum risk, minimum rewards. Break a bank on a player based on a single hot scoring streak or a single strong season. This is staggering incompetence and it should be probably immortalized in textbooks for future football executives as an example how not to conduct a transfer campaign.

He should never get another job in anything related to football, negotiations or money.

Now, I'm one of if not the biggest Henderson supporters on the site, but please to god tell me we couldn't have got Goetze instead of him?!

Yet he was right, Dalglish was utterly fucking useless.

Fuck off, he wasn't utterly useless....yeah he did spend a fuck load of cash and didn't get int othe top 4 but he won us a trophy and got us to another final. He was attempting to move us forward but you won't see it as for some reason you despise him....

What a fucking prick.

How can you come out with shit like that after the disasters of Downing and Carroll?

Quite. His attempt to justify Carroll's price tag is pathetic as well. "It was a four player deal." No Damien, it was a one player deal. First we sold Torres for £50 million, then you allowed Newcastle to bend us over and fuck us up the arse. The end.

Commoli was, in broad terms, a disasterous appointment. However, not everything he did was shit.

Excellent/Good Category
Suarez - Out of this World (yes, he was on the radar under Rafa but he did close the deal and did so for what now looks like the deal of the friggin century)
Enrique - Good
Deadwood - Did a good job in getting rid of a ton of shit on the books
Torres sale - Excellent deal for the club. Got £50 mil for a player whose best years were 2-3 years ago.

Average/Unsure
Henderson - As yet, meh, but could be a good signing
Coates - Has generally looked ok

Crap, Mental, Useless
Caroll - Rubbish (in the context of what we paid)
Downing - By far the worst signing we have made since Diouf. Overpriced pile of shit.
Adam - Had a few decent games for us but other than that never a Liverpool player.

All in all his record was shit with one outstanding purchase.

Tbh the best thing Comolli did (if he deserves the credit, but let's assume for now) apart from Suarez was continuing to sign some very good youngsters, namely Ibe, Ojo, and Sinclair.

I've never really been convinced that he did such a great job clearing the deadwood. Most of them were given away for free, or worse, on loan - we're still lumbered with Cole. Big fucking deal.

Crap, Mental, Useless
Caroll - Rubbish (in the context of what we paid)
Downing - By far the worst signing we have made since Diouf. Overpriced pile of shit.

I would swap the descriptions of those two around

Anyone else who hires this chancer is a fucking moron.

You could have given a ten year old fan £100M and they would have spent it better than Damien.

Whoever it was who decided to bring back Bellamy on a free - that was a good deal. Not that it mattered too much in the greater scheme of things but it often gets omitted when talking about transfers/signings for last season. Given that Bellamy did a good job for us, his return deserved a mention.

After FSG had concluded their initial review of the squad and the spending record, they decided they wanted rid of mediocre foreign deadbeats, they wanted to beef up the squad with British talent and they wanted the best youth prospects brought in. In terms of what British talent was around and available at the time, I don't think it was outrageously questionable to go for Carroll, Downing and Henderson. What FSG did after that was to ask the man they had assigned to get these players to judge if the manager was worth keeping. Then they sacked their man and pledged their support for the manager. Then they sacked the manager and - via Ayre - briefed the press about their regrets at signing British 'crap'. Then they got a young manager in, stitched him up in the transfer window and then went and hid. Are they above criticism for what happened? No they're fucking not. You could think more coherently than them if you went outside on to your lawn with a stick and ran round in a circle until you were dizzy, then banged your head against a wall and fell on the dog.

After FSG had concluded their initial review of the squad and the spending record, they decided they wanted rid of mediocre foreign deadbeats, they wanted to beef up the squad with British talent and they wanted the best youth prospects brought in. In terms of what British talent was around and available at the time, I don't think it was outrageously questionable to go for Carroll, Downing and Henderson. What FSG did after that was to ask the man they had assigned to get these players to judge if the manager was worth keeping. Then they sacked their man and pledged their support for the manager. Then they sacked the manager and - via Ayre - briefed the press about their regrets at signing British 'crap'. Then they got a young manager in, stitched him up in the transfer window and then went and hid. Are they above criticism for what happened? No they're fucking not. You could think more coherently than them if you went outside on to your lawn with a stick and ran round in a circle until you were dizzy, then banged your head against a wall and fell on the dog.

They make this football management shit up as they go along.

Thank god I've got Ryan on ignore, otherwise this thread would probably be much longer and more irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom