• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Coutinho's position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Trequartista or Winger?

I'm starting to think that Rodgers will want to position Coutinho on wing, considering that we're being linked with a couple of attacking midfielders.

Personally I think he belongs in the middle.

Thoughts?

Depends on whether suarez is here or not. If he is then definitely on the wing with licence to roam into the middle when required. If not, then i'd play him behind sturridge with the licence to roam all over the pitch like suarez.

Trequartista definitely, especially if we're signing Aspas and Alberto, it reduces the room in the three front positions. I think the mentioned second AM purchase might be in terms of rotation and to allow him to shuffle Coutinho's position as and when (I'm sure he'll still cover the left role), he also likes to "flip" the triangle, so it gives him the option of having two in behind when he needs to. I guess this means Gerrard will revert to the deeper role and Shelvey and Suso will go on loan.

McDermott always played that role throughout his career. Cut out the nerdiness. Coutinho is quite reminiscent of McDermott, which is a great compliment.

We will have to ask Allen, constantly, where he would like Coutinho to be positioned at all times, so he can pick a pass without fail.

2046747_o.gif

Trequartista....hahahaha. Fuck off. He'll play behind the striker is what the right term should be. If you'd have called Stevie that when he played behind Torres he'd have decked you in a pub!

Actually a classic trequartista (advanced playmaker, as opposed to a deep-lying playmaker) can be positioned on a wing, they don't need to play squarely in the middle. Coutinho is a trequartista, whether he plays on the wing or not.

He only got into the number 10 role late in the season cos Suarez was suspended, otherwise he'd have stayed out on the left wing.

I can see him floating between left of a 4-2-3-1 and the number 10 depending on who we're playing, whether Suarez stays, if we're at home, and who we buy.

I still have my doubts as to whether he can really cut it in the heat of a #10 role against top top quality opposition.

Jesus football is being made more and more complicated with more focus on positions and formations than ever before.

He's fine starting on the left as long as he has Enrique or another workhorse constantly overlapping him, as well as other forwards and midfielders willing to move into all sorts of positions. He'll easily find room to cut inside.

His starting position doesn't really matter, it is how he effects the game when he has the ball that matters. I would expect him to roam wherever he wants to enable him to pick passes, shoot or simply create space for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom