1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Crouch to Portsmouth

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by LFC Barry, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squiggles

Squiggles Guest

All things considered, that would be a good deal. He's twice the goal-threat Kuyt will ever be so I shall be sorry to see him go, but seeing as Benitez is unfamiliar with the term I'm not in the least bit surprised.

2. Roger REDerer

Roger REDerer Active Member

We have been banging on about shipping the dross out of Anfield for ages......

Crouch is one of them. He has had his chances and to be honest, we have been very impatient with him. Remember his barren spell not too long ago ? 18 matches without scoring was it ?

If we're to inch closer towards the top 3, we have to be ruthless. No more average shite.

Thank you for your contribution Crouchie but goodbye, you're (one of) the weakest link.

3. manwithnoname

manwithnoname Bravo old man. Bravo. Member

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=22280.msg534381#msg534381 date=1207498877]

He's twice the goal-threat Kuyt will ever be so I shall be sorry to see him go

[/quote]

Yes, the facts certainly back that fucking statement up, what with Crouch's BEST EVER PREMIERSHIP TALLY IN HIS ENTIRE FUCKING CAREER BEING 12.

Which, incidentally, is Kuyt's best-ever tally. Delivered in his first ever season in the Premiership.

4. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

8 million is good for us, thanks Harry and goodbye Crouch.

5. manwithnoname

Not even stone-age Amazonian headhunters say "You are the weakest link, goodbye" anymore, you fucking cretin.

6. Wizardry

Wizardry Very Active Member

[quote author=vantage link=topic=22280.msg534379#msg534379 date=1207498708]
    [quote author=Wizardry link=topic=22280.msg534304#msg534304 date=1207492747]
    My heart says he's not good enough but my head is still not convinced. He was by far our best for the first 45 yesterday and has done very well for us when given the chance.

Having said that, Rafa clearly doesn't rate him and he must wonder what he needs to do given Kuyt has been placed ahead of him constantly, irrespective of form.

As for the price - well, it's about 1m above what we got him for so you've got to be pleased - particularly when we all said we'd been conned to pay that amount to begin with.
    [/quote]

Kuyt has played ahead of him because of the new formation. Crouchie cannot play on the left or right of a 3, (we tried it once) and no-one will forgive Rafa if he changes the formation again, or moves Torres.
    [/quote]

True, Crouch can't play on the left or right - despite Rafa trying it out a couple of times. As you say that pretty much strikes him out for the current formation. Let's not kid ourselves, though, that we've been playing this formation all season. We played 4-4-2 plenty of times and Kuyt has been the 2nd striker despite being in dire form and Crouch scoring whenever given the chance.

7. Roger REDerer

Roger REDerer Active Member

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=22280.msg534497#msg534497 date=1207509807]
    Not even stone-age Amazonian headhunters say "You are the weakest link, goodbye" anymore, you fucking cretin.
    [/quote]

Sue me you prick.

8. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=22280.msg534491#msg534491 date=1207509569]
    [quote author=Squiggles link=topic=22280.msg534381#msg534381 date=1207498877]

He's twice the goal-threat Kuyt will ever be so I shall be sorry to see him go

[/quote]

Yes, the facts certainly back that fucking statement up, what with Crouch's BEST EVER PREMIERSHIP TALLY IN HIS ENTIRE FUCKING CAREER BEING 12.

Which, incidentally, is Kuyt's best-ever tally. Delivered in his first ever season in the Premiership.
    [/quote]

By the kind of goals they score, it's a bit obvious who is the better finisher.

His record this season is still good compared to how many starts he's had, 7 league starts/3 goals, 4 FA Cup starts/2 goals, 7 EU starts, 4 goals. Kuyt's scored the same amount of goals in the league, in how many starts?

9. RolandG

RolandG King Ding-A-Ling Member

Crouch is a great player but doesn't last the 90 minutes and has been woeful most times he has started. He has great quality without a doubt. Off the bench he is a good impact player but the lad deserves more.

His problem at the moment is that Rafa has found a formation that wins us games. He is unlikely to change the formation which has obvious implications for Crouch. Peter has england ambitions so its fairly straightforward where his future lies.

10. Digsyy

Digsyy Active Member

What england aspirations??? I thought England are not in the Euros....I'm amazed at how all footballers looking for regular football will clamour for a move on the basis of turning up for their national teams....when in reality no one has really turned on conistent good performances for the Three Lions in ages.

11. RolandG

RolandG King Ding-A-Ling Member

It does sound hollow but Crouch doesn't need an excuse if he wants to move on. All he has to do is reject the extension offered and request a transfer. There'll be plenty of takers.

12. manwithnoname

[quote author=digsy link=topic=22280.msg534789#msg534789 date=1207558961]
    What england aspirations??? I thought England are not in the Euros....I'm amazed at how all footballers looking for regular football will clamour for a move on the basis of turning up for their national teams....when in reality no one has really turned on conistent good performances for the Three Lions in ages.
    [/quote]

I think that's a side-issue. The fact remains that most footballers want to play football, and while there is always the hope that things will turn around, if you aren't getting games and doesn't look like changing, you have a decision to make.

Look at Defoe.

I fully respect and understand Peter Crouch wanting to leave in order to play more games, and to be honest I'd expect nothing less from a person like him. He knows it's unlikely that he'll ever play for a bigger or better club than Liverpool, but sometimes that's just not enough.

13. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever Looking on the brightside Member

He still has 1 in 2 from prem starts this season.

He's a great threat in Europe and is a different option.

I wouldn't sell him.

14. Digsyy

Digsyy Active Member

But is it worth the risk to keep a disgruntled unhappy player who's coming to the last year of his contract when we could cash in now?? Perhaps this is a result of our switch to Rafa's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation and Torres succes.....I think we could have some problem attracting in a top striker who wouldn't mind playing second fiddle to Torres.

15. Rosco

Rosco Worse than Brendan Honorary Member

16. Vlads Quiff

Vlads Quiff Well-Known Member

A realist with a great attitude, best of luck to the lad.

regards

17. Oncy

Oncy Guest

I'll be disappointed if he leaves, but will live with it if the money helps our title tilt next year.
    I also wouldnt strengthen Pompey, Everton, Citeh or Spurs.

18. Fabio

Fabio Former mod, consistent c*** Honorary Member

I'll miss the lad, I think that even though he hasn't been the most prolific of men he's given us (to use a cliche) a new dimension that some defenders just cannot handle. I'll miss him, because worst case scenario he could come on and change the game, and we don't overly have an impact player like that without him

19. manwithnoname

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=22280.msg535878#msg535878 date=1207637321]
    I'll be disappointed if he leaves, but will live with it if the money helps our title tilt next year.
    I also wouldnt strengthen Pompey, Everton, Citeh or Spurs.
    [/quote]

Spurs? As if he'd get any more games there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.