• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Danny Ings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ings and another wouldn't be bad, but given we play with one out and out striker, it's unlikely unless we flog the other three and buy a versatile attacker who can play across the frontline. As said, most would rather see us pay for out and out proven "class".

Yeah, but we don't have to play with only one up all the time and if you want the option of 2 up front you need 4 forwards to promote competition, cover injuries and rotate.

Sturridge, (big summer signing), Ings & Origi is a decent lineup.

Lallana, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic providing the attacking thrust,

Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Can anchoring the midfield..I'd take that.

BBC going with this story that we're likely to sign him now with the lease back for the rest of the season. Surely we could just send Borini or Lambert the other way till the summer?

[article=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31054584]By Ben Smith
BBC Sport
Liverpool will attempt to sign Burnley striker Danny Ings before Monday's transfer deadline.
Manager Brendan Rodgers is willing to loan the 22-year-old back to Sean Dyche's side for the rest of the season in order to complete a deal.
Ings, who is in the final six months of his contract at Turf Moor, has attracted interest from Tottenham and Real Sociedad.
Burnley, however, want to keep him until the end of the season.
Liverpool would still have to pay a fee even if they signed Ings at the end of his contract, as he is under 24.
The striker, who has been capped at England Under-21 level, moved to Turf Moor from Bournemouth in August 2011 for a fee of around £1m.
He has scored seven Premier League goals this season, having struck 21 times in the Championship last term as Burnley won promotion by finishing runners-up to Leicester.[/article]

Bollocks we aint got the money or Budget

Increased revenue, and transfers we made including 200k a week freed up from selling Suarez alone..

A lot of I agree is down to our position.. but If a high profile manager was at the helm in the summer with the money we had. You probably would of seen a difference in Personel..

Im not saying Rodgers out.. Im saying in reality that is just the way it is...

Increased revenue, and transfers we made including 200k a week freed up from selling Suarez alone..

A lot of I agree is down to our position.. but If a high profile manager was at the helm in the summer with the money we had. You probably would of seen a difference in Personel..

We've got the money, but we don't always offer it, sometimes we do, but then the other reasons let us down.

Burnley's midfield for the last 2 seasons has lacked creativity (last season the right back Trippier had almost as many assists as the 4 main midfielders!) and yet he still managed 26 goals (and plenty of assists himself) in 45 games. This season, despite their midfield being below the required standard for the EPL he has still managed 7 goals and 3 assists. I'm quite confident he'll score a hatful playing in front of the likes of Lallana, Markovic, Sterling etc.

I think he could become a huge star but I'm not 100% convinced which is why I've always said we shouldn't go above £8m. The fact that it looks like his fee will be £3m makes this a no-brainer.

I also want us to sign another top-level forward next summer; I haven't seen Lacazette play but I've seen plenty of you mention him, so if we went into next season with Lacazette*, Sturridge, Origi and Ings I reckon that would be the best forward roster in the EPL.

*If QPR get relegated I wouldn't mind us signing Charlie Austin instead of Lacazette. Austin and Ings or Sturridge together would be superb.

I think it does influence players thinking but there are only a handful of managers whose reputation alone will have a meaningful impact on a players decision and even then it might only be relevant for a certain group and for a certain period of time (i.e. Rafa had a lot of sway with Spanish players for a while because of what he achieved with Valencia. Now? Probably not so much).

Take last summer. Who would we have had to have in charge in order to have secured someone like Sanchez?

The flipside is City getting a fairly unhappy Robinho to sign with Mark Hughes in charge.

In my eyes we are signing a striker who offers a significant improvement on current squad members (be it Borini or Lambert) and given we are likely to offload one or both in the summer it makes sense to replace them with a better player.

Like most i'm hoping there is that other 'superstar' signing somewhere, maybe it is a striker, maybe it is an attacking mid but if we keep making transfers that improve the quality of the team then I'm ok with that.

Burnley's midfield for the last 2 seasons has lacked creativity (last season the right back Trippier had almost as many assists as the 4 main midfielders!) and yet he still managed 26 goals (and plenty of assists himself) in 45 games. This season, despite their midfield being below the required standard for the EPL he has still managed 7 goals and 3 assists. I'm quite confident he'll score a hatful playing in front of the likes of Lallana, Markovic, Sterling etc.

I think he could become a huge star but I'm not 100% convinced which is why I've always said we shouldn't go above £8m. The fact that it looks like his fee will be £3m makes this a no-brainer.

I also want us to sign another top-level forward next summer; I haven't seen Lacazette play but I've seen plenty of you mention him, so if we went into next season with Lacazette*, Sturridge, Origi and Ings I reckon that would be the best forward roster in the EPL.

*If QPR get relegated I wouldn't mind us signing Charlie Austin instead of Lacazette. Austin and Ings or Sturridge together would be superb.

The only way these type of players generally become stars is if they go through a mid-tier club first and play week in, week out. At Liverpool he would surely find himself on the bench a lot and shunted around different positions getting a game where he can.

Burnley will get paid regardless of whether he leaves now or at the end of the season. Why let him go now?

And he won't get much of a look in with Sturridge back fit for the rest of the season.

The only way these type of players generally become stars is if they go through a mid-tier club first and play week in, week out. At Liverpool he would surely find himself on the bench a lot and shunted around different positions getting a game where he can.

Yeah it's hard to think of a top club who bought anyone for under £5m who has gone onto great things BUT it used to happen a lot....Keegan, Clemence, Neal, Heighway etc. Those days have long gone but I don't know why, there is still an abundance of talent in the lower divisions and I don't know why the top teams have to wait for these guys to play their way thru the divisions.

Obviously we wouldn't be signing Ings from a lower division but it's still a bargain-basement transfer and I'm delighted about it. Hopefully if he signs and proves a success we'll do our own scouting in the lower divisions rather than wait for others to unearth the gems and we end up paying inflated prices.

Having Ings, Origi and Sturridge and add one quality attacker that can play in different positions would be great imho. Lacazette would be perfect in that regard. Shame about him is that Aulas value him highely and PSG are interested. He'll cost a shitload.
But if we sign that type of versatile quality forward this summer along with Ings, Sturridge and Origi, than attacking wise it looks very bright.

The one striker upfront argument doesn't quite work though, as we'll play different tactical set ups and be involved in 50-55 games per season. Sturridge is also made of snow and glass. We need options.

'In reality' that 200k a week freed up by Suarez's departure was swallowed up (and more) by a raft of new players (Lallana/Markovic/Can/Lambert/Moreno/Manquillo/Lovren) earning a collective whole lot more than 200k a week.

We've also got a stadium expansion to finance.

It's not rocket science for fucks sake..

Yeah it's hard to think of a top club who bought anyone for under £5m who has gone onto great things BUT it used to happen a lot....Keegan, Clemence, Neal, Heighway etc. Those days have long gone but I don't know why, there is still an abundance of talent in the lower divisions and I don't know why the top teams have to wait for these guys to play their way thru the divisions.

Yes. I think some of it has to do with the lack of any real 'orientation' period in a competitive reserve side these days. Keegan was obviously an exception, but generally we bought players who'd already got first team experience at lower league level, then got them used to the Liverpool style in the reserves (who in those days played in a pretty competitive league of their own), then eased them into the team. Most of the time these days we get them so young it's wildly hit or miss.

'In reality' that 200k a week freed up by Suarez's departure was swallowed up (and more) by a raft of new players (Lallana/Markovic/Can/Lambert/Moreno/Manquillo/Lovren) earning a collective whole lot more than 200k a week.

And we're already under investigation for FFP

Don't let facts get in the way of RedNinja's bullshit agenda.

Reactions: C/O

There is also the FFP situation to be aware of

And we're already under investigation for FFP

Yep.

Given our current commercial turnover, need to develop the stadium and FFP demands, we're surely on the right track in developing younger players over the next few years.

No likely marquee signings for us in the short-term.

Yep.

Given our current commercial turnover, need to develop the stadium and FFP demands, we're surely on the right track in developing younger players over the next few years.

No likely marquee signings for us in the short-term.

Agreed. Bar maybe one when we're replacing Gerrard. That will have to be someone of the marquee type signing.

I think people's attitudes to signings (the need for them to be marquee, inspiring, statements of intent etc) is a direct result of Sky's coverage of the sport.

The entertainment v sport argument that was made in another thread essentially

Aguero, Dzeko, Bony and Jovetic would still be better. As would Rooney, RVP, Falcao, and Wilson. And Wellbeck, Sanchez, Giroud and Sanogo. And probably Costa, Remy, Drogba and whomever else.

I don't think Brendan Rodgers likes the idea of buying a big name player.

He wants to buy a no-name player and build them up because that's what he's known for and because it syncs with his ego.

A big name player would detract from his managerial genius and make him look poor if he fails.

It's Arsenewengerism.

I had that attitude/problem too, when I thought we were going to sign him last summer it was pretty depressing. Then we signed Ricky Lambert which cured everything. I'd be more than happy with Ings now.

Aguero, Dzeko, Bony and Jovetic would still be better. As would Rooney, RVP, Falcao, and Wilson. And Wellbeck, Sanchez, Giroud and Sanogo. And probably Costa, Remy, Drogba and whomever else.

I'll give you the first one (City's front 4) but RVP is fast-fading force, Falcao hasn't looked like the pre-injury Falcao yet and Wilson is all about potential at this stage. Neither Wellbeck or Giroud are particularly good and Sanogo looks like a dud so far. Costa is top level but Drogba will be 37 next season and Remy is meh.

I would take Origi, Sturridge, Ings and one other top level forward ahead of all those bar City's.

If the guy has a bit of pace, a good touch, scores and works hard he's an instant improvement on what we have. For 3m, sure why not. We'd probably get 5-8m selling him on as he's English (a premium) and a proven goalscorer in the Championship at least.

Sturridge, Origi, Ings (+ if we go all out for Benzema type; or even a Pogba type for the midfield replacing Gerrard). I'd be happy with that front line.

I have an idea. Since you are clearly ignoring my attempts to cure you of this ill, would it be possible to use your considerable IT skills to have any instances of "would of" automatically change to "would have"? If so, I would recommend implementing this feature on all of the computers you use, for all applications.

Not particularly enthused by the choice of player. But forgetting that, why on earth are we buying him to loan him back?

It's as if we don't have the need for a striker now.

You always look at things in the most negative way possible when it comes to Liverpool, and ignore some key and sometimes factual elements.

As someone has already touched on..Van Persie is a fading force, still a match-winner but he's 32 next season and injury/fitness issues will kick in. Wilson's a kid and we don't know how he'll turn out. Unless something miraculous happens, Falcao won't be at United next season either.

At Chelsea, Drogba is coming 37 so i don't think he can ne counted to make a big impact.

Welbeck is good and i rate him but he's hardly one you can rely on to score 20-25 every season. Sanogo reminds me of David N'gog...I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom