• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Danny Wilson to Blackpool (Loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
Liverpool defender Danny Wilson has today joined Championship side Blackpool on loan.

The 20 year old, who signed for the Reds from Glasgow Rangers in July 2010, has signed a youth loan, which will keep him at Bloomfield Road until the end of the season.

Wilson becomes the second Liverpool player to make a temporary move to Blackpool this season following on from Jonjo Shelvey's successful period there earlier in the campaign.

Good move. Hopefully he'll do as well there as Shelvey did.

To be fair he's not going to be getting games for us any time soon

About time.

From Blackpool offal:

Liverpool defender Danny Wilson is to join the Seasiders on loan until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old, who started his career at Rangers, is a full Scotland international and has made a total of nine appearances for the Reds since signing in July 2010.

The former SFA Young Player of the Year 's move to Bloomfield Road will become official once the January transfer window opens. The deal includes a recall option but Wilson has been given permission to play in the FA Cup.

Great deal for Wilson. I do wish it was Coates that had gone on loan as I think he has a better future a head of him. Im still looking forward to a Wilson-Coates central defence in two years time!

[quote author=Mystic link=topic=48086.msg1452773#msg1452773 date=1325341449]
Great deal for Wilson. I do wish it was Coates that had gone on loan as I think he has a better future a head of him. Im still looking forward to a Wilson-Coates central defence in two years time!
[/quote]

I do wish everyone would stop forgetting that Kelly is actually a CB.

[/quote]

I guess Coates will probably only move out on loan when he has picked up English? At least at Liverpool he has the support to bed him in to the environment and country.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=48086.msg1452805#msg1452805 date=1325342707]
[/quote]

I do wish everyone would stop forgetting that Kelly is actually a CB.
[/quote]
+1

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=48086.msg1452897#msg1452897 date=1325350124]
good move for the lad.
[/quote]

Yep. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up making it permanent in the summer.

Yep, starting to think that he isn't good enough.

Coates should definitely not be sent on loan, he's needed as back up for "Skagger".

He'll probably play against Oldham.

I think sending them to Blackpool is a great idea to be honest. It saves players having to move houses, means they can stay settled and they play with an incredibly passionate manager who can bring the best out of even shit players. Blackpool can't defend for shit, so Wilson might be thrown in the deep end.

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=48086.msg1452955#msg1452955 date=1325353251]
I think sending them to Blackpool is a great idea to be honest. It saves players having to move houses, means they can stay settled and they play with an incredibly passionate manager who can bring the best out of even shit players. Blackpool can't defend for shit, so Wilson might be thrown in the deep end.
[/quote]

If he isn't thrown in at the deep end... given that he was a regular at Rangers... then... let's face it.. he's done.

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway hopes that Danny Wilson's arrival from Liverpool will help make the Seasiders more secure at the back.

The 20-year-old defender, who met his new team-mates for training on New Year's Day, has moved to Bloomfield Road on loan until the end of the season.

"He's a very, very good defender and as we look at where we want to get to, we've got to stop goals going in," the manager admitted. "He was bought for something like £5 million and I'm delighted that Liverpool are intrusting me with him."

Wilson could make his debut in tangerine against Middlesbrough tomorrow afternoon, kick-off 3pm.

0,,10432~10349124,00.jpg

Danny Wilson has revealed that Jonjo Shelvey and Charlie Adam played key roles in persuading him to join Blackpool on loan.

The defender, who has moved to Bloomfield Road from Liverpool until the end of the season, spoke to the two former success stories prior to agreeing a move.

The Scotland international now hopes to follow in their footsteps by shining as he looks to get valuable game time under his belt.

"I spoke to Jonjo and I spoke to Charlie as well and they both recommended that I come here," he told the official website. "It was important for me to come here and try and get some games.

"I've not played regular football for almost 18 months now and I've been in and out which can be frustrating. There are no guarantees coming here but I just need to work hard and hopefully take my opportunities when they come along."

The 20-year-old watched the game against Middlesbrough on Monday as an unused substitute after just one training session with the Seasiders. He now hopes to impress the manager in training and win a place in the starting line-up.

"The game against Middlesbrough probably came a bit too early but hopefully I can get involved in the next one.

"The manager needs to see me and I need to familiarise myself with the players as well, so hopefully in a couple of sessions I'll be involved. The two centre-backs kept a clean sheet against Middlesbrough though so it's not going to be easy," he added.

Wilson could potentially make his debut for the club in the FA Cup tie at Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

From Dowie's column in Independent

Weather puts the wind up me

My dad was a sailor and he used to say there is no power like the power of the sea because the wind gets hold of it.

He was on a 150-ton ship once that was tossed around like a cork. But if he thought that was frightening, then he should have been at our training ground last week.

Our pitches are on a piece of land about 100 yards from the beach in Blackpool and there have been galeforce winds buffeting us all week.

We got sent a load of new FA Cup footballs which are a bit lighter than the normal League balls, and the first training session they all blew away.

It is also freezing. Our new player Danny Wilson, a defender on loan from Liverpool, turned up without a wet top. I'm expecting him to ring in sick with pneumonia next week. That'll take some explaining to Kenny Dalglish.
:p

Blackpool defender Danny Wilson believes he is reaping the benefits of regular first team football at the club.

The 20-year-old, on-loan from Liverpool, made his fifth appearance of the campaign at Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night, on the back of an assured showing in last weekend's win over Cardiff.

But with Ian Evatt returning from suspension and Craig Cathcart likely to figure, competition for places is at an all-time high and he won't be taking a third consecutive start for granted.

"They'll be hoping to get back in the side and I could be on the bench or not involved at all, there is that much competition for places," said Wilson.

"It's always good though. You have to be at your very best to get in the side at the moment and I will have to accept whatever decision the manager makes.

"I'm feeling a lot better on the pitch - that was my fifth game now in a matter of weeks, rather than two in about five months at Liverpool, so I've felt the benefit.

"My match fitness is there and it's taken a few games to get it back but when you know that you have it, it gives you confidence."

Wilson initially built his reputation as a ball-playing centre-half at Rangers, something that has made his transition to Blackpool's free-flowing style all the easier.

"The football here is suiting my game perfectly. I'm a defender who likes to play the ball out from the back and the manager encourages us to do that,"
Wilson added.

"It's good to watch for supporters and it's a style that is working well for us at the moment because we're winning football matches.

"We put on a quality performance on Tuesday night and everybody wants to keep kicking on now and we're all confident that we can finish high up the table.

"In the last few weeks we've had to score goals in the last minutes of games and in an ideal world we'd be in control of things a lot earlier on.

"But we can't afford to get complacent, we have to stay focused and give it our all."

Islam Feruz has been named in Scotland's Under-21 side for the forthcoming friendly with Italy.

The 16-year-old Chelsea forward has been fast-tracked to Billy Stark's team, having impressed since his move to London from Celtic in the summer.

Feruz has appeared regularly for the English Premier League side's Under-18s squad, while also featuring on occasion for the reserve side.

Celtic's Dylan McGeouch, who featured as a substitute in his team's Scottish Cup semi-final defeat to Hearts at the weekend, and Rangers midfielder Rhys McCabe have also won call-ups.

Dundee United trio Stuart Armstrong, Johnny Russell and Gary Mackay-Steven are also in the selection, as is Liverpool defender Danny Wilson. Huddersfield Town striker Jordan Rhodes has been rested.

Scotland will play Italy at Easter Road on Wednesday, April 25 with a 7pm kick-off.

SQUAD IN FULL

Goalkeepers: Grant Adam (Rangers), Matthew Edwards (Rochdale), Mark Ridgers (Hearts).

Defenders: Paul Hanlon (Hibernian), Ryan Jack (Aberdeen), Ross Perry (Rangers), Clark Robertson (Aberdeen), Lewis Toshney (Celtic), Danny Wilson (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Scott Allan (West Bromwich Albion), Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United), Liam Kelly (Kilmarnock), Rhys McCabe (Rangers), Dylan McGeouch (Celtic), Kenny McLean (St Mirren), Liam Palmer (Sheffield Wednesday), David Wotherspoon (Hibernian).

Forwards: Islam Feruz (Chelsea), Alex MacDonald (Burnley), Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United), Michael O'Halloran (Bolton), Johnny Russell (Dundee United).

_44641341_laurie3_226.jpg

Islam Feruz, ye say? A strange name for a Scotsman...

Refugee from Somalia:

When the Feruz family arrived to Scotland illegally they were set for deportation, but the late Tommy Burns, then in charge of Celtic 's youth development, spotted Islam`s talent and managed to convince the Foreign Office to let his family stay. During the years Islam proved that Burns knew what he was fighting for.

Islam made headlines in Scottish football at the tender age of 12, having played well above his age group for both club and country. He starred in the Victory Shield for Scotland as a 13 year-old and trained with Celtic's first team later that same season, featuring in an end-of-season testimonial.

DANNY WILSON is about to be bossed by an old Swan — now he hopes he’ll get the chance to spread his wings at Liverpool.

The former Rangers defender was flying back from Bulgaria with Scotland’s Under-21s on Friday as Brendan Rodgers was being unveiled as the Reds’ new manager.

Wilson was gutted when Kenny Dalglish was sacked, after the Scotland legend played a huge part in the club signing him in July 2010.

But after a frustrating time since quitting Ibrox for Anfield, the stopper wants to shine in pre-season and finally make his mark.

Wilson, who was farmed out to Blackpool for the second half of last season, said: “We have a lot of players coming back from loans and they’ll be looking at this as a chance to impress a new manager.

“Brendan Rodgers plays the kind of football I like to play, getting the ball and building from the back.

“Whether the new manager thinks I’m one of the players he’d like to bring forward is down to him. I just want to show him what I can do.”

With a season left on his Anfield deal, Wilson could quit if Rodgers does not indicate he’ll be a part of his plans.

The 20-year-old said: “I don’t know what’s going to happen, as there has been nobody at Liverpool to talk to, with both the manager and the director of football leaving.

“I’ll just go back and be ready for next season and if I’m included then great.

“If not, I’ll look somewhere else to get some football.

“It’s been strange as I went to Blackpool to play and I did that for the first ten games.

“Then I didn’t play any football after that and I really don’t understand why.

“There’s no self-doubt in me as I know what I can do.

“If a manager tells me I’m not playing, it doesn’t make me think I’m a bad player as it’s just his opinion.”

Some people might feel Wilson would have been better off staying at Rangers, but that’s not a view he shares.

He said: “I still feel I’ve improved as a player and I want to take that forward.

“There are no regrets because I needed to move at the time and I’m happy I did.

“I have one year left on my contract but I don’t know what’s going to happen as there has been nobody at Liverpool to talk to with both the manager and the director of football leaving.

“I’ll just go back and be ready for next season and if I’m included then great. If not I’ll look somewhere else to get some football. The new manager plays the kind of football I like to play which is about getting the ball and building from the back.

“But Liverpool have a lot of players who are more than capable of doing that. Whether the new manager thinks I’m one of the players he’d like to move forward with is down to him. I just want to show him what I can do.

“Until I go back to Liverpool then I don’t know what will happen and I’ll need to see how things develop.

“The thing about being a young player is you need an opportunity and if you’re not getting that then it’s going to be difficult. You can only try to do your best.”

The exit of Dalglish last month left Wilson saddened.

He said: “It was a blow as I really liked Kenny as a manager and as a person. But the club felt a change was needed and we’ll all need to move on.

“I haven’t spoken to him since he left but he’s quite a private man and I just assume he’s trying and get away from it all. But I’m sure I’ll speak to him when the time is right.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom