• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Del Piero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
I know he's 37, and I think he should probably retire - no better way to end your career - but if available, why not sign him? He still makes great runs, still takes great set pieces, still scores goals and is class. If we're going to get rid of many of our elder players this summer, players like him could help lessen the burden on the kids.

The 37-year-old forward will become a free agent when his contract with Juventus expires after Sunday's Coppa Italia final against Napoli.

The World Cup winner has spent the last 19 years in Turin, breaking numerous records along the way.
He will, however, be forced to look elsewhere for games if he plans on prolonging his playing career.
Del Piero has no intention of hanging up his boots just yet and is confident he can still operate at the highest level.

He admits he would relish the opportunity to test himself in the Premier League and has already been linked with Arsenal, Tottenham and Queens Park Rangers.

The former Italy international claims no agreement has been reached with any club as yet, but it is being reported in his homeland that he is mulling over offers from England.

"England is a place where the football is so good, but I have still not agreed anything with a club," said Del Piero.

Yes please. 1 season, not mad wages, plays off a front man.

Plus I'd get his name on my shirt.

You just know he wouldn't be able to hit a barn door from a set piece, the moment he set one foot through the door.

A very fine footballer indeed, but after the Aquilani fiasco I'd need a lot of persuading to sign another Italian, even this guy.

Is he only 37? It feels like he has been playing for ever.

Unless we are buying a 3rd striker elsewhere we need one, and he'd do the job very well. A conditional yes.

Gary Mac was our Gary Mac. You mean he could be our next Gary Mac.

I'd love it if we could get him. He'd improve our forward line straight away! An incredibly skilful and intelligent player he is.

The article posted here was heavily edited though, he's considering clubs in the States first & he's already had talks with some of them, that IMO is his most likely destination.

10 replies and not one "he could be our Gary Mac" yet. Surprising.

He's too old for that ... but I would have been so happy to have signed Raul and him as freebies. They're smart enough, and good enough, to contribute plenty.

Del Piero is one of my all time favourite footballers.

Extremely classy, a technical genius, always fair and then he scores the most awesome goals. Always.

And he'd make us look so much better too. Literally speaking.

Look where we fucking finished. You think sticking 37 year old on the pitch will improve our fortunes?!

Not to mention hes never played over here and probably has no inclination to learn the language or want to play over here given how fruitfull his career has been.

Im sure hed compliment any of the top 3s squads well enough but we cant afford to go for anything other than worldies this summer ( yeah,yeah hes still got it etc)

"never played here" isn't something that bothers me ... The players we signed last year who 'played here' showed how important it is.

I'm scared of saying that after Fergie said the same thing about Fergie.

You mean Adam? I was playing off that quote.

I like Del Piero. I'm not sure that getting him would be a good idea. You need to see the wider plans for the summer to see how he'd fit in.

That said, the likes of Pirlo and Pirlo have shown that they can still contribute after their clubs decided they needed new blood. I wonder if Del Piero will fall into that category.

That said, the likes of Pirlo and Pirlo have shown that they can still contribute after their clubs decided they needed new blood. I wonder if Del Piero will fall into that category.
You mean Dupont and Dupont?

Ok, stop mocking me! ;)

and yes, I meant Adam.

If we don't have a lot of money, we need to follow your strategy re: signings, but back it up with GOOD freebies (Del Pierro I think falls into that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom