• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Derry City Football Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogboy

Well-Known
Derry_City_FC_logo.png

Let’s commence at the most appropriate place, the beginning;

Derry City F.C. were founded in 1928 out of the ashes of the defunct Derry Celtic FC which had folded in 1913. The years between the demise and foundation of the two clubs could be attributed to many historical events; the First World War, the turmoil following the Easter Rising, Civil War and partition of Ireland (which would lead to two football leagues – the IFA (Northern Ireland) and the FAI (the Republic, obviously). The founders of Derry City F.C dropped the ‘Celtic’ as they believed that this would alienate the Protestant population of the city and therefore undermine their determination that the club would be a non-sectarian entity, an ethos that still holds true today.

Stadium,
The club has been based at the Brandywell Stadium since 1929. The stadium itself now boasts such facilities as two covered stands, one primarily for season ticket/away fans, one for directors/sponsors etc. another seated area open to the elements and nothing much at both ends (oh, we have got a large screen on the back of a lorry at one end), two small toilets and the piece de resistance…a dog track around the diameter of the pitch. Eat your heart out at that Camp Nou et al.

Early Years,
In their first season in the Irish League (Northern), DCFC (allez allez allez), finished an admirable 5th. An early hero was Jimmy Kelly who scored an astonishing 218 league goals between 1928-1952 along with 193 in other competitions. Kelly had trained at Anfield, although I’m not sure if he played a senior game there.
In 1934 DCFC changed their colours to their now traditional red & white striped shirts, black shorts with white socks, this was in tribute to the then manager Billy Gillespie who had played for Sheffield Utd. This lead to the nickname of ‘The Candystripes’
In 1949 the club won the Irish Cup for the first time beating Glentoran 2-1. This was notable for Jimmy Kelly being taken off for concussion only to be sent back on 15 minutes later, remember there was no subs at this stage.
The 50s and 60s saw ups and downs as a club. The team played well in the cup competitions and then they finally won the Irish League for the first and only time in 1965, this was the conclusion of a 47 game unbeaten run.

60s-1985
Aaaaah ‘The Troubles’, (I’ll not go into the politics!). The Brandywell area of the city is in a Republican area. This combined with tensions between rival supporters/Police/British Army etc etc lead to crowd trouble with Linfield FC in particular refusing to play at the ground. The IFA forced DCFC to play their home games against Linfield at their ground of Windsor Park, this is in a staunchly Protestant area of Belfast. In 1972 the hijacking of Ballymena Utds team bus was unconnected to the club but if culminated with the IFA demanding that DCFC played their home games at Coleraine, 30 miles away. As you can appreciate this proved unsustainable. DCFC applied to IFA to return to the Brandywell (Police had now deemed the stadium no more dangerous than any other in the country). The IFA put it to the vote of the other clubs; Derry City lost the vote 6-5. On Friday the 13th of October 1972 the club withdrew from senior football.

DCFC applied to play in the Republic’s League of Ireland. The IFA (probably bored with DCFCs annual application to rejoin the league) relented and agreed that DCFC should be licensed to the FAI (keep up at the back!).
In that year they won the First Division Shield. The following year they won promotion to the Premier Division.
In 1989 the managerial nous of Jim McLaughlin secured the club a majestic Treble of the League, the FAI Cup and the League Cup, I’m nearly in tears just thinking about it!
These teams included the international flare of Serbian (then Yugoslav) Alex Krstic, Brazilian Nelson da Silva and the genius of South African Owen da Gama.

2000 – now
In 2000 the club was hit with a tax bill of 180k. The club and the city (which can be apathetic towards the team) rallied. Co founder of the SDLP John Hume used his political clout as a result teams such as Barcelona, Real Madrid and, ahem Man Utd played friendlies which helped boost the coffers. Of note, The Undertones played a free benefit gig, the team runs out to the sound of ‘Teenage Kicks’.

Recent successes/catastrophes

In 2005 under the stewardship of Stephen Kenny DCFC finished 2nd in the league having lost a winner takes all final day of the season game against eventual winners Cork City.
This lead to the participation in the 2006 UEFA Cup. Glory days indeed, Derry beat the twice winners of the competition IFK Gothenburg 2-0 on aggregate. DCFC then beat Gretna (don’t laugh, Gretna at the time were bankrolled by a multi-millionaire) 7-3 over two legs, including a blistering strike you can find on YouTube from Kevin Deery. The club were then handed a somewhat difficult draw against the mighty PSG. Having held the European Heavyweights to an outstanding 0-0 at the Brandywell (the PSG players must have found the facilities a delight!). City didn’t embarrass themselves in the away tie, succumbing 2-0.
On the flip side Derry had been doing what is now probably known as a ‘Rangers’, namely playing some players dual contracts, and as a result, were relegated to the First Division, quite rightly to. To his credit Stephen Kenny and most of his side stayed intact, and with the introduction of some new blood they won the title and are now duly back in the top flight. We, along with the vast majority of Irish sides, North and South, are skint!

Legendary players? Amongst others,

Top goalscorer (in FAI times) was the stupendously talented Liam Coyle, a man who could have played at the top level if he didn’t have knees made of chalk. In the abovementioned game vs Barcelona he left tangle haired Charlie Puyol sitting on his arse.

Mark Farren, striker. Mark was diagnosed with a brain tumour and was out of the game for about a season and a half. He subsequently had the tumour removed and is happily back playing with the club. He wore one of those Petr Cech head guards for a while discarding it as soon as he could. Why does Cech still wear his?

Paddy McCourt, who despite his dribbling skills sadly has spent the last few years sitting on the Celtic bench.

Daniel Laverty, a young talented left back who joined Burnely last season.

James McClean. Someone who Liverpool should’ve taken a chance on at the start of last season. A gifted left winger who puts everything he has into making it to the highest level in football. Sunderland bought him for something ridiculous like 190k with other appearance fees built in.

Players to look out for – Stephen McLaughlin, left wing/striker. Ryan McBride, centre half.

Our new manager this season is Declan Devine, it’s been pretty average so far but we’ve no money and a young side. I’ll update a few of the recent results soon.

Last nights result. Another home game another 3 points go begging. Beaten 1 - nil to Cork City who have just been promoted this season. City had enough chances to win the game but a combination of poor finishing, good defending and bad luck found us out, sounds familiar eh? Oh and Ryan McBride was sent off.

Bloody hell, beat again, this time by Drogheda Utd who are 2nd in the league. This despite Derry going 1 up through a ten second penalty.

Great result for us and a momentous achievement for Mark Farren at the weekend. The result leaves us at the semi final stage of the FAI cup. Mark may have been the story but we've got another star in the making,

Barry McNamee who was outstanding in midfield.

I'll let todays Football365 take up the story.

Final Word On The Weekend
This column may be focused on the Premier League, but the story of the weekend occurred in Ireland where Mark Farren became Derry City's all-time leading goalscorer after bagging a hat-trick in the 7-1 FAI Cup quarter-final win over Mervue United. Farren's achievement in usurping Liam Coyle, who famously left Carles Puyol on his arse when Derry played Barcelona at the Brandywell in 2003, is particularly special considering he previously retired from the game after it was discovered that he had a brain tumour. His recovery from illness and return to full fitness is a remarkable story, made complete by the 30-year-old's record-grabbing performance on Friday.

Another home fixture another defeat, this time going down 1-2 to UCD (University College Dublin). Tactics and players both shocking.

Thanks Dogboy, interesting read. A few of the guys I played with in the Irish Universities teams years back are floating around the Irish league, so I try and keep an eye out now and again.

My wife is from Strabane & her dad was a big Derry City fan (the rumour is he deflected from Finn Harps when Derry were admitted into the League of Ireland).

He took me to a match when I was over on a visit around the late 80's (not sure the exact year, but it was in August and they were due to play Benfica a week or two later in UEFA or European Cup). Anyway the match I went to was a cup game (league cup equivalent I think) against Finn Harps, that Derry won 6-1 (or similar). Two things I remember vividly :

1) The terracing I was stood on in the first half was not much more than scaffolding (second half the home corwd all migrated to the other end)

2) One of the goals was a classic OG - defender had the ball and the DC striker was blocking off the back pass to the keeper (in the days it was legal). So the defender, tried to be clever & chip the ball over the striker to the keeper ... only he also chipped the keeper and placed it perfectly into the back of the net.

I really thought that was a unique own goal, a product of lower league football the like of which I would never see again, until - step forward one Ronnie Whelan at Old Trafford to do exactly the same thing and reduce our 2 goal lead for a nervy final 10 minutes. So I got to see the same own goal in two massively different stadiums :)

My brother in law still follows Derry CIty, and now I live in Clare I recall being able to take the piss when Limerick beat them in a cup game ... about 10 years ago I think

Thanks for reading folks.

Ryan - any players you want me to keep an eye on?

Tom - the 80s were our hayday(s) (sound like another team?). I don't think I was at that match but Finn Harps would be our local rivals, who thankfully we tend to beat whenever we run into them. This is now in friendlies and cup games as they're in the league below. As for the scaffolding health & safety deemed that it disappeared years ago.

Oh if you have Setanta Ireland you can see City take on the league leaders Sligo Rovers this evening. Heaven help us.

Cup semi final. The 1st half saw an abysmal abject performance, 1 down after 4 mins. Things marginally picked up in the 2nd and we earned a draw. Replay in Dublin on Wednesday.

Went to Dublin and we beat Shels 3 -0 in the replay. Off to the final now at the Aviva on the 4th of November, playing St Pat's.

Semi win followed up by another great win in Dublin, this time beating Shamrock Rovers 3-1. Rovers are now managed by Brian Laws.

That's all the fixtures in the league over. We finished a mediocre 5th, but that's with an inexperienced manager and little to no money.

Now for the showpiece final versus St Pat's at the Aviva Stadium this Sunday the 4th of November. C'mon City!!

Thanks very much Tom. My voice has gone from singing and my nerves were frayed during the game. 3-2 winners.

The first half was pretty tense with both teams negating each other, so it was 0-0 at half time. The second half was a different animal. St Pat's took the lead with a superb free kick from about 20 yards out. The Candystripes hit back 2 mins later when the big Scot Stuart Greacan headed in an equaliser from a Barry McNamee corner. Derry then took the lead when a Pats defender knocked a short ball back to the keeper and with Stephen McLaughlin on hand to intercept the keeper brought him down in the box. The penalty was cooly despatched by sub Rory Patterson.
Derry then did what many teams do in this situation and sat back too much (although we had chances to win it on the counter) and with 3 mins remaining St Pat's equalised. The Derry keeper, Ger Doherty (who had buried his Grandfather that morning) made a fantastic save but the ball was knocked back in for a simple tap in. Que extra time.
St Pat's looked to have the momentum although both teams were on their last legs on the big Aviva (Landsdowne Rd) pitch. In the second period of extra time a mistake in the St Pat's rearguard left Rory Patterson against the last defender and keeper, strength and a wee bit of guile saw him place the ball in the back of the net for his second, and match winning goal. Patterson would be awarded the Man of the Match award.
The last 10 mins or so were nerve jangling with Pat's throwing everything at Derry. Derry broke with 2 against one only for the last pass to be rightfully called offside. Three minutes of injury time felt like three hours but the ref finally blew the final whistle leaving Derry the winners for the fifth time.

It's been a long and sometimes dreary slog this season with our home form being poor, although yesterday we did show, as our manager Declan Devine has said, when we have our full squad we can beat anyone.

Next season hopefully we'll not have to sell our four highest goalscorers and the young fellas will be a year older and wiser so who knows? Fingers crossed, onwards and upwards.

That's me for the League of Ireland season. One fantastic cup win, one cup final loss and fifth place. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read/reply. And a special thanks for the bright sparks thinking this up.

Now to get back to following Liverpool.....gulp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom