• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Didi vs Masher vs Other

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't really play the same role when they were here.

Didi was like a sentry patrolling the area in front of the back four, snuffing out attacks in that area. His positioning allowed his midfield partner to go where he pleased. Stevie had one of his best seasons playing alongside Didi.

Mascher went where he pleased, trying to win the ball back as early as possible. It was Xabi that sat in front of back four.

Mascherano from a tackling and tenacious point of view but Hamann from a positional and tactical point of view. It's also hard to judge unless you look at who they are playing alongside. No surprise that they both looked better alongside Alonso as he was more positionally astute and could also tackle well than when they played with more attacking players.

I absolutely loved Mascherano. I was a bit too young to appreciate Hamann at the peak of his powers.

I wouldn't say that Mcmahon or Whelan were DM's . They were both all round centre midfielders. Whelan's tackling only really came to the fore when he played in the centre as when he played left midfield I remember him more as an offensive player. Not a winger but a wide midfielder like Ray Houghton.

In over 50 years of supporting Liverpool I have never seen a tackler as good as Masher. We've certainly had better footballing DMs or DM-type players (of whom Didi was one), but purely and simply as a ball-winner Masher was the best of them IMHO.

As an all-rounder though, the best we've ever had doing the midfield nitty-gritty hasn't been mentioned yet - Graeme Souness. Hard to the point of viciousness (even I cringed at some of his tackling), he was also a canny short-range passer (not so strong on long passes, but we didn't play that way much anyway) and got more than his fair share of goals too. He skippers my version of the All-Time XI.

In over 50 years of supporting Liverpool I have never seen a tackler as good as Masher. We've certainly had better footballing DMs or DM-type players (of whom Didi was one), but purely and simply as a ball-winner Masher was the best of them IMHO.

As an all-rounder though, the best we've ever had doing the midfield nitty-gritty hasn't been mentioned yet - Graeme Souness. Hard to the point of viciousness (even I cringed at some of his tackling), he was also a canny short-range passer (not so strong on long passes, but we didn't play that way much anyway) and got more than his fair share of goals too. He skippers my version of the All-Time XI.

And his punching wasnt bad either

That tw@t had been kicking our players all night, which was a mistake in itself since Souey as skipper tended to take such things rather personally, but then he made the mistake of his miserable life and barged Souey himself off a high ball, so he got what he richly deserved. Souey's shins were kicked to tatters in the return leg over there, and he didn't turn a hair. What a player.

Mascher for me, Didi tends to be very under rated by none Liverpool fans but he was never the best in the worlf at what he did. Mascher at his peak was as good a DM as anybody around. He made a tit of himself to get his move to Barca and that probably colours peoples opinion of him but he was world class during his time with us.

Yea. I hate to be one of those people but Mascherano was basically head hunted by what was the best team in the world.

Yea. I hate to be one of those people but Mascherano was basically head hunted by what was the best team in the world.

Isn't that how most transfers work?

Anyway, it probably applies least to Mascherano out of any other player Barcelona have signed recently: "LET'S BUY ONE OF THE WORLDS BEST DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS WHO WON'T EVEN GET INTO OUR MIDFIELD SO WE'LL PLAY HIM AT CB"

What, like no transfer ever failed to work out the way the buyers expected? They wanted Masher all right, and that alone tells you how he was regarded in the football world.

69.jpg

How old are you?

27. So 17 at Istanbul which was his last game. He was at his best what 3 or 4 years before that? When I didn't really have a great appreciation for the less glamorous side of the game, like positioning and tactical awareness etc etc.

27. So 17 at Istanbul which was his last game. He was at his best what 3 or 4 years before that? When I didn't really have a great appreciation for the less glamorous side of the game, like positioning and tactical awareness etc etc.
Ah right. I thought you were going to tell us you're 17 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom