• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Divorce... WTF?!?!

I can only pass on my sincerest best wishes and hopes that those who are going through such sadness will find happiness and solace in the near future.

And, as Ryan noted, this thread is bringing out the best in the forum: genuine compassion and caring. Regardless of what life throws at you in the future, YNWA.

Getting pissed an having a laugh and ridderling LOADS of slags will become normal soon. Hope ya alright lad. But go out and have some fun. Have a laugh and then like be boss to ya kids or whatever.

So sad to read about your trouble, Dallas. Can't give you any first hand advice since I haven't gone through any similar process, but I can imagine the pain you're going through, and it's heartbreaking.
Be strong, my friend, my sympathy to you.
And remember "Hold your head up high... At the end of the storm there's a golden sky!"

Thanks for all the kind wishes and toughts, lads... We really do have a great group of posters here.

Great advice, Spion, and that's the same advice that I've gotten everywhere I turn. The girls are the only thing getting me through all this, and I think it does speak to how well we've both been about not destroying the other in front of them, or using them as leverage against each other, that they're both handling all this quite well... There have been sad moments, of course (Sunday was the worst day of my life), but they've adjusted well and are still their old selves 99% of the time. To be honest, neither Amy nor my individual relationships with the girls have changed, so they're still doing everything that they used to with each of us, they now just doing it somewhere different when they're with her.

There are two holidays coming up in late July and early August that will be tough, I'm sure. Amy's taking them to the beach for 4 or 5 nights and then I take them to Vancouver for a week... They'll both be sad that the other parent's not there too. As will I. But what can you do?

I go to a divorce support group - very like an AA meeting - and it helps to talk. You are all right, that there are many out there in far worse positions than me... I do get that. I hear horror stories of spouces running off with best friends and even family members, false accusations of battery and even pedophailia. There are some nasty cnuts out there.

But, even know how much worse it could be, it still stings, every single fucking day. Without being all Hollywood dramatic, it really is everything they say it is... At times the walls really do close in on you. Everywhere I go, it's without her. Everything I do, it's without her. And it's the silly shit, that you'd never even contemplate, that really knock you out - We used to watch that 'Bachelorette' nonsense on TV, to laugh at the insanity of the people involved. It was 'our' silly thing. Now, when it comes on, it floors me. Likewise, watching Harry Potter without her on Saturday was fucking torture.

I know that it will get better, but I also know that it will take time. It also doesn't help that she's not skipped a beat since leaving... I've seen more of my wife in a tiny little bikini on Facebook in the past month than I did in real life in the past two years! But, this is what she wanted, so I shouldn't be surprised that she's 'adjusted' better to our situation than I have... "It's hard for me too", she assures me regularly, but it's not so fucking hard that she's had a moment's hesitation in doing it!

I made some mistakes and I have my flaws, but I don't deserve this, which is the hardest thing to accept... I know that sounds like I'm wallowing and feeling sorry for myself, but 1) I am, and 2) it's true. Amy's friends (most of whom now ignore me) used to always tell me that they longed for a man who loved them as completely and passionately as I loved her - They were so happy that she had a man like me. Now I'm being traded in like a fucking used car AND I'm the villian of the piece. She left me, ffs! How does that work?

Two weeks before she told me that she hasn't been in love with me for more than half our marraige, she FB'd to the world that I was her best friend, her strength, her rock and the best husband and father that she could ever have chosen for her and our kids... Last night she told me that I've been controlling and bullying her for 13 years! Nice, huh? "Why did I get a second date?", I asked. The fact that we both know that she's lying and just trying to hurt me doesn't make it any easier...

I could go on for days, but what's the point..? As I've been told by more than one person (that I would have hoped for a little more understand and compassion from) I just need to "grow up", "be an adult" and "suck it up" because "this stuff happens every day". Yeah, well not in my marraige it doesn't. And not in any marraige where both people are trying to make it work.

Unfortunately, it takes two people wanting to be married to make a marraige work. It only takes one to make a successful divorce.

Thanks for listening - I'm sure there'll be more as the horrible, final day approaches. I apologise in advance.

And special thoughts to you Avvy. Sorry I haven't replied lately - crazy busy - but I feel your pain. Believe me.

very sad to hear of all these problems you're all having. only cliches to offer i'm afraid - hang in there, things can only can better - that, and whatever you do, don't answer the door to any jehovah's witnesses.

I'm going to be ridiculed and mocked at big time as I type what I'm about to share, but it's ok. I'm not typing it to gain personal attention or prove anything either. I also have no intention of disrespecting any of the Muslim readers here too. Rather I hope that whoever is reading this will know that there is a narrow path in life that many choose not to take. It's a path that I found myself walking a few years back - only because I had nowhere else to go.

I haven't been through a divorce so I can't really say I know how it feels. However, I've been through many rough times throughout my life...frankly, rough doesn't really come close. Let's just say, I've been to hell and back. I won't bore you all with the details.

For 20 years I have been trying to escape from this hole I fell into, only to fall deeper each time I try my best to crawl my way up. Gradually my strength to fight on, to survive..began to wane. Eventually I had lost the plot and decided to just end it all. Attempted 3 times but failed.

Yes, I was a loser. That's what many would call me back then. But what they didn't realize was not too long ago before I fell into the hole, I was larging it big time. I lived a very hedonistic life, had lots of fun, did many things my mates back then would call - cool. 'Mates'. I thought they were until my problems started and one by one began to walk out.

D'you know the feeling - just when you thought you've made progress, failure hits you in the head and you fall back two steps. Then you muster more strength than before and give it another go. And then, disappointment slaps you in the face and you fall down again. And then your so-called 'mates' spout Carnegie tripe to you - 'Great people achieve success through many failures', trying to rally you on. Well I've failed so many times but then how come I haven't achieved my success ? How come I am not great yet ?

I was kinda in that spiral and couldn't get out. No matter how hard I try. Then just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it did. I lost my loved ones. Then my savings. Then my job. Then my health. My 'mates'. Eventually, even my family turned against me cos they saw the rot I was in and the failure I had become. But worst of all, I lost the will to live. Of all ppl, I would never imagine I would be one of them - you know, 'weak'. I used to jeer at ppl who are depressed - thinking they are just losers or lame ppl who are just lazy to live life like every other normal person. But here I was - forced to eat humble pie. The thing with depression is - it eats away your confidence slowly and silently, without you realizing it. You'd deny it thinking that a shag or a pill would bring you back to the real world. But it *IS* reality. After coming down from each high, reality sets in and then it hits you hard. It hurts. But then you think - I'm a man. I can do this. And so, you go out there and look for whatever cheap thrills and pleasures that this dark world can offer - hoping that it can alleviate the misery and remove the emptiness deep down in your soul, not realizing that each thrill we seek, it etches a part of our sanity and morality away. And so, I sunk deeper into this hole - this vicious cycle that I unknowingly found myself in.

Consequently, it became so bad that I had lost my appetite to eat. I was afraid to sleep too because nightmares would haunt me and I would sometimes find myself waking up with tears, not remembering anything in the nightmare, except that I knew that I had just awakened from one. Yet, I didn't have a clue what the heck was happening to me, and how to get out of this spiral.

The feeling of coming so far in life only to lose everything and the thought of starting all over again...man, it felt like you'd just climbed Everest and thought you'd made it to safety only to see that you've got a 50 more Everests to climb. I was exhausted. With life.

When death is staring at you, mocking you with that cocksure arrogance that you'll be his in no time, and you've tried all sorts to save yourself but to no avail, eventually you'll try the last thing that you'll never imagine yourself doing from the beginning.

I remembered I had 'stolen' a Bible from a hotel once, many yrs ago - for whatever reasons I couldnt remember. I opened it and tried to read some verses from it thinking it had some sort of 'magical' powers within that could break the 'spell' I was in. Didn't have a clue what it was saying. I closed it and desperately cried out - "Jesus or God or whoever You are - if You are real, please help/save me !!"

Then something happened. It wasn't immediate nor was it like a zap of lightning. Nope, no instant miracles either. But what did happen was - I found myself attending Church for the first time in donkey years. The pastor was preaching a sermon on something - but I was struggling to pay attention, like most ppl do. I was definitely NOT the regular church-going type of person prior to this !

But there was a part in his sermon that made my heart shiver. It gave me goosebumps - didn't know why either. But amongst all that preaching, there was a still, silent and gentle voice that was sort of saying to me - "I know and I understand". Then the floodgates opened. Big tough guy that I was - weeping like a baby. Never before in my life has anyone said those words to me. Not even my family, my parents or anyone close to me. Someone knew what I was going through ! And He understood the struggles and pains !

Is this for real, I thought to myself. Is it God ?

I went home trying to make out what just happened but kinda gave up after awhile. Things didn't really improve after that. Except that I had gained some of my confidence back. Was eating and sleeping better. Decided to take a holiday out of the country and I partied hard and my old self was slowly coming to life again.

After returning, again i found myself going to church more and more. After a few months later, I decided to give my life to Christ and got baptized. And you know when Jesus said that when a believer is baptized, His Holy Spirit comes into him/her like a dove. Well, call it weird or whatever, it did. In a very powerful way.

It wasn't like a 'wow' thing or feeling. But I was smiling the whole day during and after my baptism. There was an inner peace that no words can explain. It was as if all the jigsaws in my life for the last 15-20 years have been solved. There was this unexplainable joy and peace that absolutely NOTHING in this world (and I've tried most things prior to this - drugs, sex, you name it, I've pretty much done a lot of it !) could give. All the hatred and rage I had disappeared ! I was a very violent, hot-tempered person too. Until that day, when it all made sense. When it all changed.

That was 4 years ago. Today, I am learning more about God, who He is and what He's like, and why am I here. I understand Him better now. He's definitely not as cruel the world accuses or makes him out to be ! In fact, His love is the most amazing and indescribable you'll ever find. He *IS* love ! God has blessed me what I've lost previously, twice-fold and much, much more. Yet I'm willing and happy to give up all that He's restored because I've now found the Blesser. Material things don't mean anything to me anymore.

I'm a much better person than before - still a sinner. I mean, we all are one way or another. We can do the most good in the world, but still we'll fall short of God's standards of perfection. Although I'm not sinless, I definitely sin less than before.

As crazy and 'uncool' as it sounds, Jesus is my everything now. He's shaping me into a man that I never thought I could be and knowing the fact that eternity awaits, that just gives me so much hope to live this life. Whatever struggles I face in this life, I know I can count on The Greatest to face them head-on together with Him on my side, and He will win. He already has. On the Cross.

C.S. Lewis once said this - "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us."

John 3:16-17 (NLT) - “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son (Jesus), so that everyone who believes in him (Jesus) will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him."

Sounds all baloney ? It was - in the beginning. But what IF, (spare a moment here pls guys), what IF all these 'baloney' is ALL true ? That this Jesus person is REAL and that what was said about Him was and is all TRUE ? Wouldn't it be a costly bet to risk your chips against ? After all, it's a life and death OR theologically put, a HEAVEN and HELL issue we're talking about. *IF* what they say is true about Heaven being a place with no more pain, tears, misery, suffering, death and sin, a place of eternal joy and peace and fellowship with our Creator and hell being a place filled with eternal fires and screams of pain and levels of suffering that is x10000000 much worse than what is experienced on earth, unlike the hedonistic haven of pleasures that man would like to believe is.....what if what Scriptures (Bible) say are all true ? Would it be too late then ?

Whaddapie, I do not know what you're exactly going through but I'm very sure Someone divine and much higher than us does. And He cares. A lot. As a Christian, it's my way of showing my care, concern and thoughts to your good self - by praying for you. I am praying for you bro.

Take care bro and may you find an answer and a way out of all these one day.

PS : If I have been in anyway coming across as self-righteous, I sincerely apologize. It was never my intention. It's just that I do care a lot and do feel for you.
PPS : Definitely not a Jehovah's Witness myself either too ! lol

I love that story where your life is like a walk on the beach with jesus beside you and you look back at the really tough times and notice there's only one set of footprints on the beach and you say "hey there Jesus, why was there only one set of footprints when my life was super hard?" and he says ''During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I was on my broomstick".

Seriously though, glad you found your thing My_Blood_bleeds_red.

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

I couldn't think of anything to say but I felt compelled to post something. This came to mind.

Blimey lads. A few of you are going through the mill alright. I can only begin to understand what you're all going through and I'm sure there's plenty of twists and turns along the way but there will be a day where things will become clearer and you'll live your life in some happiness again. And, MBBR, what you attempted is never the right way out. I'm not having a pop out your or anything but I just feel it's a selfish thing to do and would emotionally destroy who care a lot about you la, even if you feel at times they don't. I'm glad you've found something that's set you on the right path. There's nothing to ridicule in my view either and I'm glad you felt you could share it. That seems a sign of moving on in itself.

I'm hoping all those who are having a rough time at the moment get their problems resolved and can go about their day wearing a smile again.

To lighten the mood a little.

It's in threads like this I think......What would Brendan say?

[quote author=Krump link=topic=46147.msg1367433#msg1367433 date=1311117215]
Remember Igor Biscuits? He had that one good game against Manure.
[/quote]

He had a good game against Depor in the CL.

I've never been married, but my parents divorced when I was little. Firstly, I would like to briefly stick up for women. I think some people have been adversely affected by their own experiences but I can assure you that it is not always the woman who uses the children as a weapon, or even tries to poison them against the father. It can happen the other way around as well. It really depends on the individual, rather than the gender.

The one piece of advice I would offer is, however much your partner may attempt to poison the kids against you, or use them as a weapon, never be tempted to do the same in return. Be the bigger person. Quite simply, just be the person you've always been. A bit of consistency for a child in such turmoil can be a real source of comfort. If you have faith in the way you've brought your children up, then have faith in their judgement. They may not fully understand everything when they're young, but when they grow up, they'll love and respect you for it. They'll know, in retrospect, that you allowed them to make their own minds up, free of prejudice. They'll know that their happiness was more important to you than point-scoring. And you'll know that you did the best by them.

My thoughts go out to all who are struggling at the moment. Hopefully you can find a tiny bit of solace on here.

A chara - so sorry to hear. Things can only get better from here. Fair play on the support group - completely indispensable and once you keep talking it'll get better. Can never understand why someone would want away from a young family - those are the happy days. The kids will be ok, especially if you are a good man and you are always talking about your girls on here so am sure you are! But you will be tested, and it will get easier eventually.

Hope you don't mind the advice, but felt compelled to reach out - hard to hear now, but maybe a better future awaits. Hard when your over here as well. Kids are made of strong stuff. Once you keep it healthy with the wife in front of them, they will adapt. Deffo.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=46147.msg1366980#msg1366980 date=1311045411]
Avvy, I did not want to read between the lines regarding your missus. Sorry that it is rough now. But the two of you actually can pull it together again if both of you still want to try. Tough for now since both of you are apart. Hang in there to whatever feelings both of you still have for each other. Whatever the situations are, they can be overcome. All you need to do is to want it. That is the first step. PM me if you need help as I have friends in KL who can help.

Regarding your job situation. It is tough working for your juniors. Have you thought of starting on your own? I did. Might work out for the long run. Tough for beginning.
[/quote]

Thanks, Mike.

I do want to work on it, but I dont think she does. I'll ty and talk to her when she's home, but when someone says they don't love you anymore I'm not sure if there's anything to work with, especially when there looks to be someone else. Would be nice if she'd told me 3 years ago before I shut everything down to go to England.

I'm still in 2 minds about doing that, Mike. I was in business for nearly 3 years with someone i thought was my best friend. I basically got burnt, and whilst I wasnt bankrupt or anything, there was hardly anything to show for 3 years of hard graft. That was one additional reason why I closed my business down. I might try again, but at the moment doing nothing seems safer. Can't fail again if you do nothing.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=46147.msg1367445#msg1367445 date=1311121149]
I've never been married, but my parents divorced when I was little. Firstly, I would like to briefly stick up for women. I think some people have been adversely affected by their own experiences but I can assure you that it is not always the woman who uses the children as a weapon, or even tries to poison them against the father. It can happen the other way around as well. It really depends on the individual, rather than the gender.

The one piece of advice I would offer is, however much your partner may attempt to poison the kids against you, or use them as a weapon, never be tempted to do the same in return. Be the bigger person. Quite simply, just be the person you've always been. A bit of consistency for a child in such turmoil can be a real source of comfort. If you have faith in the way you've brought your children up, then have faith in their judgement. They may not fully understand everything when they're young, but when they grow up, they'll love and respect you for it. They'll know, in retrospect, that you allowed them to make their own minds up, free of prejudice. They'll know that their happiness was more important to you than point-scoring. And you'll know that you did the best by them.

My thoughts go out to all who are struggling at the moment. Hopefully you can find a tiny bit of solace on here.
[/quote]

Excellent post if I may say so.

I typed a very long reply and the internet hung! I am not going to retype all that! I am simplifying everything and may sound condescending here. Sorry.

Whad, so sorry to hear she left you! Hopefully she will come to her sense and not throw away 13 years for some romp in the sun!

Avvy, starting a business is always slow and risky, takes time to build. Can you do freelance and build up while you are working for others?

While she might have told you she does not love you it can mean she want you to prove to her that you desperately love her. Until she say there is someone in her life, do not believe what others say. Even if she tells you there is someone, it can be a signal for you to woo her back. Non verbal communications are so important for her while non verbal ones are very important too. We men have to learn the art of communication with women.

Whether we like it or not, we men are incomplete without women! It is hard work but the fruit is very sweet when all these work out.

My help for all the people in the thread going through tough times, and using my psychological expertise, I can only add the following

Women are mental and rubbish

Sorry to hear about the issues you are grappling with too Avvy...

Hope Liverpool can win the whole shebang this season to bring some, albeit, small joy into you and Whaddapie's lives.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=46147.msg1367504#msg1367504 date=1311150351]
I typed a very long reply and the internet hung! I am not going to retype all that! I am simplifying everything and may sound condescending here. Sorry.

Whad, so sorry to hear she left you! Hopefully she will come to her sense and not throw away 13 years for some romp in the S**!

Avvy, starting a business is always slow and risky, takes time to build. Can you do freelance and build up while you are working for others?

While she might have told you she does not love you it can mean she want you to prove to her that you desperately love her. Until she say there is someone in her life, do not believe what others say. Even if she tells you there is someone, it can be a signal for you to woo her back. Non verbal communications are so important for her while non verbal ones are very important too. We men have to learn the art of communication with women.

Whether we like it or not, we men are incomplete without women! It is hard work but the fruit is very sweet when all these work out.
[/quote]

Perhaps I'm straddling a cultural divide here, but I think that's slightly dangerous advice, to be honest. It could lead to even more heartache, and an even more protracted breakup. As hard as it is, I think deep down you know when a relationship is over. Only Avvy can truly know that, so it's really his call. If he knows it is, my advice would be to muster the courage to retain your dignity and walk away from her. It may not seem like it at the time, but it's an act of self-preservation in the long run.

Besides, it's not some game show whereby the man has to prove he is worthy of the woman. And if she expects him to go to great lengths to prove his worth then there is a lack of balance in the relationship anyway. Surely men deserve to be loved, too? Being rejected every day by someone you love is soul-destroying, and isn't fair on you. If you know it's over, do yourself a favour and walk away. It's the only weay the healing process can start. Just trust that there is someone else out there who, when the time comes, will return your love unconditionally.

[quote author=Delinquent link=topic=46147.msg1367515#msg1367515 date=1311152874]
[quote author=Y1 link=topic=46147.msg1367504#msg1367504 date=1311150351]

Whad, so sorry to hear she left you! Hopefully she will come to her sense and not throw away 13 years for some romp in the S**!

[/quote]

Perhaps I'm straddling a cultural divide here, but I think that's slightly dangerous advice, to be honest. It could lead to even more heartache, and an even more protracted breakup. As hard as it is, I think deep down you know when a relationship is over. Only Avvy can truly know that, so it's really his call. If he knows it is, my advice would be to muster the courage to retain your dignity and walk away from her. It may not seem like it at the time, but it's an act of self-preservation in the long run.

Besides, it's not some game show whereby the man has to prove he is worthy of the woman. And if she expects him to go to great lengths to prove his worth then there is a lack of balance in the relationship anyway. Surely men deserve to be loved, too? Being rejected every day by someone you love is soul-destroying, and isn't fair on you. If you know it's over, do yourself a favour and walk away. It's the only weay the healing process can start. Just trust that there is someone else out there who, when the time comes, will return your love unconditionally.
[/quote]

Just as I dread being lopsided for simplifying.

True, only Avvy knows whether the relationship is truly over but as far as I can read, it is not. Communications with anyone is difficult at the best of times, especially so for newly marrieds. The first few years are difficult time of adjustments, though the medium term has its challenges too. Given the stress of Avvy and Mrs in changing jobs, losing jobs, countries, marriage, etc, the stress is enough to cause bewilderment for anyone. If that is the cause, it can be overcome.

Why give up so easily when you know you love her? Yes I agree that she also has to do her part to show her love but as you know, sometime, maybe a lot of the time, that is not how it works. We men still has to be the knight to the rescue!

I think there's definitely a cultural difference there.

If someone, be it the male or female, tells their partner they want to split up here, then that's it. If the dumped one then chases the other they'd usually get arrested for stalking.

If it is purely cultural, why is whad feeling such agony? Why are so much literature written on love?

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=46147.msg1367542#msg1367542 date=1311156022]
I think there's definitely a cultural difference there.

If someone, be it the male or female, tells their partner they want to split up here, then that's it. If the dumped one then chases the other they'd usually get arrested for stalking.
[/quote]

Depends how they go about it. There are a whole range of different ways of trying to save a relationship. By no means all of them constitute stalking.

Back
Top Bottom