• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dwayne Peel

What was he dropped for JJ ?

I saw him play recently and he seemed good.

That's the thing, Ross, no reason's been given and like you I don't know what Peel's done wrong. Phillips is in good form but Wales preferring Cooper as well, to the total exclusion of Peel (this time anyway), surprises me and I was hoping some of our Welsh Reds could shed some light here. It'll have Lions implications too of course.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=30635.msg783138#msg783138 date=1232398498]
Deservedly dropped?
[/quote]

No.

I know he hasn't been playing regularly recently but he was playing rather well for Wales in the recent Tests.

One thind that doesn't count in his favour is that Gatland said when he first took charge that players that now choose to play there rugby outside of Wales could well find it difficult to get selected.......Peel was the 1st player to move.

Add to that that the golden boy (Phillips) is now fully fit and i think it made it easier for Gatland to make a point.

Peel has played more rugby this season than both Phillips and Cooper - it's not a matter of game time.
Despite when Gatland announced the policy of not selecting from teams out of Wales he exempted Peel from this (as his deal was done prior to the announcement), he seems to be suffering as a result of this policy. Similarly, Cooper was released by Gloucester for the game v Australia in the autumn despite being outside of the IRB sanctioned window. Sale did not release Peel. It could be that Gatland is trying to get Peel to kick up a fuss at Sale in order that that situation doesn't occur again.

Either way, it's a bizzare selection to only have 3 SH's in the squad, what happens if one of the SH turns an ankle in the pre-match warm up? This isn't as big a deal as only 2 Hookers in the squad (Shane can always cover SH if needs be) in my opinion. Hibbard was very unlucky to not get selected when his reserve at the Ospreys did.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=30635.msg784066#msg784066 date=1232464665]
Peel has played more rugby this season than both Phillips and Cooper - it's not a matter of game time.
Despite when Gatland announced the policy of not selecting from teams out of Wales he exempted Peel from this (as his deal was done prior to the announcement), he seems to be suffering as a result of this policy. Similarly, Cooper was released by Gloucester for the game v Australia in the autumn despite being outside of the IRB sanctioned window. Sale did not release Peel. It could be that Gatland is trying to get Peel to kick up a fuss at Sale in order that that situation doesn't occur again.

Either way, it's a bizzare selection to only have 3 SH's in the squad, what happens if one of the SH turns an ankle in the pre-match warm up? This isn't as big a deal as only 2 Hookers in the squad (Shane can always cover SH if needs be) in my opinion. Hibbard was very unlucky to not get selected when his reserve at the Ospreys did.
[/quote]

Has Peel played more than either Phillips (Phillips was always going to come straight back in once fit again) or Cooper over the last 6-8 weeks? I was under the impression that he hadn't been starting hardly at all this season?

Agreed about Hibbard, i really rate the guy and thought he was a cert.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=30635.msg784072#msg784072 date=1232465227]
Has Peel played more than either Phillips (Phillips was always going to come straight back in once fit again) or Cooper over the last 6-8 weeks? I was under the impression that he hadn't been starting hardly at all this season?

[/quote]

Phillips has only played 4 games since coming back from injury and has a way to go to recover some form in my opinion.
I too thought that Cooper had played more than Peel this season, but when I sat down and worked it out, it turns out that Peel has had nearly 200 minutes more game time than Cooper. And some of that game time has been against significantly better opposition (e.g. Munster, Clermont). That said, Cooper is the man in possession of the shirt and in his last game for Wales we beat the Aussies.
Still I'd be more comfortable with a 30-man squad with Hibbard and Peel in it. Maybe the WRU are after saving £120K in win bonuses if we get another Grand Slam! ;)

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=30635.msg784078#msg784078 date=1232465810]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=30635.msg784072#msg784072 date=1232465227]

[/quote]

Phillips has only played 4 games since coming back from injury and has a way to go to recover some form in my opinion.
I too thought that Cooper had played more than Peel this season, but when I sat down and worked it out, it turns out that Peel has had nearly 200 minutes more game time than Cooper. And some of that game time has been against significantly better opposition (e.g. Munster, Clermont). That said, Cooper is the man in possession of the shirt and in his last game for Wales we beat the Aussies.
Still I'd be more comfortable with a 30-man squad with Hibbard and Peel in it. Maybe the WRU are after saving £120K in win bonuses if we get another Grand Slam! ;)
[/quote]

How do you fancy our chances (i see the bookies make us favourites)?

As long as we give the english a good kicking I'll be reasonably happy.

It'll be interesting to see if Henson comes straight back in, I wouldn't mind seeing him and Roberts together in the centre.

In my eyes it's a no-brainer to bring Henson straight back in. He head and shoulders above anyone else we could play at 12. I'd stick with him and Shanks in the centres.
Roberts on the bench covering 12-15.

I think we've got one hell of a test first up, especially if the Scottish weather decends on Murrayfield.
I think if England insist on trying to play a running game whilst having no backs to play that game then we should win easily - if they play kick and clap then it'll be a lot tougher.
France - who knows!
Italy - Should be a win
Ireland will be very tough and could and should turn out to be the Championship decider. I very much doubt there will be a Grand Slam by any team this year.

I certainly don't believe the 'as long as we beat the English' mantra. We're better than that - we've beaten them 3 out of the last 4 six nations games. We should be targeting 4 wins minimum.

[quote author=bryndaloo link=topic=30635.msg784131#msg784131 date=1232469694]
In my eyes it's a no-brainer to bring Henson straight back in. He head and shoulders above anyone else we could play at 12. I'd stick with him and Shanks in the centres.
Roberts on the bench covering 12-15.

I think we've got one hell of a test first up, especially if the Scottish weather decends on Murrayfield.
I think if England insist on trying to play a running game whilst having no backs to play that game then we should win easily - if they play kick and clap then it'll be a lot tougher.
France - who knows!
Italy - Should be a win
Ireland will be very tough and could and should turn out to be the Championship decider. I very much doubt there will be a Grand Slam by any team this year.

I certainly don't believe the 'as long as we beat the English' mantra. We're better than that - we've beaten them 3 out of the last 4 six nations games. We should be targeting 4 wins minimum.
[/quote]

Mate I'm expecting more of course, but beating the english (and beating them well) is always a very pleasurable event in itself.

Like you I'm not so sure we'll be able to repeat last years results, but a top 2 finish should be well within our grasp.

Anyone see the news about Matt Stevens ?

He failed a drugs test, he admitted he had an addiction to a drug. Not a performance enhancing one.

Just seen the interview on SSN's he looked like he was almost going to cry. It sounds like hes been partying a little to hard and enjoying a few class a's. Thats 2 years of his career down the drain.

What a desperate shame for a fine player and fundamentally a decent lad. I really hope he can turn it around, for his own sake above all.

It does explain why he's never really made the breakthrough that he should have by now.

Back
Top Bottom