1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

England Tour of Bangladesh

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Mersey86, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mersey86

Mersey86 Unknown Member

Squad to be announced tomorrow - it's believed that Hameed of Lancashire will be selected.  Fair enough, though a few other openers have staked a claim:

I'd go with:  Cook, Jennings, Hameed; Ballance, Root, Bairstow, Duckett, Roy; Stokes, Moeen;  Rashid, Leach; Wood, Anderson, Broad, Finn.

I'm not sure you can get away with Duckett as reserve 'keeper, so maybe pick Buttler instead of Roy and leave Duckett as a batsman only.  I'd also be tempted to leave out Finn for Sam Curran, but probably being influenced by latest round of championship games for Curran and Roy.  Gubbins, Bell-Drummond or Lees could also justify and opener's slot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. tony

tony Guest

Is Jennings qualified yet? not sure but amazing amount of runs and at Durham too! I think Sam Curran will be a brilliant all rounder for England in the future but is only 18 and won't get the swing in the subcontinent he relies on over here. Hales has definitely shot himself in the foot by not touring. Lees has been unlucky not to get picked imho , however Duckett looks ready to me. If he does well in the one dayers I reckon he's nailed on for the openers slot in the tests and a good score against Bangladesh could make it difficult to drop him against India. Exciting times for batters we have loads of young talent developing.
    Not sure about Batty and Anzari as spin options, we desperately need a decent spinner,it is a bit unfortunate so little first class cricket is played mid summer now with all the emphasis on one day cricket in the middle of the season, when pitches should be more conducive to spin. I think it does hamper their development.

3. Mersey86

Mersey86 Unknown Member

Batty is a particularly odd choice.

4. tony

tony Guest

Looks as if Duckett has done enough in the odi's to get the openers spot. Good news because he is class! God knows who gets the spinners berth, the schedule of one two day match before the tests is mad even under the circumstances. I suppose it will be Rashid and Ali, neither who bowled all that well in the odi's. Batty and Ansari have hardly bowled! Although Rashid took the most wickets he didn't bowl very well as far as I'm concerned. Two hit me long hops in most overs, although the dew was an issue in the first game no excuses for the other two. I think we may have trouble getting the wickets on the very flat pitches that are likely.

5. Mersey86

Mersey86 Unknown Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 spinners:

Cook, Duckett, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen, Ansari, Woakes, Rashid, Broad.

6. tony

tony Guest

Managed to catch a lot of that today, mostly from behind of the sofa - unbelievably tense!  what a great test match. Lets hope that was a match winning performance there from Stokes, that was a very mature innings from him, shame he dipped out on the ton.

7. Mersey86

Mersey86 Unknown Member

Yes - great game, and a very good win for England.  Changes for the second test?  Ansari in?  For Woakes? Rashid?  Hameed for Ballance perhaps?  I suspect Ballance will be the only one to drop out with Ansari or, more probably Hameed, his replacement.

8. tony

tony Guest

Have to say the England seamers were magnificent, really skillful controlled reverse swing and cutters yesterday and today.
    I'm not so sure about the changes. I saw the interview this morning with Bayliss and it didn't sound like they were dropping Balance any time soon. I guess they will want to look at the pitch but on the face of what was said I suspect they will go with an unchanged side. How many times has Balance been caught leg slip since he came back in the side? ridiculous really, he should have sorted that out by know!

9. kingjulian

kingjulian Very Active Member

I must admit, I like Cricket more when England lose.

10. tony

tony Guest

Ha fair play - I will be having a chuckle myself when SA are battered down under