1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

English Cricket/ *The Ashes*!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by SummerOnions, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Squiggles

Squiggles Guest

2. wewonitfivetimes

wewonitfivetimes SCM Follower Member

[quote author=Portly link=topic=41229.msg1245509#msg1245509 date=1294387757]
    It's funny how, whenever any international team of any sport goes through a bad spell, the national newspapers start diagnosing the fundamental reasons for the decline and lots of bollocks is written. livescore goalwire

Some voices in the Australian media are apparently saying that England has an advantage over Australia, because our County Championship gives English players much more practice than the Aussie players get with their Sheffield Shield, which I think is basically a knockout competition.

I find this richly ironic, because when the Aussie bastards were knocking the stuffing out of England, the Australian newspapers said that it was because their Sheffield Shield was much more competitive than our County Championship. ;D
    [/quote]

That's what I was thinking!! We were told how perfect the Aussie sporting infrastructure was + how we had to copy it!!

They just had a generation of world-class players come through at once + are paying the price for not planning for after they retired.

The Aussie press have been overly harsh on them though, mainly because they refused to give England praise - it is always them playing badly than us playing well!!!

3. kingjulian

kingjulian Very Active Member

Most of what the press is saying is bullshit.

Australia had and i think still has reasonable bench strength. There is a huge crisis of confidence that needs to be addressed first. Even the current starting line up has 7 or 8 really really good players. (ponting, clarke, hussey, watto, johnson, bollinger, siddle, haddin are all top quality players.)

They need a leader of men first and foremost. Ponting is not that man unfortunately...he is still a boss player mind. His lack of leadership qualities is one of the main reason for this shit-fan scenario. Lack of planning on introducing and exposing bench players to this level of performance may have been another issue, but everything else about poor infrastructure/lack of talent etc is bullshit.

4. TheFasterBlade

TheFasterBlade ************************ Member

Can somebody please tell me who these eight 'Test-standard speedsters' are?

Because out of the cunts they put on the park, only Siddle got a pass.

The rest were absolute fucking *pants* barring Johnson's inexplicable spell in Perth.

5. Portly

Portly Top quality gammon. Member

The article by Will Swanton (I wonder if he is any relation of the late Jim Swanton, crusty old cricket journalist?) was just an example of a journo being deliberately provocative to sell newspapers, and therefore hardly deserves any comment.

His point about England having insufficient backup players was well and truly disproved, with Tremlett and Bresnan playing a full part in England's success. And on the batting side, there are several great players competing for Collingwood's place of whom Eoin Morgan is the front runner.

6. kingjulian

Andy Flower had a few words to say after the Ashes victory, and i was very impressed with all that he has said.

He is a very big reason for England doing very well, indeed, and he has set his sights at being the number one test team. I think if anyone could get England up to that level it is Andy Flower.

I didn't think much of Cook as a batsman, but the turn-around he has shown under Flower is significant, and i'm certain Flower has had a significant role in that considering what a gun batsman he was.

It's similar in a way to how Gambhir really improved under Kirsten.

Andy Flower is a top man!

7. Squiggles

Squiggles Guest

Cook is man of the series, surely?

With Trott, Anderson and Tremlett not too far behind.

8. kingjulian

[quote author=Portly link=topic=41229.msg1246142#msg1246142 date=1294484106]
    The article by Will Swanton (I wonder if he is any relation of the late Jim Swanton, crusty old cricket journalist?) was just an example of a journo being deliberately provocative to sell newspapers, and therefore hardly deserves any comment.

His point about England having insufficient backup players was well and truly disproved, with Tremlett and Bresnan playing a full part in England's success. And on the batting side, there are several great players competing for Collingwood's place of whom Eoin Morgan is the front runner.
    [/quote]

Morgan's first class record is not impressive at all, but it seems the team management really rates him and that he will get a run.

9. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1246375#msg1246375 date=1294491010]
    Andy Flower had a few words to say after the Ashes victory, and i was very impressed with all that he has said.

He is a very big reason for England doing very well, indeed, and he has set his sights at being the number one test team. I think if anyone could get England up to that level it is Andy Flower.

I didn't think much of Cook as a batsman, but the turn-around he has shown under Flower is significant, and i'm certain Flower has had a significant role in that considering what a gun batsman he was.

It's similar in a way to how Gambhir really improved under Kirsten.

Andy Flower is a top man!
    [/quote]

Gooch is batting coach and I'm sure had loads to do with the improvement also.

10. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

Certainly, but Flower as head coach will have pulled the strings overall. I share my semi-namesake's high rating of him and I hope he sticks around for a long time to come.

11. RMA

RMA Active Member

England's Squad for the world cup -

Squad Andrew Strauss (capt), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Eoin Morgan, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy

Any of you guys making to out there? I will be there for most of the india matches (fingers crossed)

Oh and is anyone following the SA v IND odi series? Its been an absolute cracker so far!

12. Portly

The only surprise is the omission of the wicketkeeper/batsman Steven Davies in favour of Matt Prior. Although Davies is doing OK in Australia, Andy Flower reckons that Prior is better suited to conditions on the Sub-Continent.

13. RMA

RMA Active Member

[quote author=Portly link=topic=41229.msg1257007#msg1257007 date=1295447623]
    The only surprise is the omission of the wicketkeeper/batsman Steven Davies in favour of Matt Prior. Although Davies is doing OK in Australia, Andy Flower reckons that Prior is better suited to conditions on the Sub-Continent.
    [/quote]

I think with prior having played the host nations in more than 50% of his matches (ODI's) the experience factor can't be discounted - mind you his batting stats look really average http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/18675.html?class=2;orderby=batted_score;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

14. Portly

I think Prior's figures suffer because in ODI's he often has to come in to bat when the run rate needs to be accelerated. He often sacrifices his wicket in the interests of scoring quick runs.

15. kingjulian

[quote author=Portly link=topic=41229.msg1257044#msg1257044 date=1295449899]
    I think Prior's figures suffer because in ODI's he often has to come in to bat when the run rate needs to be accelerated. He often sacrifices his wicket in the interests of scoring quick runs.
    [/quote]

His strike rate is not that great either...

16. ricobats

ricobats Active Member

Can't believe Luke Wright manages to keep a place in the England one day set-up ahead of the likes of Bopara & Rashid who are potential match winners.

17. TheFasterBlade

TheFasterBlade ************************ Member

Picked up the Ashes highlights DVDs the other day, which is more or less 600 minutes of Alastair Cook late-cutting some hapless cunt for four.

I had forgotten just how dominant England were in that series.

At one point I thought they were going to start splicing in footage from the one day series just to bump up the Aussie batting content.

18. kingjulian

Anyone following the England vs SL series?

I didn't think Eng would pull off a victory in the previous test.....terrific bowling from the big man.

Trott/Cook and Bell are on a terrific run. I think they all average 60+ since Tortt made his debut. I didn't rate Cook as a batsmen at all...shows what i know. Never in a million years would i have guessed that Pietersen will struggle to emerge from the shadow of these three.

Sanga's poor form in England continues, which i find quite hard to understand.

19. kingjulian

Test Cricket time again!

England Vs India at Lords battling for number one position.

India have performed really poorly in the tour game at Taunton...but they usually have one or two collapses in any tout, it's good that they got one out the way in a tour game.

Still...England are slight favorites to do well in this.

20. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

I think both sides will do well and I'm hoping for a cracking series. Impossible to call IMO.